Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied to the University of Brighton and attended an interview on the 17th of February, I thought it went pretty good. On the 24th I attended another university interview and I saw a person from last week and he found he got rejected. Two days later so the 26th I got accepted by that other uni interview I went to. typically how long does the university of Brighton take to give an offer or rejection?

Also, do universities only give out a certain amount of offers depending on how many places they have? Or do they give it out more and then depending on grades and stuff.. see who gets in?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by undisputed_2013)
    I applied to the University of Brighton and attended an interview on the 17th of February, I thought it went pretty good. On the 24th I attended another university interview and I saw a person from last week and he found he got rejected. Two days later so the 26th I got accepted by that other uni interview I went to. typically how long does the university of Brighton take to give an offer or rejection?

Also, do universities only give out a certain amount of offers depending on how many places they have? Or do they give it out more and then depending on grades and stuff.. see who gets in?
    To your second paragraph, yes they give out many more offers than they have places because not everyone will Firm the offer, and not all that do will achieve the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So what's the score if I firm offer them and the amount of people that also firm them exceed the amount of people that they are taking? I'm just really confused.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So what's the score if I firm offer them and the amount of people that also firm them exceed the amount of people that they are taking? I'm just really confused.
    The uni expects that some of the Firmers won't make their offer.

It's a balancing act by the universities but they've been doing it for years so they know roughly what proportion will miss the offer each year. Overall the process seems to work ok...

All *you* need to worry about is meeting the firm offer. If you do, then you are in. No ifs no buts.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks bub I've got ya. I'm just going to try furthering my chance of getting into the university. How so, you ask? I shall exterminate the competition. SO that everyone given an offer will be deceased. In such a situation they will be forced to accept me or they'll have no students. I know I've written this all very icky (much like my gloves will be - I don't like my hands getting messy) but I hope you don't catch whiff of what I mean.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks bub I've got ya. I'm just going to try furthering my chance of getting into the university. How so, you ask? I shall exterminate the competition. SO that everyone given an offer will be deceased. In such a situation they will be forced to accept me or they'll have no students. I know I've written this all very icky (much like my gloves will be - I don't like my hands getting messy) but I hope you don't catch whiff of what I mean.
    They would cancel the course if there was only one (psychopathic) offer holder still standing...

ReputationRep:
    I have received conditional offes from Brighton and Coventry universities to study Film Production & Media. Does anyone have real advise on which one to choose?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.