Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my first year of btec level 3 IT, but i am struggling to get the work finished and submitted in time, mostly due to lack of interest and understanding. i am only interested in computer games development and this is what i want to do in uni, but i am wondering if i should drop out of this course and begin level 3 computer games development next year as it would be more of what i am into and interested in. therefore i should find it easier to get motivated to do the work. so basically what im asking is should i stick this course out for another year even tho i dont like it or should i spend another 2 years doing a course i enjoy? what does each course offer me when it comes going to uni/ getting a job, bearing in mind i want something to do with either developing games or software,thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Stick at it... I had to do my BTEC in IT. I now study ICT at uni.

Either stick at it.. Or asked to be moved onto the games design one. But let me tell you that even games design at University you will probably cover modules what you are studying now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by urbanlocations)
    Stick at it... I had to do my BTEC in IT. I now study ICT at uni.

Either stick at it.. Or asked to be moved onto the games design one. But let me tell you that even games design at University you will probably cover modules what you are studying now.
    i enjoy doing some of the modules such as game development, digital graphics, communication/employability, social media/business, but im struggling with the rest of the modules and im most likely going to fail first year if i dont pass them all. its things like networking, computer components, computer systems/info systems and spreadsheets which i just cant seem to get a grasp of. i dont want to get to the end of this course and only have the minimum marks such as passes and then not going to be able to get a place at uni. thats why im thinking of a changing course which means i would have a better chance of getting merits and distinctions, giving me more options when it comes to uni and starting a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wil98)
    i enjoy doing some of the modules such as game development, digital graphics, communication/employability, social media/business, but im struggling with the rest of the modules and im most likely going to fail first year if i dont pass them all. its things like networking, computer components, computer systems/info systems and spreadsheets which i just cant seem to get a grasp of. i dont want to get to the end of this course and only have the minimum marks such as passes and then not going to be able to get a place at uni. thats why im thinking of a changing course which means i would have a better chance of getting merits and distinctions, giving me more options when it comes to uni and starting a career.
    Do what you think is best for you!! I did networking and I hated every single second of it... But I just told myself 'Once this BTEC is over I can study what I want!!!' Just keep asking your teachers for help on the modules you struggle with.

Id either chance course ASAP or stick on your course and get you're head down!!
    I achieved D*D* on my networking BTEC... (Even though I don't have a clue how networks work...I just did the distinctions and acted like I knew what I was talking about!) Give many examples in your work too as this shows you know what you're talking about 'For example a small business would use a Local area network because.......' etc!

ReputationRep:
    I would stick with the IT BTEC as I know it can get you on to a Games Development course at uni

However the Games Development BTEC is simply just a pathway as part of the Creative Media range of BTECs, which is quite misleading as you will end up with a BTEC in Creatice Media as the qualification title (with pathway in Games Dev), a lot of unis will specify that their BTEC requirement is for the IT/Computing range of BTECs, not Creative Media

Stick with IT, only one more year and then nake sure you do research into Games Dev degrees and pick one you really like the look of

Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.