Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I recently had my sixth form parents evening and was encouraged to continue doing Spanish into A Level next year, rather than dropping it at the end of Year 12. This means I would finish sixth form with 4 complete A Levels. I'm really passionate about languages, especially Spanish, and since I am hoping to study Medicine at university I really want to get the best possible grades.

I was wondering how I can get an A* in Spanish at the end of year 13. I am doing my AS this year, targeted an A and all of my mock exams have been really pleasing, getting 95/100% in some. I got my GCSE in year 9 with an A* after taking part in the CLIL programme so I have fairly good grounding in Spanish and it is by far one of my most enjoyable subjects.

Obviously it's extremely difficult to get an A* in any A Level. I'm merely wondering how the grade boundaries work. Does the AS count towards the final grade and if so, by what percentage? I am studying on the Edexcel Spec. Also does anyone have any advice/tips for the A Level? I'm so excited and happy that I'm allowed to continue next year! My speaking exam is in SIX WEEKS! Ah I'm getting nervous, time is flying so fast

Thank you in advance! Good luck to everyone in the upcoming exams!

ReputationRep:
    The AS is worth 50% of the overall A level, it's equally weighted with the A2! I would say there isn't a massive difference in A2- it's just really important you commit to learning and memorising the vocab as you go along and have a seriously strong knowledge of grammar and all your complex tenses Doing cultural topics at A2 such as books and films is so enjoyable as well! personally I'm loving year 13 Spanish more than year 12!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm also doing edexcel AS spanish, it's so rare to find someone doing the same spec!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bother anyone, but I've got a really important question for my spanish speaking as i have it tomorrow. Can you highlight words in the 30 words sheet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor27)
    The AS is worth 50% of the overall A level, it's equally weighted with the A2! I would say there isn't a massive difference in A2- it's just really important you commit to learning and memorising the vocab as you go along and have a seriously strong knowledge of grammar and all your complex tenses Doing cultural topics at A2 such as books and films is so enjoyable as well! personally I'm loving year 13 Spanish more than year 12!
    So say I get around 90% in my AS this year, and 90% next year would this allow me to get an A*? Of course this is wishful thinking haha, it would be a miracle to get an A*! Just curious

Ahhh thank you so much for your reply! I'm so glad I'm allowed to continue for A2 next year. The literature aspect seems so interesting; apparently we have to study a Spanish book and analyse the language and context etc? That would be amazing! And I love Spanish films - for some reason I always find the storylines to be very eccentric. It's so funny

Good luck for the rest of year 13!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoafanuk)
    Hi!

I'm also doing edexcel AS spanish, it's so rare to find someone doing the same spec!
    I agree! For some reason I find that most people study WJEC or AQA... How are you finding the course so far? What are your thoughts on the written essay? In other exam boards the exams offer a choice of essays so you can choose which you prefer to write, whereas in Edexcel you have to do the specific essay they give you in the exam! I find it very nervewracking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noorgal)
    Sorry to bother anyone, but I've got a really important question for my spanish speaking as i have it tomorrow. Can you highlight words in the 30 words sheet?
    If this is for GCSE, I think you can underline words as long as it's not code or highlighting the consecutive words of a specific sentence. However I'm not too sure - don't take my word for it! You should ask your teacher just to be sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etudixnt)
    I agree! For some reason I find that most people study WJEC or AQA... How are you finding the course so far? What are your thoughts on the written essay? In other exam boards the exams offer a choice of essays so you can choose which you prefer to write, whereas in Edexcel you have to do the specific essay they give you in the exam! I find it very nervewracking
    The course is okay, I guess. I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought it would to be honest! I also do edexcel AS french and it's much more enjoyable, in my opinion.

As for the written essay it follows the same structure as edexcel IGCSE spanish so i'm relatively used to the structure but I'm still nervous! I'm worried I'll misread one of the bullet points and drop loads of marks, especially considering how ridiculously high the grade boundaries are.

Did you do the May 2015 paper for your mock?

ReputationRep:
    The course is okay, I guess. I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought it would to be honest! I also do edexcel AS french and it's much more enjoyable, in my opinion.

