Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 17 year old who was caught fare dodging a month ago by Northern Rail. I got on at a station in Bingley in West Yorkshire and got off in Skipton in North Yorkshire, and due to a change in county it is very expensive. The conductor was busy so when i got to skipton, i bought a ticket from Cononley, the cheapest station to skipton to get past the barrier. I was then asked to produce my white ticket they'd given everyone from Cononley and i said i didn't have one. So then he asked me where i was really from, then i said Steeton, the next station. They said that they did the same there. At that point i was honest and said Bingley.
    He asked me why i lied and i said i pay for the ticket myself and its so expensive (which it is but not a valid excuse i'm aware)
    He took all my details and said I will be billed, and maybe more. I received a letter today to my parents asking if i would like to give a reason, who are currently thinking of what to say.

What should i expect? I'm really worried and don't want to go to court. Will it go further than a fine? I don't want it to be too much either.
    Thank you anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owencooper)
    I'm a 17 year old who was caught fare dodging a month ago by Northern Rail. I got on at a station in Bingley in West Yorkshire and got off in Skipton in North Yorkshire, and due to a change in county it is very expensive. The conductor was busy so when i got to skipton, i bought a ticket from Cononley, the cheapest station to skipton to get past the barrier. I was then asked to produce my white ticket they'd given everyone from Cononley and i said i didn't have one. So then he asked me where i was really from, then i said Steeton, the next station. They said that they did the same there. At that point i was honest and said Bingley.
    He asked me why i lied and i said i pay for the ticket myself and its so expensive (which it is but not a valid excuse i'm aware)
    He took all my details and said I will be billed, and maybe more. I received a letter today to my parents asking if i would like to give a reason, who are currently thinking of what to say.

What should i expect? I'm really worried and don't want to go to court. Will it go further than a fine? I don't want it to be too much either.
    Thank you anyone.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...paying-a-fare/

ReputationRep:
    Such an idiot.

Based on that situation, they could easily prosecute you under fraud laws, since it's pretty obvious you intentionally sought to avoid paying.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...3/57/section/5

ReputationRep:
    i know.. I'm just very worried. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    i know.. I'm just very worried. Thank you.

Is there any mention of a penalty you can pay in the letter they sent you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    Nope not a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I had very little money at the time on my as had forgotten my tips from work and they were at home. I panicked and messed up so I'll have to see what happens

ReputationRep:
    It is very unlikely they will prosecute you for a first offence. It costs them time and money, so they normally only do it for repeat offenders. Just pay any fine and don't do it again.

ReputationRep:
    Nope not a thing.
    You've already put yourself in a difficult situation by lying.

You're going to have to apologise profusely and offer to pay the full return for your journey. Also explain (provided this is all true) that you didn't have the full money on you and had no other way of getting home. If they decide to press charges, write them a grovelling letter explaining how your are under 18, you've never done this before, how you're a student of good character and that this will severely damage your future career aspirations and emphasise that to press charges is not in the public interests. Then offer to pay their administrative costs if they drop the charges (~£100 maybe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    It is very unlikely they will prosecute you for a first offence. It costs them time and money, so they normally only do it for repeat offenders. Just pay any fine and don't do it again.
    They usually don't prosecute if they believe it was a genuine mistake, which is where it being your first offense supports that narrative.

ReputationRep:
    You already put yourself in a difficult situation by lying.

You're going to have to apologise profusely and offer to pay the full return for your journey. Also explain (provided this is all true) that you didn't have the full money on you and had no other way of getting home. If they decide to press charges, write them a grovelling letter explaining how your are under 18, you've never done this before, how you're a student of good character and that this will severely damage your future career aspirations and emphasise that to press charges is not in the public interests. Then offer to pay their administrative costs if they drop the charges (~£100 maybe)
    I know I know... Thank you so much for your help, I've already written a letter about it to send off.

ReputationRep:
    Such an idiot.

Based on that situation, they could easily prosecute you under fraud laws, since it's pretty obvious you intentionally sought to avoid paying.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...3/57/section/5

Be careful with your name-calling. It may not have been a 'stupid' thing, it may have been an 'oh-God-I'm-panicking-so-I'll-say-this' and then later became 'I've-dug-this-lie-in-too-far-what-do-i-do'

Slow down on your judgements.

ReputationRep:
    I know I know... Thank you so much for your help, I've already written a letter about it to send off.
    If you tell them how you've learned your lesson, how much revenue is lost yearly through fare evasion and how you now realise just how severely this negatively affects all rail users, some old fossil will probably feel he taught some young rascal a jolly good lesson.

It really isn't worth it though so don't do it again

ReputationRep:
    If you tell them how you've learned your lesson, how much revenue is lost yearly through fare evasion and how you now realise just how severely this negatively affects all rail users, some old fossil will probably feel he taught some young rascal a jolly good lesson.

It really isn't worth it though so don't do it again
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonnaBeMyYear)
    Be careful with your name-calling. It may not have been a 'stupid' thing, it may have been an 'oh-God-I'm-panicking-so-I'll-say-this' and then later became 'I've-dug-this-lie-in-too-far-what-do-i-do'

Slow down on your judgements.
    I agree that the system is rigged against the little guy, OP is a 17 year old child not a hardened criminal and it's obvious he just panicked, but how do you think the magistrate will see it?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much
    Good luck man.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  498.2 KBLetter from mother

ReputationRep:
    They will most likey not prosecute if your 17. It will most likey be a fine, but make sure your parents explain that it was the first time you've done that and that it was a mistake that you will not repeat. Tell your parents that what they write to them is not privellaged and can therefore be used in court, so just make sure its not an outright confession.

Like I said, I doubt that they will prosecute. If they do, then go to a solicitor. Ask them to write a letter to settle out of court. (They wil almost always settle if your that young and its the first tie). It may be a bit expensive, but it will be worth it.
    If they do prosecute you then it would not be fraud, but it will be under the bylaws, its not AS serious, but still gives you a criminal record if they go through with it, which can prvent you from becoming a lawyer, teacher, doctor etc.

They tend not to go after those under 18. I thin you'll be fine. Don't do it again, because they will definitley take you to court.

- A law student.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that the system is rigged against the little guy, OP is a 17 year old child not a hardened criminal and it's obvious he just panicked, but how do you think the magistrate will see it?
    I understand, and this is what makes me angry about the world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.