Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you answer " describe the relationship between ... " questions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I have just had a go at a describe the relationship between George and Lennie question, and I have no idea how to word it.

I have managed to write a single paragraph which states that the relationship between George and Lennie is like father-son, added a relevent quote, explained it and then linked it, however, now I am stuck as I do not know what else to do.

My teacher said that we should get 3 ideas down and then convert them into 3 paragraphs, but my problem is that I will end up going off topic and/or use the same or very similiar point, as my next idea is tthat Lennie has animal instincts which need to be controlled by George, but I do not exactly know what kind of point to use for this, as the closest one would be a father-son like relationship, and stating this again would not gain me any marks.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by LPLunaticFringe)
    Hello. I have just had a go at a describe the relationship between George and Lennie question, and I have no idea how to word it.

I have managed to write a single paragraph which states that the relationship between George and Lennie is like father-son, added a relevent quote, explained it and then linked it, however, now I am stuck as I do not know what else to do.

My teacher said that we should get 3 ideas down and then convert them into 3 paragraphs, but my problem is that I will end up going off topic and/or use the same or very similiar point, as my next idea is tthat Lennie has animal instincts which need to be controlled by George, but I do not exactly know what kind of point to use for this, as the closest one would be a father-son like relationship, and stating this again would not gain me any marks.
    You don't need to describe the relationship in terms of relating it to a specific type of relationship. You can talk about how the relationship revolves around George controlling and 'taming' Lennie's animal instincts as a perfectly fine separate point You could also try writing a point about their relationship as George being a realistic counter Lennie's dreamer qualities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    You don't need to describe the relationship in terms of relating it to a specific type of relationship. You can talk about how the relationship revolves around George controlling and 'taming' Lennie's animal instincts as a perfectly fine separate point You could also try writing a point about their relationship as George being a realistic counter Lennie's dreamer qualities
    So as an example point, what exactly would you state ?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    So as an example point, what exactly would you state ?
    I can't write the paragraph for you :nah: I'd pretty much write the point as you wrote it when you were explaining it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I can't write the paragraph for you :nah: I'd pretty much write the point as you wrote it when you were explaining it
    No, no I dont want the whole paragraph, what I mean is just the point, for example, my first point states :
    "Steinbeck presents the relationship between George and Lennie as father-son like "
    My problem is that I do not really want to repeat myself with the point, and also not go off topic with the question, so for instance, my second paragraph would be about Lennie having " animal instincts " and George needing to supply him with the " human instincts " , what kind of Point would I state in order to stay on the topic of relationships ? Or do I not need to?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    No, no I dont want the whole paragraph, what I mean is just the point, for example, my first point states :
    "Steinbeck presents the relationship between George and Lennie as father-son like "
    My problem is that I do not really want to repeat myself with the point, and also not go off topic with the question, so for instance, my second paragraph would be about Lennie having " animal instincts " and George needing to supply him with the " human instincts " , what kind of Point would I state in order to stay on the topic of relationships ? Or do I not need to?
    You don't need to explicitly state a 'point' in such a rigid way, as long as you get across your point in your paragraph

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.