Turn on thread page Beta

Do you believe in the 'one' watch

The one that's meant for you, the one that your going to spend the rest of your life with, the one that no one else can compare too etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The one that's meant for you, the one that your going to spend the rest of your life with, the one that no one else can compare too etc....
    A device that people use to justify an emotional whim.

Some wake up 20 years later and realise it was bullshhit, others carry it until death.

ReputationRep:
    The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    -Terminator (1984)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you meet The One or are destined to be with them but I do believe that some people are better suited for someone than others and these people will become The One but I don't buy into the destiny idea. I think you make them that one person for you, it doesn't just happen, sometimes it never will

(Original post by BarryBeTrippin)
    A device that people use to justify an emotional whim.

Some wake up 20 years later and realise it was bullshhit, others carry it until death.
    The thought actually just gave me shivers

ReputationRep:
    The thought actually just gave me shivers
    I would hope so. It deserves a prominent place in the hall of the 'Greatest Human Time-wasting Inventions'.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I'm a firm believer in soul mates or what you call 'the one'

(Original post by Treen98)
    I don't think you meet The One or are destined to be with them but I do believe that some people are better suited for someone than others and these people will become The One but I don't buy into the destiny idea. I think you make them that one person for you, it doesn't just happen, sometimes it never will
    That's a pretty good explanation, but just imagine I meet the wrong person and I make them the one for me, but then there's someone out there who's better suited to me and I'm never gonna meet them

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty good explanation, but just imagine I meet the wrong person and I make them the one for me, but then there's someone out there who's better suited to me and I'm never gonna meet them
    Yeah but tbh if they're not right then you'll struggle to idealise them that much more in order to over attach yourself? A bit of a crude explanation but I guess you've just got to go with your gut

(Original post by nightwing51214)
    Yep. I'm a firm believer in soul mates or what you call 'the one'
    Have you met them yet?

ReputationRep:
    No, clearly not, as your chance of locating him/her would be somewhat remote. I do believe in good and bad choices however.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely a believer in 'the one'. However, only fate can decide my destiny.

ReputationRep:
    Have you met them yet?
    I believe I have. I'm just waiting for the 'confirmation' (i.e. time) so to speak

ReputationRep:
    http://i.imgur.com/LwtElPZ.gif

ReputationRep:
    the matrix is real

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think so.

That's just the unavoidable consequence of living in a world that has more people in it than you'll ever have the time to meet.

I don't think your hypothetical scenario works with the 'wrong' person -- if you weren't compatible, then you'd struggle to form a long-term relationship with them, anyway. There's no point worrying about the possibility that there's somebody, somewhere with whom you're even more compatible than somebody you know now.

ReputationRep:
    Not one but perphaps some?

ReputationRep:
    No. But yes in terms of being able to find someone you want to be with and are content with.

ReputationRep:
    Believe in fate all you want, it was clearly my destiny to laugh at you while you fail relationship after relationship because you leave the moment things start.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.