The Student Room Group

Privatising the nhs? Pls don't skip🙈

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
i don't want a private system like america....i think health care should be free. i think thats what makes our country special.

As I've said above: this is a very dichotomised view. You can be for private involvement in healthcare without being like America. Plenty of European countries manage it and have comparable outcomes, so there's nothing special about the UK in that respect.

That's actually one of the main reasons that meaningful healthcare reform is almost impossible here -- this mentality that the NHS is the 'envy of the world.' It's not, unless you're missing the word 'third' before 'world' in that sentence.
People would die! Just look at America: it's an infernal market of 'healthcare' (" because of all the prescribing of big drugs that goes on) where uninsured people are left on the streets and thrown out of A&E services. We can't sink that low.
Original post by Fatima.R
It basically means giving some of the NHS sectors away to private funds and business. For example. If the care for elderly patients had gotten privatised then we may be required to pay for that service. Right now we get free healthcare for the NHS. Privatising a sector would mean that we would pay for some parts of our health care

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a non-sequitur in what you have written. Because something is provided by the private sector does not necessarily mean it is paid for by the user

Nursing home care for the elderly is virtually all provided by the private sector. The majority of those places are paid for by the NHS or local government.

Likewise GP services are provided almost entirely by private contractors but funded by the NHS.

On the other hand hospital car parks are usually provided by the public sector but parking is frequently not free.

If you move out of health care, ITV is provided by the private sector but you are not charged a subscription to watch Coronation Street.

London Underground is a public sector business but tube rides aren't free.
Reply 23
The issue with the nhs is how its run, not its concept. Funds arent spread out proportionally across the region, theyve sold off the small village hospitals, despite not realising they were for the over-flow and stopped the A&E crisis we have now. We need a decent businessman/woman to essentially review the structure, cut the the big cheese bosses that do f*ck all and have no influence over the way the nhs is run and we'll be fine.

If we ran the nhs, like Argos is run, it would be fine. Fast, efficient, good customer service and a reasonable business model.

The issue with privatisation is where does it stop? and do we really trust the govt with selling off something so valuable?

(yeah its a little broken and has issues, but all it needs is a little tlc! not privatisation)
Reply 24
Original post by donte
The issue with the nhs is how its run, not its concept. Funds arent spread out proportionally across the region, theyve sold off the small village hospitals, despite not realising they were for the over-flow and stopped the A&E crisis we have now. We need a decent businessman/woman to essentially review the structure, cut the the big cheese bosses that do f*ck all and have no influence over the way the nhs is run and we'll be fine.

If we ran the nhs, like Argos is run, it would be fine. Fast, efficient, good customer service and a reasonable business model.

The issue with privatisation is where does it stop? and do we really trust the govt with selling off something so valuable?

(yeah its a little broken and has issues, but all it needs is a little tlc! not privatisation)

I totally agree with your point. If the governament had spent less money bombing places like Syria and used that fund our own country then we would definitely be in a better position

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm led to believe the nhs like councils spend a decent amount of money on servicing their debt.

We surely could save cash/services in the nhs by transferring them to central government but I guess they do it so it looks better on the balance sheet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending