Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student account for international student Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been in the UK for bloody 2,5 years now. Studying at Edinburgh College on 2-year HND course and planning to do my 3rd and 4th year at Uni afterwards. Need some extra money to keep me going for a month before I get paid from my new job. I've been to few banks today and checked their websites and pretty much all student accounts that come with some overdraft require you to be either UK citizen or living here for at least 3 years, therefore telling me I'm not eligible for one because I'm half a year short. Does anyone know any bank that could open a student account with any overdraft for me despite these silly requirements that prevent me from opening one in most of them?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Which banks have you already tried?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Which banks have you already tried?
    My application at Santander has been declined. I've also asked staff at NatWest and Bank of Scotland and they told me straight away that I won't meet their eligibility criteria. I have an appointment at Halifax tomorrow, not much hope though but I've also applied for Co-op's student account online yesterday and got email from them this morning that my application has been accepted subject to some formalities and they will get back to me within next few days. Hope they will enable overdraft on my account because some banks told me I can have one with them but without the overdraft which is rather pointless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.