Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I should have decided on my EE topic already, but I'm struggling between these three. Which do you think would possible to carry out and which would give the best grade?

1. How does processing of fruit affect the levels of antioxidant vitamins in them and how does this benefit the human body?- Basically I would take some fruit and process it myself (boil, freeze, etc. ) and test for Vitamin C and E (and maybe beta carotene)

2. How does colour affect the memory OR how does our perception to coloured light change as we age?- I'd do a bit survey/study where I would ask a large group of people to either memorise certain things with and without colour OR see how well they see colours and can distinguish them depending on their age.

3. How effective are commercial methods of removing oral bacteria?- I'd grow some samples of bacteria from my mouth and see how effective toothpaste, mouthwash etc. is at removing them.
    What do you think of my ideas and which is the best one?Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleksandraxo)
    I should have decided on my EE topic already, but I'm struggling between these three. Which do you think would possible to carry out and which would give the best grade?

1. How does processing of fruit affect the levels of antioxidant vitamins in them and how does this benefit the human body?- Basically I would take some fruit and process it myself (boil, freeze, etc. ) and test for Vitamin C and E (and maybe beta carotene)

2. How does colour affect the memory OR how does our perception to coloured light change as we age?- I'd do a bit survey/study where I would ask a large group of people to either memorise certain things with and without colour OR see how well they see colours and can distinguish them depending on their age.

3. How effective are commercial methods of removing oral bacteria?- I'd grow some samples of bacteria from my mouth and see how effective toothpaste, mouthwash etc. is at removing them.
    What do you think of my ideas and which is the best one?Thanks in advance.
    First one seems the best, but I dunno if there is an effective way to test for vitamin c, as it is in very small quantities!! The other two seems a bit more difficult to carry out. I originally wanted to do a Bio EE, but my teachers put me off because they told me how hard it is, and put me off... Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    It's best to talk to your supervisor (who is hopefully your bio teacher?) about the matter. I did my Extended Essay in Biology and had a catzillion ideas before settling on a proper one. I could have not made the right decision for my topic of research without the guidance of my supervisor

The first item seems alright, but the "how does this benefit the human body" part sounds rather broad. You'd have to narrow down to a more focused RQ, as you are probably aware. I don't fancy the second one because to me it is on the border of being a psychological investigation instead of a purely biological one. It is also typically easier to control for variables when studying a simple nonhuman organism (were it a plant or bacteria, for example) or a very specific aspect of the human body (like isolated brain cells). The third item on your list is my favorite because I personally find it to be the most interesting (haha, such bias) but also see how you could harvest those ever valuable personal engagement points by writing your Extended Essay on it

Best of luck with your EE!
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the Biology EE process. I was predicted a B, so not that impressive, but I do have a few nice tips I came about while working on it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.