Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really looking to take Economics at uni but my A-Levels are Maths, History, Chemistry and physics AS. I am looking at these unis:
    - LSE (Economics and History)
    - Manchester (Economics)
    - Southampton (Economics)
    - Exeter (Economics)
    - Sheffield (Economics)
    - Kent (Economics)

They are all AAB, except for Kent which is BBB, and I really think I can achieve this. I am also doing an EPQ in something to do with economics and reading around the subject. Do you think I will have a chance and not be at disadvantage. Should I take AS economics next year?

ReputationRep:
    Maths is by far the most important A Level you can take for an Economics degree, so you already have that covered. However, a high proportion of students who study Economics (but not all) at university will have already completed an A Level in the subject - even though it is not strictly required. My thinking would be that a university may question whether a student who hasn't studied economics at A Level is genuinely interested in the subject or not. Therefore, I would advise to definitely do at least an AS or a relevant EPQ - otherwise explaining your choice of subject may be difficult in your personal statement. I think if you can bring a solid AS Economics grade prediction and an interesting Economics EPQ title to the table, you won't be at a disadvantage at all. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)
    Maths is by far the most important A Level you can take for an Economics degree, so you already have that covered. However, a high proportion of students who study Economics (but not all) at university will have already completed an A Level in the subject - even though it is not strictly required. My thinking would be that a university may question whether a student who hasn't studied economics at A Level is genuinely interested in the subject or not. Therefore, I would advise to definitely do at least an AS or a relevant EPQ - otherwise explaining your choice of subject may be difficult in your personal statement. I think if you can bring a solid AS Economics grade prediction and an interesting Economics EPQ title to the table, you won't be at a disadvantage at all. Good luck!
    Thanks for your answer, I think I will say I am interested based of my History lessons tbh. I really enjoyed the economic history of Nazi Germany and think it really sparked my interest in economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clement345)
    I am really looking to take Economics at uni but my A-Levels are Maths, History, Chemistry and physics AS. I am looking at these unis:
    - LSE (Economics and History)
    - Manchester (Economics)
    - Southampton (Economics)
    - Exeter (Economics)
    - Sheffield (Economics)
    - Kent (Economics)

They are all AAB, except for Kent which is BBB, and I really think I can achieve this. I am also doing an EPQ in something to do with economics and reading around the subject. Do you think I will have a chance and not be at disadvantage. Should I take AS economics next year?
    I was thinking about whether economics is needed, and i read somewhere that 90% of ppl who go top unis have economics. So yeah, i think to have a competitive application, Economics is needed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I'd say contact the universities and ask them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.