Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm in my first year at uni doing sport coaching and I've told myself to try new things and go out of my comfort zone (in a sporting context). I'm struggling with this a bit though. I feel like I missed out on the character building, try new things stage because I was never involved in scouts/guides/cadets etc and now I'm 21 I finally feel ready to try new things and challenge myself but I'm too old for a lot of it.

I've always been quite shy and my parents were quite controlling about doing what they considered risky sports (like gymnastics/trampoline in PE) so I think I lack confidence in doing sports or outdoor things. Saying this I did Bronze & Silver DofE and started Gold but I dropped out of gold because I was by far the slowest and had no friends.

I'd love the chance to go back to being like 12 and do all the confidence building activities people usually do but I'm a bit past it and to be honest I'm kind of embarrassed that I have no faith in myself doing anything physical.

Any suggestions on how I can get past this? I'd still like to do my gold DofE but no idea where I could do it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheese0110)
    Hi

I'm in my first year at uni doing sport coaching and I've told myself to try new things and go out of my comfort zone (in a sporting context). I'm struggling with this a bit though. I feel like I missed out on the character building, try new things stage because I was never involved in scouts/guides/cadets etc and now I'm 21 I finally feel ready to try new things and challenge myself but I'm too old for a lot of it.
    You could be a cadet instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Work in retail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    You could be a cadet instructor.
    Yeah, I've thought about that I'm just worried it'd be weird to become an instructor without any experience myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buonaparte)
    Work in retail.
    I work in Sports Direct. It's quite depressing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, I feel for you. Working in retail is one thing but Sports Direct sounds terrible. I've made a point never to buy from them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buonaparte)
    Oh god, I feel for you. Working in retail is one thing but Sports Direct sounds terrible. I've made a point never to buy from them again.
    I like sports direct as a shop because they're so cheap but working there is not good

ReputationRep:
    be a scouts leader/volunteer. they have places for older people.
    google scouts and volunteer away

you haven't missed out because you can go back and do it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheese0110)
    Yeah, I've thought about that I'm just worried it'd be weird to become an instructor without any experience myself
    No previous experience is required or expected. Many instructors have no previous cadet or military experience.

ReputationRep:
    university is the perfect place to try out stuff you feel you've missed out on, there are societies for all sorts of things just throw yourself into it for a while

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.