Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if there is anyone out there applying to universities for the post-compulsory/ lifelong learning PGCE but I just wanted to give some information on the Greenwich Interview. I felt completely lost before mine, as so little information was out there, so I hope that this may help someone.

On the day we arrived we had to go to the student centre in Southwood House. A group of us waited outside because the sign on the door said 'Closed'. We sort of grouped together for comfort, so other applicants were really friendly. Most people seemed nervous.

Eventually we worked out the place wasn't closed and went in. I was a bit annoyed because I think they thought we were late, but they shouldn't have neglected to turn the sign to open. There are two ladies who take your documents (please make sure to remember all you need, because they were not happy if you forgot them). The ladies seemed as though they could do with a few tips on how to effect friendly customer service.

We were then split into groups depending on Primary, Secondary and Lifelong Learning. The lady who took us over to Mansion house for the lifelong learning sector was really nice. She wasn't dressed really smartly (in fact, none of the staff were) it was the typical smart-casual of FE. It made me feel relaxed straight away.

There was a 20-30 minute presentation in a small room on the content of the course. There were some errors in the presentation which was a bit off-putting! After that, we were given the written tests which was quite hard. However, at the interview stage we were told we only needed 25/50 to pass. We were told to prepare a pre-task, but for some reason, at no point during the day were we asked to do this... which was nice in a way.

In the interview I was interviewed with another person who was applying to the same course as me. It was really bizarre to be honest, we walked out wondering what had just happened. It was not your typical interview, it was more a debate/discussion. Everything I said I felt was sort of picked apart, which contributed to my nerves but at the end we were told we both got through the interview and would be recommended for a place.

It was all quite casual, not quite what I expected. I was offered a place less than a week later. Hope this helps anyone out there going for the same thing. I have UCL/IOE interview coming up and I expect it to be much more professional and much harder, but I'll post on that one when it's done.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that you're interviewing them too

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Is there any other information which you can give such as what was the literacy task and what questions did they ask.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akemikat)
    I don't know if there is anyone out there applying to universities for the post-compulsory/ lifelong learning PGCE but I just wanted to give some information on the Greenwich Interview. I felt completely lost before mine, as so little information was out there, so I hope that this may help someone.

On the day we arrived we had to go to the student centre in Southwood House. A group of us waited outside because the sign on the door said 'Closed'. We sort of grouped together for comfort, so other applicants were really friendly. Most people seemed nervous.

Eventually we worked out the place wasn't closed and went in. I was a bit annoyed because I think they thought we were late, but they shouldn't have neglected to turn the sign to open. There are two ladies who take your documents (please make sure to remember all you need, because they were not happy if you forgot them). The ladies seemed as though they could do with a few tips on how to effect friendly customer service.

We were then split into groups depending on Primary, Secondary and Lifelong Learning. The lady who took us over to Mansion house for the lifelong learning sector was really nice. She wasn't dressed really smartly (in fact, none of the staff were) it was the typical smart-casual of FE. It made me feel relaxed straight away.

There was a 20-30 minute presentation in a small room on the content of the course. There were some errors in the presentation which was a bit off-putting! After that, we were given the written tests which was quite hard. However, at the interview stage we were told we only needed 25/50 to pass. We were told to prepare a pre-task, but for some reason, at no point during the day were we asked to do this... which was nice in a way.

In the interview I was interviewed with another person who was applying to the same course as me. It was really bizarre to be honest, we walked out wondering what had just happened. It was not your typical interview, it was more a debate/discussion. Everything I said I felt was sort of picked apart, which contributed to my nerves but at the end we were told we both got through the interview and would be recommended for a place.

It was all quite casual, not quite what I expected. I was offered a place less than a week later. Hope this helps anyone out there going for the same thing. I have UCL/IOE interview coming up and I expect it to be much more professional and much harder, but I'll post on that one when it's done.
    Please do not take the PGCE Post compulsory. I did a PGCE post compulsory at Brighton uni in 2013. I was told that this would qualify me as QTLS. I then worked as a lecturer in a voluntary capacity the year I undertook and passed the PGCE to gather evidence of practice. I was then employed by the college in the following year and given a Teacher Reference Number so I assumed I was qualified. After a two year break for personal reasons I have registered with teaching agencies and since discovered that I am in fact NOT QUALIFIED AS A TEACHER IN ANY CAPACITY. I could have worked in FE without the PGCE and am not a qualified teacher for 14 and above as the university told me I would be. Only if a school hires me as unqualified and agrees to pay for a 4week course with Society for Education and Training can i get qualified...never going to happen so wasted a year and £9000. Do not do this course it is a rip off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fanny1975)
    Please do not take the PGCE Post compulsory. I did a PGCE post compulsory at Brighton uni in 2013. I was told that this would qualify me as QTLS. I then worked as a lecturer in a voluntary capacity the year I undertook and passed the PGCE to gather evidence of practice. I was then employed by the college in the following year and given a Teacher Reference Number so I assumed I was qualified. After a two year break for personal reasons I have registered with teaching agencies and since discovered that I am in fact NOT QUALIFIED AS A TEACHER IN ANY CAPACITY. I could have worked in FE without the PGCE and am not a qualified teacher for 14 and above as the university told me I would be. Only if a school hires me as unqualified and agrees to pay for a 4week course with Society for Education and Training can i get qualified...never going to happen so wasted a year and £9000. Do not do this course it is a rip off
    Please could you stop telling people not to do this qualification? This is the second ono of these posts I've seen from you.

The course is not a rip off if you understand it properly. I'm fully aware that I will be doing a 1-year, full-time PGCE and then will have to undertake a year of voluntary or cheaply paid teaching in order to build up a portfolio to submit to get QTLS.

I don't think it's right to tell people not to do something just because of your own bad experience with not understanding how it works fully. I'm sorry if you were mislead, but that it was wrong for you, is not a reason to try to put others off.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I hope all is well

Did you manage to go to your PGCE interview at UCL??

How did you find it and is there any info you can provide?

Thanks
    Gaddafi

ReputationRep:
    HI

I have an interview for PGCE post-compulsory at UCL

Can anyone advice on how it went.. What to expect in the lit test

It would be greatly appreciated

Candy

I think the key phrase in this reply is "I Assumed". I appreciate you have had a bad experience and feel let down, and it is important to raise the issue that workign in some roles will not go towards qualified teacher status, however, telling people not to do a course based on it is going a bit far.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.