Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job prospects, activities for dependants and others / Edinburgh, Dundee, London Watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I recently joined this forum, so hi to you all

I'm an international student (from South America) and I intend to study in the UK starting Sept/Oct 2016 (MSc). So far, I have offers from UCL, the University of Edinburgh and the University of Dundee.

I'm in the process of exploring these three options and also doing the math to see if it would be feasible to attend even if I don't obtain a major scholarship. The plan would also incluide going with my girlfriend.

I would really appreciate your input on the following:

1) With the estimations I have done so far, the most convenient option (i.e. less debt) would be attending the University of Dundee. Here goes the question:

How likely is it obtain a typical student part-time job in Dundee compared to Edinburgh? What about when comparing Edinburgh to London?

My girlfriend intends to work part-time while we're there and study English, so this interests me quite a bit.

2) How wide do you perceive the gap between the University of Dundee and the University of Edinburgh in terms of actual education received/prestige/employer appeal in Social Sciences?

I'm aware of the rankings, but I'd appreciate more qualitative information you may share. As I mentioned, Dundee is the best option so far in terms of money, but if the gap is too wide I might consider going into a bit more debt (depressing, but oh well).

3) Thanks for your answers!

ReputationRep:
    Worth bearing in mind that you won't be able to bring your girlfriend into the UK as a partner, so she needs to get a visa on her own merits. She can't get a visa to cone to the UK to work part-time. If she wants to come on a study visa, she will need to be a full-time student.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your comment. By the time I apply, my girlfriend and I will be in a civil partnership (heterosexual; strange thing there is only same-sex civil partnership in the UK, but that's for another topic), so I will "request her" as a "dependant".

I understand that she will be able to work under that arrangement.

Thanks for your answers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rrafa)
    Thanks for your comment. By the time I apply, my girlfriend and I will be in a civil partnership (heterosexual; strange thing there is only same-sex civil partnership in the UK, but that's for another topic), so I will "request her" as a "dependant".

I understand that she will be able to work under that arrangement.

Thanks for your answers!
    We have civil marriages for straight couples (ie a wedding that's not conducted by the church, but a state registrar) but indeed no straight civil partnerships - they were brought in as a halfway house for gay couples, and ten years later they also got the option of marriage, but civil partnerships remain.

Anyway, I don't know Dundee or Edinburgh well enough to comment, but be aware that London is expensive, particularly in terms of housing - £1300 per month for a small one bed flat is at the low end of typical and any 'London allowance' will not be enough to cover the difference. However, there are decent numbers of jobs available if you have experience - it's relatively economically buoyant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.