Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

URGENT HELP: Nervous gagging (and coughing) at home and school Watch

I get this everyday, in the morning when I'm getting changed as well as at school. It's interrupting my revision for my summer exams, concentration in class and everyday life.

I'm really bothered by it. Anyone else experienced this and cured it?

ReputationRep:
    used to experience this everyday. I would always gag but never actually throw up, if that makes sense. You could make a visit to the doctors. (I did and all they tried to do was shove anti morning sickness meds down my throat)
    The reason you gag (I never experienced coughing but I'm guessing it's related) is because of anxiety, and more specifically your breathing technique. When anxious you over inhale oxygen and exhale much less than usual. why? It's all part of the fight or flight mechanism, this imbalance is why you may also feel lightheaded.
    so what you can do about it:
    - speak to your doctor about it
    - practice breathing techniques (helped me the most - square breathing, 7x7 technique etc)
    - natural remedies if you don't want to go down the meds route - bachs, st Johns wort etc, many argue that these are just placebo, but if they stop it happening it doesn't matter they won't harm you (always make sure that they are suitable for you first though)
    - cut down on consumption of dairy in the morning (helped me anyway)
    - analyse why you feel anxious, break it down into small steps and try to tackle each one
    - speak to someone, even your teachers. could qualify you for support services and extra time in exams etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.