Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I ordered a DVD from America a week ago. The guy had good ratings (all positive, specifically stating fast shipping). Should I wait a few days or email him now and ask him how long the DVD will take to get here?

I say this because I was reading on ebay that some of them rip you off and if they don't reply to your emails, they're probably ripping you off. I sent him an email when I won it to ask if 8 pounds was okay and he said only dollars. I sent one back (stupidly) asking whether paypal exchanges currencies. Of course they do and I didn't get a reply. Fair enough. Then I sent him one to tell him I'd paid for the DVD (8.27 pounds altogether) which he didn't reply to.

So, am I just being paranoid or could I be getting ripped off? I think I should be more patient too, but I'm new to this ebay thing so I'd like to know what some more experienced ebayers think. Ta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Quixote)
    I ordered a DVD from America a week ago. The guy had good ratings (all positive, specifically stating fast shipping). Should I wait a few days or email him now and ask him how long the DVD will take to get here?

I say this because I was reading on ebay that some of them rip you off and if they don't reply to your emails, they're probably ripping you off. I sent him an email when I won it to ask if 8 pounds was okay and he said only dollars. I sent one back (stupidly) asking whether paypal exchanges currencies. Of course they do and I didn't get a reply. Fair enough. Then I sent him one to tell him I'd paid for the DVD (8.27 pounds altogether) which he didn't reply to.

So, am I just being paranoid or could I be getting ripped off? I think I should be more patient too, but I'm new to this ebay thing so I'd like to know what some more experienced ebayers think. Ta.
    have you paid him already? i would just wait a while, sometimes they take a while to reply. especially the time difference.

ReputationRep:
    Give it a couple more days then email. A week isnt that long for shipping from the US, I've waited 2 weeks before now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I payed him on 17th June and sent all the emails that day. He replied to the first but not the others. It also said on the ebay forum that they rip you off by not 'standing behind' the package (I didn't pay for insurance). How long do you think it would take to ship something from the USA to here?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I payed him on 17th June and sent all the emails that day. He replied to the first but not the others. It also said on the ebay forum that they rip you off by not 'standing behind' the package (I didn't pay for insurance). How long do you think it would take to ship something from the USA to here?
    well it could have been that hes recieved the money and sent the DVD so all your emails asking about Paypal is irrerlanvent. sometims it takes a while to send it depends on what service he uses. give him 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, it's just that it's a rare dvd and I'm wary of ordering things off the web. Thanks. I'll wait it out and it'll be a nice end of exams present for myself.

ReputationRep:
    You're not very patient! Global Priority takes between 7 days and 10 days and that's if the guy chose Global Priority.
    Is that seller, a big seller? They usually seem quite busy and don't bother confirming payment and dispatch.
    The stupid thing with ebay is that you can get refunded if you don't get the item but they charge a service fee of about 30$. So not really worth it when it's a DVD!
    Does the guy have a lot of neg feedback? If he doesn't, and he sells a lot, I'm sure neg feedback will bother him a lot so you can always warn him. But be more patient. I've sold a few rare DVDs to the US, but chose economy mail and it can take ages.

And don't forget about customs! If you're unlucky it could take a month, you never know.

ReputationRep:
    I would give it a few more days, a week maximum before contacting him again. How much positive feedback does he have? Things do usually take quite long to arrive from overseas.

ReputationRep:

I've bought DVD's on eBay before from American sellers, and its not unusual for them to take anything from a week up to 4 weeks. I wouldn't worry.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.