Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To tackle the problem with the shortage in donors, women whose babies develop fatal defects during pregnancy will be supported to continue with the pregnancy so that the NHS can harvest the organs of the baby in hopes of saving the life of someone else in need.
    The baby will be kept alive via a ventilator so that their organs are kept fresh in order to successfully perform a transplant operation.
    What are you thoughts?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-babies.html

ReputationRep:
    "harvest the organs of the baby" is the most metal thing I've read all day

ReputationRep:
    Can the mothers opt out? I don't know tbh,I have mixed feelings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    what if you are the baby with a missing or defective kidney?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaintedLight)
    what if you are the baby with a missing or defective kidney?
    Hmm.. You have a point I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Yeah, it's optional. The NHS have maintained that women are not pressured..
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6915411.html

ReputationRep:
    I can see no issues with this

We need to get them from somewhere and I'm sure for some the knowledge their child, while gone, helped another live will make their loss a little easier

ReputationRep:
    That's such a Daily Mail headline :facepalm:

and their totally unbiased infographic:

ReputationRep:
    I approve.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of the article was to harvest organs from babies who were known to have deformities which would cause them to be stillborn or die prematurely. These babies would usually be aborted with the advice and recommendation of doctors to the would-be mothers. The NHS won't persuade these women to let the babies come to term so they can harvest the organs based on the paper. I would presume they would just include it in the options available to the "parents" if the feotus was deformed or had a congenital disease which would end its life early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    That's such a Daily Mail headline :facepalm:

and their totally unbiased infographic:
    Inhumane, Brutal, Immoral, Wrong, Disgusting, Horrendous

this can be called many things but this is a forward step in medical science and if we can use this to the full potential to save other peoples lives i say why not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    Inhumane, Brutal, Immoral, Wrong, Disgusting, Horrendous

this can be called many things but this is a forward step in medical science and if we can use this to the full potential to save other peoples lives i say why not.
    I completely agree with you and think that this would be a good step in helping more people get transplants that need them.
    But I was just commenting on how the Daily Mail had to make the title sound so horror-film-esque to scare people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    I completely agree with you and think that this would be a good step in helping more people get transplants that need them.
    But I was just commenting on how the Daily Mail had to make the title sound so horror-film-esque to scare people
    agreed

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    What's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    To tackle the problem with the shortage in donors, women whose babies develop fatal defects during pregnancy will be supported to continue with the pregnancy so that the NHS can harvest the organs of the baby in hopes of saving the life of someone else in need.
    The baby will be kept alive via a ventilator so that their organs are kept fresh in order to successfully perform a transplant operation.
    What are you thoughts?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-babies.html
    How do we get from a mere "proposal" to headlines that lead us to believe that this is actually a reality that's just days away?

Sensationalism at its finest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    What's the problem?
    This is more a moral/ethical issue of should the parents be put through the trauma of carrying the child to term and then the child being kept alive artificially to harvest the required organs. The main problem is that they think mothers who are pregnant with severely disabled children will be forced to go to term with the child to harvest the organs when otherwise they would abort the feotus and not have to go through the pain of giving birth or the actual development of the child with all the morning sickness etc. for nothing other then to donate the organs.

Maybe they can provide incentives be they monetary for the organs for their troubles or other services, eg. priority organ transplant surgery if the mother/family who provided the organs from their brain dead/stillborn/ severely disabled child they would be bumped up organ transplant lists.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The organs would go to good use but I know many that this would be unbearable for. Imagine carrying your dead child for 9 months, giving birth in painful labour, only to have it taken away and left to vegitate in a box, before cutting it up to give to another ill child. Whereas most would abort and try for another.

I dont see this going down amazingly well. My younger sibling died at 1 month from her due date. Obviously my mum was distraught, she had no choice but to give birth to her, as c-section had other complications for my mum. My mum was too upset for them to do a post-mortem, let alone donate her baby's organs. I know my mum doesnt speak for all women on this front, but its going to be painful and upsetting for someone down the road.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to write about how horrible an ideas this was, murdering for the sake of organ donation.

But, if an absolute guarantee that the child would be completely brain dead, and the child would have had no chance of survival, i completely agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    My older brother and his wife's first born was identified as a baby who would either die before or within minutes of birth. They were devastated at having to induce labour prematurely. It would've been monstrous for any doctor to suggest to them that the pregnancy should be sustained to provide organs for another child. I find the suggestion monstrous. Until you have been close to people who have gone through this trauma you cannot fathom the pain this causes people. 100 % against this. These are babies, who are handled tenderly by grieving parents. I cannot think of anything more Inhumane than to sustain such pregnancies to butcher them for organs. This is sick and twisted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.