Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping out of second year & getting some form of compensation watch

(Original post by mcxo)
    At no point have I said that this isn't what I wanted to do. I had worked in the IT sector previously, I will be returning to the IT sector following completion. I haven't changed my mind over my direction.

The course does not deliver an adequate level of complexity. That is my qualm.
    No Hun I don't mean the subject you're taking. I mean the course at this specific uni isn't for you.

But you said in your OP that the work is of a very high level?

If you disliked the course from the start you should've attempted to maybe move to a uni which adheres to your standards. Also if this is an undergraduate qualification you're talking about, don't forget you're a mature student who has worked in the sector and has experience, and therefore you may find the content easier than students coming fresh out of sixth form or college. Maybe you should finish the course and do a postgrad, it might be enough of a challenge for you then
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mcxo)
    At no point have I said that this isn't what I wanted to do. I had worked in the IT sector previously, I will be returning to the IT sector following completion. I haven't changed my mind over my direction.

The course does not deliver an adequate level of complexity, depth and breadth. That is my qualm.
    I'll ask again, is it BCS accredited?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you're going to get anywhere with this. As far as breadth goes, your modules would have been available beforehand. In terms of depth/pace, well perhaps you simply haven't gone to a university that is appropriate for your intelligence level. I'm not sure what you mean by getting an 'inferior' qualification, do you mean you're getting bad grades as a result of the above? if so, then i think you need to take responsibility for that yourself or do you mean your university won't be well regarded? as you could have found out information about the university before going there.

Unless there is something seriously different to advertised I doubt you have any sort of case with this. You simply don't like your course, a lot of students are in that position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I'll ask again, is it BCS accredited?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe so, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcxo)
    The course does not deliver an adequate level of complexity, depth and breadth. That is my qualm.
    Do you think you should have applied for an MSc if you're finding this one too easy? Were you aware of the course content when you applied? Or are you saying the course is pitched at a level below what you would expect of an undergraduate degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I doubt you're going to get anywhere with this. As far as breadth goes, your modules would have been available beforehand. In terms of depth/pace, well perhaps you simply haven't gone to a university that is appropriate for your intelligence level. I'm not sure what you mean by getting an 'inferior' qualification, do you mean you're getting bad grades as a result of the above? if so, then i think you need to take responsibility for that yourself or do you mean your university won't be well regarded? as you could have found out information about the university before going there.

Unless there is something seriously different to advertised I doubt you have any sort of case with this. You simply don't like your course, a lot of students are in that position.
    Inferior in comparison to degrees obtained from other institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Do you think you should have applied for an MSc if you're finding this one too easy? Were you aware of the course content when you applied? Or are you saying the course is pitched at a level below what you would expect of an undergraduate degree?
    It is reminiscent of being back in school / college. It's at that level. The competency of graduates must be horrible.

I look at other CS courses for comparison and the technical depth is significantly better. The price tag is the same, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcxo)
    Inferior in comparison to degrees obtained from other institutions.
    in what way? do you just think you're not being taught as well as other students? because you don't know what's happening there, you could feel exactly the same, I doubt an employer is going to look at your CV and go 'a degree from XXX university, not hiring them' (and if they would then I question why you chose to go there given you were already in your field)

ReputationRep:
    So basically you find it easy? Solution: Ask for extra work, read every book on the reading list, do your own research, start submitting papers to be published, become head of your subject's academic society etc. There are plenty of high flyers who don't try to get 'compensation' because they find their course easy, they just get more involved in their course and academia in general and then they get top grades and do something more challenging like a related masters followed by a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    in what way? do you just think you're not being taught as well as other students? because you don't know what's happening there, you could feel exactly the same, I doubt an employer is going to look at your CV and go 'a degree from XXX university, not hiring them' (and if they would then I question why you chose to go there given you were already in your field)
    Because when I have evaluated the curriculum offered by other institutions, it is wildly different in terms of technical breadth.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mcxo)
    I believe so, yes.
    If it's accredited then it's regarded as good as any other CS degree. Employers don't much differentiate between unis.

If it's as easy as you think then you'll come away with a 1st.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcxo)
    Because when I have evaluated the curriculum offered by other institutions, it is wildly different in terms of technical breadth.
    Why didn't you do this before hand? Surely if you were investing such a large amount of money you would have looked at the course content for different institutions before choosing which one to study at.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by milliemogs)
    Why didn't you do this before hand? Surely if you were investing such a large amount of money you would have looked at the course content for different institutions before choosing which one to study at.
    As long as it's BCS accredited (which OP says he *thinks* it is (but if I was OP I'd want to be sure about that)) then it doesn't matter. It's as "proper" a CS degree as could be obtained anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I think ultimately you should stop messaging back and forth here and get sorting out your options. See if the course can be made better by telling your uni and tutors. Find out about a transfer. Create the depth and breadth you seek yourself. You know you aren't going to get compensation, so create another solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFBS)
    I think ultimately you should stop messaging back and forth here and get sorting out your options. See if the course can be made better by telling your uni and tutors. Find out about a transfer. Create the depth and breadth you seek yourself. You know you aren't going to get compensation, so create another solution.
    Yes, sensible advice. I'd reached that conclusion already, hence my lack of response.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    If you invest money in an expensive car and it's faulty or not up to the manufacturers specifications would you sit back and say "oh, that's just life" or would you enquire about compensation?
    Hon, I wouldn't even bother replying to ignorant people.

