The Student Room Group

The GCSE 2003 Thread

hey guys,

i knw there's another gcse thread but its sorta gone off topic.

so for those of us waiting for their results on the 21st - how do u think u've done? what subjects did u do?

and those of u tht did edexcel maths higher...wht did u think of it? i thought it wasnt too bad except for the end questions of the calc paper - my maths teacher sed tht the grade boundaries shud be lowered cos of the enw stats c/w and the hardness of the paper in comparison to last yr.

what about geography? anyoen do geog with ocr? was it just me or was there not enought time for tht first paper?

keep discussing and good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
'Am not too worried - should pass them - *says a prayer*.

The only worry i have is how well i have passed 'em - but only 1 and a half weeks to wait so should know soon. I want to know out of pure curiousity about how well i did - then i can sorta compare my feelings about the exam, to the results i recieved from them.
Reply 2
Unregistered

what about geography? anyoen do geog with ocr? was it just me or was there not enought time for tht first paper?

I did maths edexcel, it wasnt too bad, except for the last few questions on the calculater paper which were tricky.

AND yes i did do geography ocr higher as well, man i didnt have enough time on that to check over and just barely finished, my hand was shaking for some reason because i was rushing(never happened to me before), hope the examiner could read my handwriting in the last few questions lol. I got an A in coursework but thats only 25% though so dunno.
Reply 3
ƒlå®è®
I did maths edexcel, it wasnt too bad, except for the last few questions on the calculater paper which were tricky.

AND yes i did do geography ocr higher as well, man i didnt have enough time on that to check over and just barely finished, my hand was shaking for some reason because i was rushing(never happened to me before), hope the examiner could read my handwriting in the last few questions lol. I got an A in coursework but thats only 25% though so dunno.

I also did OCR Higher Geography, I totally agree that there wasnt enough time in that exam. Did anybody else do the OCR Geography Decision Making Exercise in January? I got an A* in that so Im kinda hoping that that exam saves me lol.
Reply 4
OCR A-Level/AS level Geography was just the same, actually had no time on to check my answers on any of the 5 papers, luckily im pretty fast so just finished them. i know quite a few people who missed the last question(s) on some papers worth 10 marks, and that paper was out of 70 ;/. Oh well....

I found i was totally shocked with my gcse geog result (OCR) again after i failed to answer one of the questions on the investigation paper due to time problems, somehow got an A*, so i wouldnt worry.
Unregistered
I also did OCR Higher Geography, I totally agree that there wasnt enough time in that exam. Did anybody else do the OCR Geography Decision Making Exercise in January? I got an A* in that so Im kinda hoping that that exam saves me lol.

Funny with the AQA Geography exam....everyone was finished at least 20 mins before the end....and it was really easy.

Sorry I couldn't help it....
Reply 6
ha glad to c iw asnt the only one short on time! i JUST finished it....but if i just had 10 more mins then tht'd be enough for checking etc.

i reckon since so many had timing problems the grade boundaries wud be lowered??
Reply 7
I think the ocr geography paper used to be 1 hour 45 mins in the past, but i am not too sure, why they would reduce the time limit.
Reply 8
About the grade boundaries, does anyone know what it was in the past?
Reply 9
wel they were about 76% for an A*, thts the only one i know, lol.

yeh it had been cut down from 2 HOURS!

but apparently they were supposed to cut the amount of data in the exam......which they didn't!

they wud hav definitely had to reduce grade boundaries if peple ran out of time.

but then again keep in mind this is the same board tht was at the centre of the a-level fiasco last year.

*sigh*

JK
ƒlå®è®
About the grade boundaries, does anyone know what it was in the past?

Im sure last year you needed about 83% for an A* in the final exam. For our mocks we used this paper and I got about 89% I got an A*. But dont hold me to it becuase November was a long time ago lol.
p.s I was the unregistered person before who also said about not having enough time in the OCR Geography exam.
Which paper did you find easier. I foudn the one with the case studies etc harder and thats the one i just barely finished. The problem solving paper, wasn't too bad however i also nearly ran out of time on that.
Reply 13
yeh the decision making paper was easier....finished in good time i think, tho it was harder than the specimen mock we had bn given to do for our mocks.

yeh first paper was long AND i had to make up some case studies!

JK
ƒlå®è®
Which paper did you find easier. I foudn the one with the case studies etc harder and thats the one i just barely finished. The problem solving paper, wasn't too bad however i also nearly ran out of time on that.

I didnt do a problem solving paper - I did an exam in January (DME), Case-studies exam in June and Field-work coursework.

Out of the 3 it was the case-studies exam which I only just finished. I had no time to re-read anything.
I knew I would run out of time for checking in that exam so I didnt even spend the suggested 15 minutes reading the paper at the start, more like 2 minutes basically picking my questions and yet I still ran out of time.

I really hope the boundaries are lowered because it seems many people had to rush towards the end.
How did you guys do in the coursework?
ƒlå®è®
How did you guys do in the coursework?

I did alright in the coursework (thank-god! Hopefully it will pull my marks up!) I got an A*. I usually prefer coursework to exams anyway. How about you?
Reply 17
i got 49/50 which is an A* i think
Unregistered
i got 49/50 which is an A* i think

Lol thats the exact same mark I got (I think)
I got 43/50 which wasnt too bad, hopefully just an A i think but dunno. From geography all i am looking for is an A or even a B, but dunno, since someone earlier said they missed a part of a question and still got A*, i might be lucky :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending