Turn on thread page Beta

My ex has just landed a job at the firm I work in and to make things even worse he is my manager! What the hell do I do? We were together for 4 years and he broke up with my out of the blue last November. I've had a rough few months getting over him and even now I still have bad days. I knew there was always a chance that he could be working for the same firm as we are both from a small town and there is only one firm of this type around for at least 30 miles, but the fact he's my manager is almost unbearable. He doesn't start until next month but he sent me a text today explaining that he's got the job and that he hopes there's no hard feelings and that he won't let our past get in the way of things (whatever that means). Honestly I feel like quitting right now but I've been working for this firm for two years now and I really enjoy my work and colleagues. I don't know what to do/if there is anything I can do but my life has just gone from bad to hell. HELP!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand... He texted you saying that he's got the job and that he hopes there are no hard feelings. He's being more mature in that he's moved on and what not and he doesn't want to let he personal side of things interfere with the work life. Sorry if it seems I'm talking a sid but, I'm not, I feel that you should stay at the firm and try to move on from it. Easier said than done and I'm sorry I don't know more about your situation.

ReputationRep:
    owch

ReputationRep:
    wow, that really sucks... I don't suppose there's any chance of moving to a different department? a lot of companies wouldn't want people with a romantic relationship working together anyway so they might agree to a transfer

if not, you're going to have to suck it up and just see how it goes, it might not be as bad as you think

ReputationRep:
    Like the poster above suggested - can you move to another department?

If not, I would be thinking about transferring to a new work place entirely because if you're not over him, and it sounds like you're not at all, this could really set you back and make you dread work every day. Start looking elsewhere for work and don't justify it to him if and when you leave to go elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.