Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I've applied to several US universities, some in Canada, and 2 in the UK as well. As we all know, the UK works by conditional offers which will grant me a spot in the month of August, after my A-Level results.

    I took Math, Physics, Chem, Accounts & Economics in AS Level and managed 5A's. I have 4A* predicted, after dropping Accounting. My UK university choices are Bristol and Imperial, with both offers A*AA(A* in Math). My predicted grades do show this as extremely achievable, but I feel you can never actually walk out of an exam entirely sure of that A*. There could be several reasons for not achieving an A* in Math, simply starting from having a bad day on the C3/C4 paper.

    I realise that if (for any reason) I do not achieve that A*, and have chosen one of these universities as my firm choice, I will not have a university to attend this year. I was wondering if there is a way to reserve a spot in the US/Canada universities that have an unconditional offer(pass grades minimum) until the reply for my A-Level results. Are you allowed to confirm somehow two universities up until August before you make your final decision? Can you back out of one in the month of August? If no, is there a way around this or would I just have to make a solid choice about my university before my A Level examinations?

    I know I can make the offer but the pressure of not attending university may affect the way I write my exams. It seems unethical as I'm taking someone else's spot as well(who could be on the waitlist), so what's the best thing to do? I want to attend university in the UK but still have the option of quality education elsewhere in the world if I don't match the offer. The preference for the university in the UK is also due to the fact that it is closer to the city my parents live in and travelling back-and-forth more than once a year to visit my family seems entirely possible, and affordable. I don't mind losing any deposits in the US/Canadian universities as long as I'm insured I have some place to attend this coming fall.

    Has anybody been in this situation? Any idea of how I can tackle this? I did email some of the universities as well and I'm still waiting for their reply (they can take quite some time) so I just thought of putting it out here in case anyone has already gone through this.

    Thank you in advance.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by mohitbatra)
    I've applied to several US universities, some in Canada, and 2 in the UK as well. As we all know, the UK works by conditional offers which will grant me a spot in the month of August, after my A-Level results.

    I took Math, Physics, Chem, Accounts & Economics in AS Level and managed 5A's. I have 4A* predicted, after dropping Accounting. My UK university choices are Bristol and Imperial, with both offers A*AA(A* in Math). My predicted grades do show this as extremely achievable, but I feel you can never actually walk out of an exam entirely sure of that A*. There could be several reasons for not achieving an A* in Math, simply starting from having a bad day on the C3/C4 paper.

    I realise that if (for any reason) I do not achieve that A*, and have chosen one of these universities as my firm choice, I will not have a university to attend this year. I was wondering if there is a way to reserve a spot in the US/Canada universities that have an unconditional offer(pass grades minimum) until the reply for my A-Level results. Are you allowed to confirm somehow two universities up until August before you make your final decision? Can you back out of one in the month of August? If no, is there a way around this or would I just have to make a solid choice about my university before my A Level examinations?

    I know I can make the offer but the pressure of not attending university may affect the way I write my exams. It seems unethical as I'm taking someone else's spot as well(who could be on the waitlist), so what's the best thing to do? I want to attend university in the UK but still have the option of quality education elsewhere in the world if I don't match the offer. The preference for the university in the UK is also due to the fact that it is closer to the city my parents live in and travelling back-and-forth more than once a year to visit my family seems entirely possible, and affordable. I don't mind losing any deposits in the US/Canadian universities as long as I'm insured I have some place to attend this coming fall.

    Has anybody been in this situation? Any idea of how I can tackle this? I did email some of the universities as well and I'm still waiting for their reply (they can take quite some time) so I just thought of putting it out here in case anyone has already gone through this.

    Thank you in advance.
    The limit on having only 1 firm choice applies only for courses that you apply to through UCAS. You can accept offers outside the UCAS system without anyone within UCAS having to know. Universities know that a proportion of students will change their mind and not show up - they build this into the number of places they make offers for so you aren't denying anyone a place.

    I imagine the only issue with swapping from as UK to a US/Canadian university late in the day will be arranging accommodation and/or visas in time for the start of term.
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Rosette

    Essay expert

    Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

    Study planner

    Create a study plan

    Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

    Study planner

    Resources by subject

    Everything from mind maps to class notes.

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student doing homework

    Study tips from A* students

    Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

    Study help links and info

    Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

    Sponsored content:

    HEAR

    HEAR

    Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.