The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year just to reapply to Oxford?

I applied for English this year at Oxford but got rejected. This was likely due to my lack of preparation; I hadn't fully read most of the books on my personal statement and didn't have any other books I could confidently talk about.

I would like to reapply for Classics at Oxford for the 2017/2018 cycle. I love Classics equally, if not slightly more than English, and I've raced through two books on the era in the past week alone as I find it so fascinating. Would it be worth taking a gap year purely to risk reapplying for Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Have you had your post-rejection feedback yet? What did it say? What's your grounding in classics, academically? And do you have any offers (for English or Classics) from any other unis? :smile:
Reply 3
You don't really have to take a gap year to reapply... Just reapply while you're in your first year at another uni. I personally have a friend at my uni who reapplied and got into Oxford (after getting rejected by Cambridge the first time). He'll be moving there after the summer.
Reply 4
Original post by BWV1007
You don't really have to take a gap year to reapply... Just reapply while you're in your first year at another uni. I personally have a friend at my uni who reapplied and got into Oxford (after getting rejected by Cambridge the first time). He'll be moving there after the summer.

This will cost the OP 9000 pounds extra though.

@OP. Personally, I think a gap year is a great opportunity to do something unique that you will never have the chance to do again later in life - travel the world, volunteer in Africa, etc. However, you should keep in mind that there is no guarantee that you will get into Oxford next year!
Original post by simbasdragon
I applied for English this year at Oxford but got rejected. This was likely due to my lack of preparation; I hadn't fully read most of the books on my personal statement and didn't have any other books I could confidently talk about.

I would like to reapply for Classics at Oxford for the 2017/2018 cycle. I love Classics equally, if not slightly more than English, and I've raced through two books on the era in the past week alone as I find it so fascinating. Would it be worth taking a gap year purely to risk reapplying for Oxford?

LOL Flashback
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have you had your post-rejection feedback yet? What did it say? What's your grounding in classics, academically? And do you have any offers (for English or Classics) from any other unis? :smile:

My feedback was very vague, it just implied that my passion didn't come across, which I entirely agree with.
I did Classical Civilsation at AS, and I'm predicted an A* now at A2. I have offers from 2 universities to do English, and an offer of ancient History from another.

I could firm the ancient history course (basically Classics), but part of me is saying that if I'm going to do Classics, I may as well try to do it at Oxford.

Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 7
Personally I wouldn't reapply instead you really really really want to go there. Although Oxford had that special name, the courses are very intense and you may not enjoy the tutorial systems there so maybe another uni is better for you to fit in. Also there is no gurantee youll get in next year!!!!!
WHere else did you get offers to ?
Original post by BWV1007

This could be a good option. I'd be worried about the reference though as surely your current university would not write one for you, never mind it being positive. Did your friend's university mind that they were applying elsewhere?
Original post by Chr0n
This will cost the OP 9000 pounds extra though.

@OP. Personally, I think a gap year is a great opportunity to do something unique that you will never have the chance to do again later in life - travel the world, volunteer in Africa, etc. However, you should keep in mind that there is no guarantee that you will get into Oxford next year!

The idea of travelling in my gap year does really appeal to me. I'd just be scared of feeling like I'd wasted a year if I don't get in to Oxford.
Reply 10
The idea of travelling in my gap year does really appeal to me. I'd just be scared of feeling like I'd wasted a year if I don't get in to Oxford.

That's the real and significant risk. Maybe go to your next choice uni and then aim for PG at Oxford.

Alternatively see if any of your English offering unis would transfer you to Classics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ninjass
Personally I wouldn't reapply instead you really really really want to go there. Although Oxford had that special name, the courses are very intense and you may not enjoy the tutorial systems there so maybe another uni is better for you to fit in. Also there is no gurantee youll get in next year!!!!!
WHere else did you get offers to ?

I've been to a few study days and so have had sample tutorials and loved the intensity of them, although having them every week may feel different.

I do really worry that I'll feel like I've wasted a year if I don't get an offer, which is a worry.
I've had offers for Birmingham and Nottingham for English, and Durham for ancient history.

I couldn't really see myself at Nottingham or Birmingham, but Durham I may like. :smile:
Original post by BWV1007

That's an interesting story, I didn't know Oxford accepted transfers. Is he transferring into year two or going back to year one?
@Thetankman you want to do that right ?
Original post by jneill
That's the real and significant risk. Maybe go to your next choice uni and then aim for PG at Oxford.

Alternatively see if any of your English offering unis would transfer you to Classics.

I could only afford to fund a postgrad if I went to the uni in my city, so I'd live at home and not have to pay for accomodation.

I could do that, it's just that the Universities I have offers for don't make me particularly excited, but maybe that's because I'm just comparing them all to Oxford.
This could be a good option. I'd be worried about the reference though as surely your current university would not write one for you, never mind it being positive. Did your friend's university mind that they were applying elsewhere?

I think his former school teacher wrote a new reference for him. Also, I don't think they care if people were reapplying. :tongue:
Original post by Des_Lumières
That's an interesting story, I didn't know Oxford accepted transfers. Is he transferring into year two or going back to year one?

He'll start year one again.
Reply 16
Original post by Des_Lumières

Oxford does accept transfers but only into year 1.
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/548/~/how-do-i-apply-if-i-am-already-studying-at-another-university%3F

Cambridge doesn't accept them at all (except in "exceptional" circumstances).

I dont think its aa good idea to reapply from another uni. Work hard and get the highest possible grade then reapply. Theres no gurantee youll get rejected. But make sure ur much more prepared this time. Im a semi successful bridge reapplicant. I also know someone who can give u a wonderful advice. @TheTechN1304
Reply 18
I could only afford to fund a postgrad if I went to the uni in my city, so I'd live at home and not have to pay for accomodation.

I could do that, it's just that the Universities I have offers for don't make me particularly excited, but maybe that's because I'm just comparing them all to Oxford.

You get the new PG loan, plus there's a reasonable chance to get a scholarship
http://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/funding.html
My feedback was very vague, it just implied that my passion didn't come across, which I entirely agree with.
I did Classical Civilsation at AS, and I'm predicted an A* now at A2. I have offers from 2 universities to do English, and an offer of ancient History from another.

I could firm the ancient history course (basically Classics), but part of me is saying that if I'm going to do Classics, I may as well try to do it at Oxford.

Thanks very much :smile:

I have a lot of sympathy for where you're coming from. I personally didn't even apply to Oxford even after going there on a summer school and really liking it - which I later regretted somewhat. All of this mainly because I had other plans to study outside the UK and also because my family where not very positive about the elitism or cost of it. I now plan to apply there for postgrad.

My advice to you would be to accept the Ancient History place. Whether or not to take gap year I think should depend on whether you want a break from your studies. If so defer it (but only once the've accepted you!) and go ahead an make plans for a gap year. Remember if you choose to go straight into Ancient Hist. there's always Oxford for postgrad. It's no big deal where you do your first degree really.

Quick Reply

Latest