Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I qualify as an independent student when applying for finance? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I'm 23, and this year I will start my first degree. I live with my parents, but I work full time and pay them rent. I'm not financially dependant on them. Will I be classed as an independent student? If so, how much can I expect to receive for my maintenance loan?
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    It isn't enough to say you're not dependent on your parents, you need to prove it. You need to show that you've supported yourself for three years prior to the start of your course. More information: http://standalone.org.uk/guides/stud...elf-supporting and http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m..._fs_1516_d.pdf

    If you are classed as an independent student, what you can get will depend on your income. If you earn under £25,000 then you can get £8,200, or £10,702 if you're living in London
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.