Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do any of your friends have views which you hate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    One of my friends thinks that if she had a child who came out as gay and started a physical relationship then she would disown them and refuse to support them.

Her justification? She has full faith in her religion and that disowning them would make them realise their sin and make them come back so they can get to heaven.

Her views sicken me tbh. She blindly follows a religion and apparently that matters more than your own child's happiness.
    How strange, I know someone who has the same view as you. I thought she was a nice person initially but after that stuff spouted from her mouth...well, I have ignored her since then and made no effort to be friendly... Let me just say that she thinks that stoning gay people is the best way of 'dealing' with them. Absolutely sick...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    I used to bully this guy who was the epitome of a stereotypical gay (we didn't know for sure if he was but turns out he was) in high school. Him being so camp was literally the reason we bullied him. All the insults, throwing pencils at the back of head in classes... And when we had to be more subtle bits of rubber... Tripping him up... It sucked man and in hindsight I hate that that was me as I'm so not like that anymore.
    I think a lot of people were like that in high school. I never really picked on any one in particular, but I was such an ******* to everyone including my friends. I look back on myself and hate that that's what I used to be like. It's a reminder to never be that person again.

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    One of my friends thinks that if she had a child who came out as gay and started a physical relationship then she would disown them and refuse to support them.Her justification? She has full faith in her religion and that disowning them would make them realise their sin and make them come back so they can get to heaven.Her views sicken me tbh. She blindly follows a religion and apparently that matters more than your own child's happiness.
    Sounds like a gay kid would be better off without her in their life tbh

(Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    I actually don't have strong feelings about homosexuality one way or the other. Some people do and they have their reasons(Which I actually don't know, to be fair, but it can be anything from religion to 'I think it's icky!' and those are just as valid points in their minds).

Historically, there have been a lot of 'Gay cures' that have been argued and none have been proven to work to the pain of quite a lot of families. That suggests that homosexuality isn't really a choice in many people, buuuuut... In Universities across western societies, you can't throw a stick without hitting someone who claims to be bisexual. After university, a lot of these people settle down in to set patterns. This suggests that there is at least -some- choice for -some- people over who they chase.

What does all this mean? Ultimately, nothing. Who cares if somebody disagrees with you? That's always going to happen. If I were a Buddhist, I would have to assume that everybody who -isn't- a Buddhist disagrees with me that Buddha was right. If they -didn't- disagree with me, they'd be Buddhist.

That doesn't mean they hate me or are out to get me. It's okay to disagree with people - Healthy even, because without it we cease to grow as a society.

Don't let the current zeitgeist control you: There is a pressure to make people feel that anybody who disagrees with you hates you; It's unhealthy and certainly won't make you happy.

You deserve better than that.
    hey, sorry i forgot we don't get notifs on anon lol
    yeah that is true, i mean i have nothing against them, i just personally don't see anything wrong with it so i just wonder their reasons . Fair point, tbh i find heterosexual sex disgusting (not that that makes it wrong per se i just dont like it).
    yes that is true, i have a sibling at uni and it is overly PC apparently and i agree healthy discussion is important as ofc not one person is right all the time. I genuinly don't think that xD in fact, i find it quite interesting when people disagree with me (as long as they are respectful and all that) bc it helps you to develop ideas as you can see their viewpoint as well, hence why i wanted to have this discussion bc i wanted to see ur side, even though ik you say you have no strong feelings either way i have enjoyed this discussion it has been interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I think a lot of people were like that in high school. I never really picked on any one in particular, but I was such an ******* to everyone including my friends. I look back on myself and hate that that's what I used to be like. It's a reminder to never be that person again.

Sounds like a gay kid would be better off without her in their life tbh
    Considering that she was born in Amsterdam and has lived in the West all her life I thought she would have been a little more liberal. But I feel sorry for her future kids.

(Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    How strange, I know someone who has the same view as you. I thought she was a nice person initially but after that stuff spouted from her mouth...well, I have ignored her since then and made no effort to be friendly... Let me just say that she thinks that stoning gay people is the best way of 'dealing' with them. Absolutely sick...
    I just ignore her nowadays. And she has that view too!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.