The Student Room Group

Changing Course at Cambridge - before starting.

Hi everyone,

I am an international student, and I currently hold an offer from Trinity College, Cambridge to study Mathematics (beginning Fall 2016).

Recently, I have become fascinated in the world of Artificial Intelligence - mostly because of AlphaGo developed by Google Deepmind (I am a big player of Go), which started giving me doubts regarding my major choice. Having no previous experience in coding I did not apply for Cambridge for Computer Science, but now I am starting to have my regrets.

Please don't get me wrong. I absolutely love maths, do it frequently during my free time, my interview at Cambridge with a Field Medalist was by far the coolest experience of my life. However, as much as I love maths, I doubt that I will become a mathematician by profession (I wanted to work on mathematical modelling), while the computer science course seems to be something that can equip me for pretty much any mathy/sciency field in the future.

While I am not even sure if I want to make the switch yet, I wanted to know if it was even possible. So my question is: does anyone know if it is possible to switch from Mathematics course to Computer Science w/ Mathematics even before the year started? I believe that the requirements are quite similar, if not identical. Another choice I am considering is doing the first year of the mathematics course and switching afterwards to the Computer Science course. However, I have been told that switching majors at Cambridge may be quite tedious.

Thank you in advance! (I know that asking Cambridge directly is the easiest option, but I am scared that they will revoke the offer...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hiiamint
Hi everyone,

I am an international student, and I currently hold an offer from Trinity College, Cambridge to study Mathematics (beginning Fall 2016).

Recently, I have become fascinated in the world of Artificial Intelligence - mostly because of AlphaGo developed by Google Deepmind (I am a big player of Go), which started giving me doubts regarding my major choice. Having no previous experience in coding I did not apply for Cambridge for Computer Science, but now I am starting to have my regrets.

Please don't get me wrong. I absolutely love maths, do it frequently during my free time, my interview at Cambridge with a Field Medalist was by far the coolest experience of my life. However, as much as I love maths, I doubt that I will become a mathematician by profession (I wanted to work on mathematical modelling), while the computer science course seems to be something that can equip me for pretty much any mathy/sciency field in the future.

While I am not even sure if I want to make the switch yet, I wanted to know if it was even possible. So my question is: does anyone know if it is possible to switch from Mathematics course to Computer Science w/ Mathematics even before the year started? I believe that the requirements are quite similar, if not identical. Another choice I am considering is doing the first year of the mathematics course and switching afterwards to the Computer Science course. However, I have been told that switching majors at Cambridge may be quite tedious.

Thank you in advance! (I know that asking Cambridge directly is the easiest option, but I am scared that they will revoke the offer...)

I do know of people who have switched their course, however this was once they actually got to Cambridge as opposed to before
Reply 2
Original post by Slowbro93
I do know of people who have switched their course, however this was once they actually got to Cambridge as opposed to before

Was it also before they started the first year of their course?
Was it also before they started the first year of their course?

Of the people that I can actively remember, one of them was a yes. However, it's best to discuss this with your DoS when you start as they would be the best to know :smile:

In addition, another option that you could do is do maths for one year and do CompSci the other two. However, I suspect you don't want to look at that option just yet
There are some people who switch courses right at the start of the year. Best thing is to email the Trinity admissions tutor and raise your query with them - they'll tell you if it's possible or not/whether they would allow it and under which circumstances.
Firstly - are you sure? Remember there's no going back!
It's possible to change your course once you're in your Cambridge course if you talk with your director of studies. Someone on here switched from Architecture to English, which means that you could probably switch from Maths to CompSci as they are similiar subjects {they will do a mini interview you and such}. Try and tell them you want to swich courses earlier on, as they might make you come back the following year to start over again :smile:

{watch jake wright on youtube! he did daily vlogs as a cambridge compsci student}

Don't be scared of calling, they're not going to revoke your offer! If you want to talk to someone who's actually at Cambridge go on askacambridgestudent on tumblr, they will help you :smile:
You can always do maths with additional Computer Science Modules, or take Computer Science at Masters rather
Reply 7
Original post by ahsenrauf
You can always do maths with additional Computer Science Modules, or take Computer Science at Masters rather

Cambridge is not a modular course. Also, I (if my grades let me) would like to do the Part III at Cambridge at the subject of my choice, which might be more difficult I do math at undergrad.
Reply 8
Original post by Crammyandcrabby
Firstly - are you sure? Remember there's no going back!
It's possible to change your course once you're in your Cambridge course if you talk with your director of studies. Someone on here switched from Architecture to English, which means that you could probably switch from Maths to CompSci as they are similiar subjects {they will do a mini interview you and such}. Try and tell them you want to swich courses earlier on, as they might make you come back the following year to start over again :smile:

{watch jake wright on youtube! he did daily vlogs as a cambridge compsci student}

Don't be scared of calling, they're not going to revoke your offer! If you want to talk to someone who's actually at Cambridge go on askacambridgestudent on tumblr, they will help you :smile:

I am not sure, which is all the more scary. I definitely will have a lot more to think about it. Thank you for your advice on Jake Wright and Tumblr! Will definitely take a look.
Cambridge is not a modular course. Also, I (if my grades let me) would like to do the Part III at Cambridge at the subject of my choice, which might be more difficult I do math at undergrad.

