The Student Room Group

Online A-Levels vs Classroom vs Self Teaching for University?

I am interested in taking 3 a-levels, geography, environmental studies and either history/english/rs and I am interested in taking a geography degree at university. I have a Extended Diploma in Animal Management at D* Level --- but I contacted the uni's and they preferred 3 a-levels.
I already have been to university but left on account of disliking the job so much (we had work placement); however I enjoy the academic side.
Therefore I wanted to take 3 a-levels in one year (definitely one year) so I have some questions:

- Do you think that online a-levels, classroom learning or self teaching is best? (I've heard horror stories from online a-levels and I can't find places near me that offer one year a-levels + I have a tightish budget unfortunately)
- Has anyone ever taught themselves a-levels? Especially the a-levels I've mentioned? How did you find it?
- If you took online a-levels/self teaching did you have to book an exam hall?
- If I was to take online a-levels what are the best sites? I always see mixed reviews on UK Open College/Oxford Online College so I just wanted to see where people recommended.
- Also has anyone taken an access to higher education course in geography? And did you have any trouble getting into university.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Original post by J3zz
I am interested in taking 3 a-levels, geography, environmental studies and either history/english/rs and I am interested in taking a geography degree at university. I have a Extended Diploma in Animal Management at D* Level --- but I contacted the uni's and they preferred 3 a-levels.
I already have been to university but left on account of disliking the job so much (we had work placement); however I enjoy the academic side.
Therefore I wanted to take 3 a-levels in one year (definitely one year) so I have some questions:

- Do you think that online a-levels, classroom learning or self teaching is best? (I've heard horror stories from online a-levels and I can't find places near me that offer one year a-levels + I have a tightish budget unfortunately)
- Has anyone ever taught themselves a-levels? Especially the a-levels I've mentioned? How did you find it?
- If you took online a-levels/self teaching did you have to book an exam hall?
- If I was to take online a-levels what are the best sites? I always see mixed reviews on UK Open College/Oxford Online College so I just wanted to see where people recommended.
- Also has anyone taken an access to higher education course in geography? And did you have any trouble getting into university.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Doing three A levels in a year is a bad idea, it will be too difficult. I think you should do an Access to HE course, pretty much every university accepts them as an alternative to A levels and they only take one year to complete. You're unlikely to find a specific geography course, but a science or social science course should be fine. Look here to find local Access courses: https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/Search.aspx There are other Access students in the Mature Students forum.

If you do decide to do A Levels, I wouldn't waste money paying an online provider if I were you. It would be much cheaper to buy the relevant textbooks and teach yourself. You need to arrange an exam centre yourself whether you use an online provider or not, contact your local schools and ask them if they accept external candidates for A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Doing three A levels in a year is a bad idea, it will be too difficult. I think you should do an Access to HE course, pretty much every university accepts them as an alternative to A levels and they only take one year to complete. You're unlikely to find a specific geography course, but a science or social science course should be fine. Look here to find local Access courses: https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/Search.aspx There are other Access students in the Mature Students forum.

If you do decide to do A Levels, I wouldn't waste money paying an online provider if I were you. It would be much cheaper to buy the relevant textbooks and teach yourself. You need to arrange an exam centre yourself whether you use an online provider or not, contact your local schools and ask them if they accept external candidates for A levels.

Thank you for all your help :smile:!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending