Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a first year Architecture student at LJMU and I've recently internally applied to change to Graphic Design and Illustration and been offered an unconditional place.

I don't particularly want to carry on with my current course and was wondering should I suspend my studies and what implications would that have? I'm living in halls so I kinda need my loan to pay for my accommodation.

Alternatively, what would happen if I just stopped attending my current course? Would there be any implications with doing that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattholt_)
    I'm currently a first year Architecture student at LJMU and I've recently internally applied to change to Graphic Design and Illustration and been offered an unconditional place.

I don't particularly want to carry on with my current course and was wondering should I suspend my studies and what implications would that have? I'm living in halls so I kinda need my loan to pay for my accommodation.

Alternatively, what would happen if I just stopped attending my current course? Would there be any implications with doing that?
    As you suspect, accommodation is a consideration. You would get no more Student Finance this academic year, but your Halls contract may tie you to paying for it until the end of your academic year. Check the small print in your contract. If you're no longer a student, you won't be permitted to continue living there anyway.

You may also have to repay ome of your Maintenance Loan/Grant immediately, in a lump sum, depending on when your installments are fue and when you leave.

Given how far through the academic year you are, you will already be charged the full year's tuition fee even if you leave now.

All in all, it might be financially better to hang in as long as possible. You probably need to check those aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    As you suspect, accommodation is a consideration. You would get no more Student Finance this academic year, but your Halls contract may tie you to paying for it until the end of your academic year. Check the small print in your contract. If you're no longer a student, you won't be permitted to continue living there anyway.

You may also have to repay ome of your Maintenance Loan/Grant immediately, in a lump sum, depending on when your installments are fue and when you leave.

Given how far through the academic year you are, you will already be charged the full year's tuition fee even if you leave now.

All in all, it might be financially better to hang in as long as possible. You probably need to check those aspects.
    Thank you for the reply, so would there be any issues if I just stayed on the course but didn't actually attend?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply, so would there be any issues if I just stayed on the course but didn't actually attend?
    It entirely depends how your uni choose to handle it. If they monitor lecture/seminar attendance, then you might be withdrawn from the course anyway. Similarly if you don't hand in coursework or turn up to exams.

If your course leader knows that you're leaving the course, is it something you'd feel comfortable asking their advice about? If not, then your Student Union should be able to find you someone who knows their way round the small print.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    It entirely depends how your uni choose to handle it. If they monitor lecture/seminar attendance, then you might be withdrawn from the course anyway. Similarly if you don't hand in coursework or turn up to exams.

If your course leader knows that you're leaving the course, is it something you'd feel comfortable asking their advice about? If not, then your Student Union should be able to find you someone who knows their way round the small print.
    You said about having to repay some of my maintenance loan/grant immediately in a lump sum, how can this be possible if I am relying on loans and grants to fund myself at university?

ReputationRep:
    You said about having to repay some of my maintenance loan/grant immediately in a lump sum, how can this be possible if I am relying on loans and grants to fund myself at university?
    Because you're only entitled to SF if you're a student. If you leave hefore the start of the next academic year, you stop being a student, so you have to immediately repay any SF you've been given, which was intended to support you after your leaving date.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.