The Student Room Group

My chances for IB

What are my chances for grabbing a front office internship in IB? I'm currently on a gap year, I will be going to university in September.

Grades: A*ABB
University: Edinburgh
Course: Electronics Engineering and Computer Science
Extracurriculars: Not many, only some programming. I'm gonna be learning a martial art soon. I'm gonna join the finance society when i start uni

What else should I do to boost my chances? I have a linkedin account but not many connections.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't say you have a great chance atm, there's nothing that makes you stand out from the rest. Id try pick up some better ECs, ones that involve leadership like captain of a sports team for example. Being part of the finance society wont help that much either, get as much experience in finance as you can and start networking early.
Original post by Daniel9998
I wouldn't say you have a great chance atm, there's nothing that makes you stand out from the rest. Id try pick up some better ECs, ones that involve leadership like captain of a sports team for example. Being part of the finance society wont help that much either, get as much experience in finance as you can and start networking early.

what other ECs are you planning to do?
Well atm I run quite a few clubs in my school and local libraries, I play piano and also teach it, I am captain of my local cricket club etc etc. There are so many things you could do.

I am also planning to start my own website in the summer and hopefully make some money out of it and I have contacts in JPMorgan and Credit Suisse so will probably arrange some work experience in the summer also.
Original post by Daniel9998
Well atm I run quite a few clubs in my school and local libraries, I play piano and also teach it, I am captain of my local cricket club etc etc. There are so many things you could do.

I am also planning to start my own website in the summer and hopefully make some money out of it and I have contacts in JPMorgan and Credit Suisse so will probably arrange some work experience in the summer also.

good luck man. i need to get off my backside and start doing things! are you in sixth form or university?
:smile: Id continue focusing on your programming, start a project like a website or something and see where that takes you.

Last year of sixth form
Fix that^

Also, apply to the insight day programmes this year: JPMorgan Schools Insight Day, Morgan Stanley Mixed Open Day, Credit Suisse A level insight day (when it opens), RBS Career Insight Programme (when it opens).

Keep up with financial news and start taking a bit more of an interest in finance by reading books etc.

A level grades are fine and course/uni is fine-ish but will be a bit more difficult as you aren't at a target.

You have 1 year to get some more juicy stuff on your CV at Edinburgh (4 year Scottish degrees, so you apply for SWs in your 2nd year) before applying for Spring Weeks - make the most of it.

Can't say anything else.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending