Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you feel worse off than your parents? Watch

There are many facts and figures that demonstrate that our generation (generation Y) is substantially worse off than previous generations, by many indicators (disposable income, ability to get on the housing ladder, economic security, etc.)

Does this surprise you, do you feel this affects you, and do you think it matters?

Do you think we feel too entitled?

Linked thread (contains figures etc.): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3936941

Edit: Also, do you think your children (should you choose to have some) will be bette roff than you?

If I post cute puppy pictures will I get more interest in this topic?

You'll get the other half of the picture if there is a healthy discussion in 10 minutes...

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

My parents have a house.

I'll probably be renting for the rest of my life.

I might be able to afford a house of some kind if I get some inheritance.

I just hope their money won't be swallowed up in care home fees when they get old - leaving me with nothing at all

ReputationRep:
    Of course. They had it so easy compared to this generation. We are screwed

My parents had an abundance of good jobs to walk into.. Extremely cheap housing (Even relative and adjusted for inflation)

(Original post by CreamyChocolate)
    Yep.

My parents have a house.

I'll probably be renting for the rest of my life.

I might be able to afford a house of some kind if I get some inheritance.

I just hope their money won't be swallowed up in care home fees when they get old - leaving me with nothing at all
    Who do you think is at fault for this?

Not at all.

I think I've been given opportunities that my parents could barely dream of.

That's mostly down to cultural factors though.

I do think that I'm more likely to get on the housing ladder and be more financially secure as a result

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. My Dad had it so much worse than I have. Racism was more of an issue back then and it's horrid hearing the stories he told/tells me. Also, he had a strict upbringing too.

I had a strict upbringing to an extent, but I have had more freedom and more opportunities.

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    Not at all.

I think I've been given opportunities that my parents could barely dream of.

That's mostly down to cultural factors though.

I do think that I'm more likely to get on the housing ladder and be more financially secure as a result
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    Not at all. My Dad had it so much worse than I have. Racism was more of an issue back then and it's horrid hearing the stories he told/tells me. Also, he had a strict upbringing too.

I had a strict upbringing to an extent, but I have had more freedom and more opportunities.
    Fair enough.

Do you think your kids will be better off than you?

Lol we're essentially the same

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Fair enough.

Lol nah

I think I'm going to be excessively lenient with my kids (because of my own strict upbringing) and as a result, they're going to be a bit, well, off the rails.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

Yes because hopefully I will be able to provide them with the necessities and care they need.

Lol nah

I think I'm going to be excessively lenient with my kids (because of my own strict upbringing) and as a result, they're going to be a bit, well, off the rails.
    There's a difference between being lenient, and spoiling them

I think a wise parent will be able to make good kids by applying a minimum of pressure in certain areas

Yes because hopefully I will be able to provide them with the necessities and care they need.
    So your children may need your help in order to have a better life than you?

ReputationRep:

I think a wise parent will be able to make good kids by applying a minimum of pressure in certain areas

So your children may need your help in order to have a better life than you?
    I mean I've gone through racism and bullying from a young age, but I don't want my kids to go through it. As society hopefully becomes more accepting, they may not have to go through what I have gone through/am going through.

Didn't say I was gonna spoil them

Being excessively lenient can lead to them doing all sorts, like I've seen with many of people my age

Eh, maybe I shouldn't be a parent then. Hopefully my partner will have some idea of control and discipline over the kids

ReputationRep:
    No, my partner & I earn considerably more than my parents did at the same age.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you think is at fault for this?
    Not me at least.

It's the rising house prices, which I can't control.

It's the fault of the economy - maybe the Bank of England.

I don't really know whose fault it is, just not mine.

ReputationRep:
    My mum got dealt a really *****y hand in life, so I've pretty much already got it better than her.

But in terms of a generational issue and the cost of living now as compared to the past the soaring of housing prices, graduate saturation ect. Yeah...they had it better in quite a few ways. But we also have it better in some respects. I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

Didn't say I was gonna spoil them

Being excessively lenient can lead to them doing all sorts, like I've seen with many of people my age

Eh, maybe I shouldn't be a parent then. Hopefully my partner will have some idea of control and discipline over the kids
    I didn't mean to imply that!

I'm sure being a good parent is something that can be learnt over time

Most people I know (inc. me) have very lenient families. They're all doing okay. :shrug: Though they are all quite middle class, tbh

(Original post by Reue)
    No, my partner & I earn considerably more than my parents did at the same age.
    But the money doesn't go as far - at least, not towards essentials such as housing, food, education,...

How about your children? Will they earn more than you, in real terms?

ReputationRep:
    But the money doesn't go as far - at least, not towards essentials such as housing, food, education,...
    We have a far higher disposable income despite the inflation.

How about your children? Will they earn more than you, in real terms?
    I've no idea, I don't have children and so couldn't possibly predict their future occupations/incomes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.