As for the written essay it follows the same structure as edexcel IGCSE spanish so i'm relatively used to the structure but I'm still nervous! I'm worried I'll misread one of the bullet points and drop loads of marks, especially considering how ridiculously high the grade boundaries are.

Ah I did Edexcel GCSE, not iGCSE, so my written assessment was coursework based. I agree, the bullet points are highly specific. Today I was preparing for the essay about Internet and the examiner's report states that for the first bullet point you could be penalised for writing about the importance of Internet in general, rather than the importance of Internet personally to yourself. I was so shocked! I suppose with lots of practice we can become used to the structure of the written exam and know what to expect. The grade boundaries are ridiculously high though - it's so worrying

French! I was considering two languages at A level but decided on applying for Medicine, so only one language was possible. Good luck! French is an amazing language and very beneficial

ReputationRep:

Also yeah I did the 2015 paper for my mock. Did you? If so, how did you find it? The essay wasn't too bad in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Also yeah I did the 2015 paper for my mock. Did you? If so, how did you find it? The essay wasn't too bad in my opinion
    I also want to apply for medicine! You only need maths if you want to go to Cambridge (which you do from what I've seen so fair enough ).

Yeah I did the May 2015 paper, it was ok I think. The essay wouldn't have been my first choice but it was not too bad 😊

ReputationRep:
    So say I get around 90% in my AS this year, and 90% next year would this allow me to get an A*? Of course this is wishful thinking haha, it would be a miracle to get an A*! Just curious

Ahhh thank you so much for your reply! I'm so glad I'm allowed to continue for A2 next year. The literature aspect seems so interesting; apparently we have to study a Spanish book and analyse the language and context etc? That would be amazing! And I love Spanish films - for some reason I always find the storylines to be very eccentric. It's so funny

Good luck for the rest of year 13!
    yeah that would get you an A*! I do AQA so don't want to tell you the wrong thing!! But as a whole yes literature is amazing! Suerte to you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor27)
    yeah that would get you an A*! I do AQA so don't want to tell you the wrong thing!! But as a whole yes literature is amazing! Suerte to you too
    Ah thanks! Hopefully this applies to Edexcel too! Buena suerte :P

ReputationRep:
    I also want to apply for medicine! You only need maths if you want to go to Cambridge (which you do from what I've seen so fair enough ).

Yeah I did the May 2015 paper, it was ok I think. The essay wouldn't have been my first choice but it was not too bad 😊
    Ahh you're hopeful medic too?! That's great! I'm just a very paranoid person so i thought maths would give me reassurance

I'm hoping for an essay on technology or education. I'd also like to write about gender imbalance although I'm not sure if this is on the AS specification for Edexcel. Healthy living is always a nice topic too

ReputationRep:
    Ahh you're hopeful medic too?! That's great! I'm just a very paranoid person so i thought maths would give me reassurance

I'm hoping for an essay on technology or education. I'd also like to write about gender imbalance although I'm not sure if this is on the AS specification for Edexcel. Healthy living is always a nice topic too

I agree, they sound like great topics!

Which are you doing for your speaking exam?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, they sound like great topics!

Which are you doing for your speaking exam?
    For speaking it's Youth Culture (I'm pretty sure). So we talk about Music, Fashion, Technology, Family and Relationships, Drugs, Alcohol, Violence... What about you?

ReputationRep:
    We got to choose so I chose education and employment

ReputationRep:
    If this is for GCSE, I think you can underline words as long as it's not code or highlighting the consecutive words of a specific sentence. However I'm not too sure - don't take my word for it! You should ask your teacher just to be sure
    Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    Just do your best. A* is usually 90% and above but the boundaries do change year to year. Sounds like you're on course for one so just carry on with what you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Just do your best. A* is usually 90% and above but the boundaries do change year to year. Sounds like you're on course for one so just carry on with what you're doing!
    So is it 90% overall or just 90% in A2? Thank you! I really hope so, I need to aim for the highest I can and I just worry too much

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.