Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply to university college Birmingham next year because I love one of the courses they have its perfect for me but was wondering what the student life is like in Birmingham? For example if there are affordable supermarkets, food places etc. or if it is expensive to live in??

Sent from my android x

ReputationRep:
    It's great in Birmingham. Big city, a lot of places to go to. #rep4rep

ReputationRep:
    Hey Meg

thats awesome, what course are you thinking of applying for? I am at this uni too and I love it! student life in Birmingham is amazing, its a vibrant place to be and has a great atmosphere. There are lots of supermarkets, one of my favourite places to shop is Aldi as its affordable for a students budget, but there is also Tesco and Morrisions in the city centre itself. We also have a big market right by the Bullring shopping centre, where you can get fresh fruit and vegetables and really low prices. If you get an NUS extra card or sign up to UNIdays when you become a student you'll be able to take advantage of all the discounts that are offered at lots of restaurants such as Ed's Easy Diner, Giraffe, Pizza Express and more. There's an ample of individual and unique restaurants around the city too and you can get an Independent Birmingham membership card to save a discount at these as well, which is really cool. Although I'm trying to budget myself as possible, I don't find it overly expensive, there are ways to budget and spend as little as possible but still have an amazing time and make the most of being a student in Birmingham.

Also there are lots of places where you can find part time work in Birmingham alongside studying, in fact UCB has its own careers service where they can help you find a job or temporary work and we have employers come into give presentations and interview students for roles in their companies.

I hope this has been useful for you. You can reply back to me if you need any other questions answering!

Debby

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Birmingham is a great city to live in as it is very vibrant and there is always something going on. If you are living in halls you will not have to pay out for transport as the university is in within walking distance- which helps save! In regards to food costs you just have to learn how to budget and make the most out of what you buy. There are plenty of stores within walking distance of the halls of residence. Also, there is a market in the city centre which sells fruit,veg, meat and fish etc. at fantastic prices- helping your money to go further!

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debbywanderlust)
    Hey Meg

thats awesome, what course are you thinking of applying for? I am at this uni too and I love it! student life in Birmingham is amazing, its a vibrant place to be and has a great atmosphere. There are lots of supermarkets, one of my favourite places to shop is Aldi as its affordable for a students budget, but there is also Tesco and Morrisions in the city centre itself. We also have a big market right by the Bullring shopping centre, where you can get fresh fruit and vegetables and really low prices. If you get an NUS extra card or sign up to UNIdays when you become a student you'll be able to take advantage of all the discounts that are offered at lots of restaurants such as Ed's Easy Diner, Giraffe, Pizza Express and more. There's an ample of individual and unique restaurants around the city too and you can get an Independent Birmingham membership card to save a discount at these as well, which is really cool. Although I'm trying to budget myself as possible, I don't find it overly expensive, there are ways to budget and spend as little as possible but still have an amazing time and make the most of being a student in Birmingham.

Also there are lots of places where you can find part time work in Birmingham alongside studying, in fact UCB has its own careers service where they can help you find a job or temporary work and we have employers come into give presentations and interview students for roles in their companies.

Debby
    Thank you so much for the reply it was really helpful and I'd definitely do my shopping at ALDI I've actually watched your campus tour videos before and really liked them because I've not seen any videos like that before so it helped me see what the campuses are like
    I'm thinking of studying events management, hospital or business

Sent from my android x

ReputationRep:
    I live in a pretty rough area in bham and its pretty damn good. I can't imagine the good areas in which the unis are located. Honestly bham is a damn good city and you will enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meg.t)
    Thank you so much for the reply it was really helpful and I'd definitely do my shopping at ALDI I've actually watched your campus tour videos before and really liked them because I've not seen any videos like that before so it helped me see what the campuses are like
    I'm thinking of studying events management, hospital or business

Sent from my android x

Not a problem thank you, I'm glad they helped you! That's great, all our courses at UCB are very hands on so you build up expereince as you progress through your modules. It might be worth taking a look at our upcoming open days over the next year so you can visit UCB and find out more about what each course offers, meet lecturers and students and have a tour of student accommodation. Our next one is in April but we have them every few months throughout the year as well.

http://www.ucb.ac.uk/our-courses/und...open-days.aspx

Let me know if you have any more questions - Debby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meg.t)
    I'm looking to apply to university college Birmingham next year because I love one of the courses they have its perfect for me but was wondering what the student life is like in Birmingham? For example if there are affordable supermarkets, food places etc. or if it is expensive to live in??

Sent from my android x
    What will you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alxmia)
    What will you study?
    Events management or hospitality with events management hopefully

Sent from my android x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meg.t)
    Events management or hospitality with events management hopefully

Sent from my android x
    Ill be studying hospitality with events this September! (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alxmia)
    Ill be studying hospitality with events this September! (:
    Good luck, you'll havve to let me know how everything goes

Sent from my Bush Spira D2 5.5" Smartphone using Tapatalk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.