Only follow the best advice than applies to you.

I don't think you could get any compensation that involves money, but maybe get some leeway on marking, assignments, etc. if you are talking about the lack of teaching skills.

Your best best is to go to your education rep (union for academic experience/studies) and try to see if you have some sort of case.

ReputationRep:
    Has the course changed materially from how it as advertised in the prospectus/ Uni website? I.e. Have the university dropped the modules you were especially looking to study?
    If not, I can't see why you would think there would be compensation for your decision? There are many reasons why people chose one course or university over another, ultimately it is a free decision if and where you go and what you study.

With the limited information provided, you do give the impression of not being very engaged in the process of your education (I'm not suggesting you're not doing the work, or getting good grades, I mean student citizenship). While no one wants to be the student who thinks they know it all, if there were problems in a work situation you would have taken responsibility for addressing them straight away with your manager not wait two years for things to get better by themselves. Whilst you might feel unable to approach the module tutor or course leader for some reason, I would expect there are lots of other opportunities to provide feedback anonymously?

Do you have course reps? They should be asking for feedback to report/ discuss at staff-student meetings each semester? Have you asked the course reps to raise your and your friends' concerns?
    Are you asked by the University to complete student module feedback forms for each module and/or a university satisfaction survey (the National Student Survey is taken in the final year but some institutions have their own internal version for non-graduating years)?
    Do you have a pastoral tutor allocated and do you engage in pastoral tutorials to discuss your concerns with someone who is not involved in the delivery of the modules?

I don't know about IT courses, but I would think it unlikely you can transfer to another institution straight into 3rd year and, as you've not had the first two years' syllabus, that would put you at a distinct disadvantage. It would seem more likely you would have to transfer to second year (I.e. repeat a year). You may be able to transfer to third year on another courses in your own university if there are places available, but canyou be sure the grass is any greener?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ive read most of the thread and imo it doesnt look good towards getting some form of compensation.

Your gripe is that its not as complex or demanding as you had hoped for. You are disappointed.

Your first bet is have they broken the contract of what they promised? You do not say they have just its been a little underwhelming. That's straightforward contract and youd have to show that they specifically saud you will get A, but they failed to deliver A i.e they breached.

Your second aspect is that they failed to deliver you a good service. Payng attention to the earlier links on the competituib and markets authority, then they are under a duty to deliver services with reasonable skill and care S49 CRA 2015. From what you say there doesnt seem to be anything to say they arent delivering with reasonable skill and care. i.e the lecturers are turning up, they give lectures and what they teach is correct o comply with the standards of a degree. I note the criteria of it being accredited to the BCS.

As has been pointed out you are free to choose and you could have taken more care in deciding who to give your money to. With experience in the industry then you should have known what to look for and what quyestions to ask rather than falling for marketing and a sales pitch.

The weakness of your situation is that it took you rill nearly the end of the second year to decide you were unhappy, when in fact you should have been concerned in the first year and maybe the first few terms.

The other weakness is that you havent made your feelinsg known to the lecturers. I find both these last two points a bit mystifying and you havent done yourself any favours.

What can you do?

Transfer? If you can , but I doubt they will be willing to accpet you just for a year. worth looking at. You could ofc scrap the 2nd year and transfer elsewhere for 2 years, which should be enough to get you the acceditation of a degree from the other institution.

You must talk to your lecturers/ student reps and boice your concerns now. If other people think the same, then grup together with them. If there are 20+ of you unhappy then they would have to take notice and could make moderate alterations to course content.

You can also make a complaint about the quality of the course. If they do nothing as you feel they fall below standard then make a complaint to the oia, but I feel your complaint is its not as good as you expected rather than they are way out of line.

You talk about it being too easy, then its in your interests to get a first to prove that. No excuse. Lots of employers are only really bothered about class of degree although i accept youd have liked a better education.

I think Unis are very resistant and will fight tooth and nail about giving money back, so unless you cna show soemthing more substantive i'd say your chances were very slim. many of the people responding cnat see your point. Its a bit like buying a product using it for a number of years and only then decide you want your money back because it doesnt perform as well.

I dont believe course organisers like students to think thier course is rubbish, so make your complaint and work with the lecturers to see if they cna make moderations that will make it more interesting for you. perhaps they will let you do an additional research project?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.