Sorry. I thought that they might let you do Computer Science as an option because with their computer science course they allow you to do the first year as 50% Computer Science and 50% Maths. I think you should ask them if you really are interested or wait 3 years and do a PG in Computer Science as that doesn't require existing Computer Science based qualifications but rather Maths based ones
Hi everyone,

Definitely ask Cambridge (specifically Trinity), there's no way they will revoke your offer. I think there is a good chance they will let you change, and there's certainly no harm in trying.

Off topic, but do you play Go online? I started playing a few months ago and am a lowly 18k on online-go.com.
Reply 11
Original post by sweeneyrod
Definitely ask Cambridge (specifically Trinity), there's no way they will revoke your offer. I think there is a good chance they will let you change, and there's certainly no harm in trying.

Off topic, but do you play Go online? I started playing a few months ago and am a lowly 18k on online-go.com.

Thank you! I am still quite undecided, I'll ask if my mind is made up.

Also, I play Go on a Korean website called Cyberoro, and I recently reached 5th Dan :smile:.
Hi everyone,

Others have addressed your question about course switching, so may I just offer a different observation?

I read maths at Cambridge and then went on to do a PhD in mathematics. After my PhD I went straight into the computer industry and had a nearly twenty year career there before switching to what I do now. The message that I want oto get over to you is that doing mathematics at undergraduate level will not preclude you from doing something like artificial intelligence later on. Some would argue that the rigour of the mathematics course would actually prepare you better!
Reply 13
Original post by Gregorius
Others have addressed your question about course switching, so may I just offer a different observation?

I read maths at Cambridge and then went on to do a PhD in mathematics. After my PhD I went straight into the computer industry and had a nearly twenty year career there before switching to what I do now. The message that I want oto get over to you is that doing mathematics at undergraduate level will not preclude you from doing something like artificial intelligence later on. Some would argue that the rigour of the mathematics course would actually prepare you better!

Thank you for your advice. I have thought about your point, and it is making my decision more difficult than ever. Another thing about the CS course (even with Maths first year) is that it seems to lack the rigour is present in the Mathematics course. One thing about the math course is that coding/programming aspects, which I view as an absolutely necessary skill in the future, seems rather lacking (only the CATAM)

From what I have researched myself and seen on this post, it seems that switching from Mathematics to CS (w/Maths) seem to be not very difficult; the admissions criteria are close to identical. I intend to take a CS course over the summer, I think I will first see how much I enjoy CS before inquiring about a change. Thank you everyone for the great advice!
Reply 14
Did you see this: http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/09/google-deepmind-alphago-ai-go-champion/ @Hiiamint

Just thought you might find it interesting. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by gsckmom
Did you see this: http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/09/google-deepmind-alphago-ai-go-champion/ @Hiiamint

Yes I have seen it. I am personally in shock :O
Reply 16
Original post by gsckmom

Yes I have seen it. I am personally in shock :O

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2016/03/10/google-software-leaves-world-go-champion-grim-and-ashen-after-second-game/
2 in a row now. The human misses out on the chance to win a $1 million if loses one more...

No pressure...
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
http://www.siliconbeat.com/2016/03/10/google-software-leaves-world-go-champion-grim-and-ashen-after-second-game/
2 in a row now. The human misses out on the chance to win a $1 million if loses one more...

No pressure...

The player has played in numerous situations where he was 2 games down but came back in the end. The bigger problem is the way he lost g2. In G1 Sedol honestly did not play very well. In G2 however, he made no real mistakes, while Alphago did according to conventional wisdom, but he still lost, which is bound to be a shock
Reply 18
The player has played in numerous situations where he was 2 games down but came back in the end. The bigger problem is the way he lost g2. In G1 Sedol honestly did not play very well. In G2 however, he made no real mistakes, while Alphago did according to conventional wisdom, but he still lost, which is bound to be a shock

I hope he does - otherwise we are all doomed! :wink:
Reply 19

3-0 - DeepMind is the winner.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/12/alphago-beats-lee-sedol-in-third-consecutive-go-game

Interesting they are saying he's (only) the second best player in the world. So still (some) hope for humanity...
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending