Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I wanted to know from people with first hand experience what Geology at RHUL is like?

I got a very good impression from the applicant day but would like to get a bit more personal insight from others.

Pros / Cons.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Meegas,I studied Geology at Royal Holloway (Gradutaing 2015) so not that long ago.It was such a great course. I recently spoke to a few of my friends who are now studying elsewhere and they said that the level and quality of teaching where they are currently studying does not compare with RH.I remember visiting the college on a UCAS day there (i think they've changed them now), and everyone was so personable and it felt like there was a real sense of community.

Pros
    - Programme is really good giving you an all round knowledge of geology.
    - Great field trips and the cost were covered (you may need to check about this for you)
    - World leaders in research (I referenced my lecturers about 7 or 8 times covering a few different topics in my final year).
    - We had access to our building 24/7 so we could do our work and use the departmental computers out of office hours (although, i only needed to do this in third year).
    - SO much support. I remember going to my lecturers outside of office hours (even up to 11pm some nights).

Cons
    - I know some of the lecturers were approaching retiring age and did mention it briefly whilst I was there.
    - Being in Surrey meant we were quite far away from most geological sites of interest and a lot of 'geological' companies. This wasn't so bad in the end thought because this meant more (and longer) trips.

I struggle massively with the cons as I had a great time overall!One can never fully 'compare' because you can only study your undergraduate in one place.If you have any questions, just let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NIallM)
    Hi Meegas,I studied Geology at Royal Holloway (Gradutaing 2015) so not that long ago.It was such a great course. I recently spoke to a few of my friends who are now studying elsewhere and they said that the level and quality of teaching where they are currently studying does not compare with RH.I remember visiting the college on a UCAS day there (i think they've changed them now), and everyone was so personable and it felt like there was a real sense of community.

Pros
    - Programme is really good giving you an all round knowledge of geology.
    - Great field trips and the cost were covered (you may need to check about this for you)
    - World leaders in research (I referenced my lecturers about 7 or 8 times covering a few different topics in my final year).
    - We had access to our building 24/7 so we could do our work and use the departmental computers out of office hours (although, i only needed to do this in third year).
    - SO much support. I remember going to my lecturers outside of office hours (even up to 11pm some nights).

Cons
    - I know some of the lecturers were approaching retiring age and did mention it briefly whilst I was there.
    - Being in Surrey meant we were quite far away from most geological sites of interest and a lot of 'geological' companies. This wasn't so bad in the end thought because this meant more (and longer) trips.

I struggle massively with the cons as I had a great time overall!One can never fully 'compare' because you can only study your undergraduate in one place.If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks a lot for your reply, very informative. Glad I can speak to someone who actually did the degree at RH. I'm really struggling to make a choice between Southampton and RH now.

I missed the applicant days at Southampton and although I visited alone with a department tour I didn't really get a solid feel for it.

Visiting RH I gotta say I really liked it and I even made friends with one of the students I randomly spoke to on campus.

I've heard one opinion that the resources at the library aren't very good for research and essays which doesn't seem to make much sense considering the great positioning of the degree compared to other unis.

I've also heard a lot of people saying that the student union is rubbish when it comes to organizing events and nights out. Would you agree? I've read posts on this but would want to know what your opinion is.

RH is part of University of London. Southampton is in the Russel Group. I really don't know if I should take this into account making my choice as it seems really outweigh by many other factors.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.