Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dumb Foriegners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Didn't I just compare the two? Although the BNP really are too extreme to be a comparison. The SNP get less extreme by the second.
    I don't know where you hear about this low number of immigrants thing but from what I know it doesn't seem to be true. Even in my own small town for instance, there are a few hundred Iraqi refugees, and there are few complaints about them. Scotland seems to be a lot more welcoming to immigrants than England. We have nowhere near the same NIMBY mentality, otherwise why would there have been such outrage over the Dungavel detention centre.
    And the Isle of Skye reference isn't racism (although Islanders are notoriously cliquey, even concerning other Scots. Several anecdotes to back that one up but I can't be bothered typing them right now.). People object to those not from the area buying holiday homes, because it takes houses out of circulation so first time buyers from the area cannot afford them, thus having to move out of the area, thus aggravating depopulation which is a serious problem in places like Skye. Also, if the houses are only in use for a small part of the year, there are few economic benefits for the area compared to someone buying it and living there and contributing economically and culturally to the area. And I have heard of many similar conflicts like this in both England and Wales so this is not Scottish racism at all.
    It is a well known fact that Scotland has a much much lower percentage of immigrants. As for racial issues in England, they come with the territory: if you mix a lot of people with different backgrounds, so much that some ethnic groups have a certain status (just a few immigrants in a huge population have very limited influence) and influence, then trouble may start. It's not something you can avoid. It's human nature.
    I'm not so sure people would agree on saying that Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen are cosmopolitan cities...
    There is a stronger sense of "pro-Britishness" in big English cities like Manchester and London and being British is more open to immigrants than becoming Scottish and English. Today, if you saw a woman with a nigerian accent on the telly and she was presented as a British citizen, noone would find that weird. If however she was presented as being Scottish, people would start asking questions.

The Isle Of Skye issue was quite serious. The mayor clearly said that what bothered him was that the percentage of local natives was decreasing. It wasn't just a question of prices going up.

If a scotsman is anti-UK, it is very likely that he's slightly racist too. If you can't accept people from the same country as you, a country that has existed for more than 200 years, you're probably not going to be willing to accept an immigrant as a Scotsman any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    It is a well known fact that Scotland has a much much lower percentage of immigrants. As for racial issues in England, they come with the territory: if you mix a lot of people with different backgrounds, so much that some ethnic groups have a certain status (just a few immigrants in a huge population have very limited influence) and influence, then trouble may start. It's not something you can avoid. It's human nature.
    I'm not so sure people would agree on saying that Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen are cosmopolitan cities...
    There is a stronger sense of "pro-Britishness" in big English cities like Manchester and London and being British is more open to immigrants than becoming Scottish and English. Today, if you saw a woman with a nigerian accent on the telly and she was presented as a British citizen, noone would find that weird. If however she was presented as being Scottish, people would start asking questions.

The Isle Of Skye issue was quite serious. The mayor clearly said that what bothered him was that the percentage of local natives was decreasing. It wasn't just a question of prices going up.

If a scotsman is anti-UK, it is very likely that he's slightly racist too. If you can't accept people from the same country as you, a country that has existed for more than 200 years, you're probably not going to be willing to accept an immigrant as a Scotsman any time soon.
    Well I think that Glasgow and Edinburgh are definitely cosmopolitan cities, not too sure about Aberdeen but I think there are reasons for that. Immigrants tend to flock to the largest cities e.g. London, and areas that immigrants are already settled in. Also, Scotland is probably a bit harder to get to as the English airports, ports etc. are all a lot bigger. It is a known fact that you are less likely to find immigrants in rural areas, and much of Scotland is rural. Yet there are still plenty of immigrants who come here and fit in well. Glasgow especially seems to have a reputation for welcoming immigrants e.g. the high Indian population, and the many Scottish/Italians or "Tartan Tallies". Even in my own small town there are several business owners from India, China and Bangladesh, and at the hotel I used to work in, half of the waiting staff were Lithuanian.
    And most people probably wouldn't recognise a Nigerian accent if they heard it. I certainly wouldn't. The reason people would find it weird if she was a Nigerian presented as a Scottish citizen, would be that most people would expect her to be speaking in an unintelligible Glasgow accent (Another reason you've got to love going for a curry in Glasgow).

And the "Isle of Skye issue" would be the same whether the new people to the area were English, Scottish or Martian. Up that way they're very protective of your culture, and unless you speak fluent Gaelic, can play the clarsach, bodhran and bagpipes, and have a name like Mhairi-Katy Macleod, you're going to be ostracised. :rolleyes: (Hideous stereotyping I know, but as a born lowlander in the Highlands, I feel slightly qualified to speak on the matter.)

(PS I really do wish I could find the 2003 Higher English Paper as one of the passages puts this much better than I do.)

ReputationRep:
    Well I think that Glasgow and Edinburgh are definitely cosmopolitan cities, not too sure about Aberdeen but I think there are reasons for that. Immigrants tend to flock to the largest cities e.g. London, and areas that immigrants are already settled in. Also, Scotland is probably a bit harder to get to as the English airports, ports etc. are all a lot bigger. It is a known fact that you are less likely to find immigrants in rural areas, and much of Scotland is rural. Yet there are still plenty of immigrants who come here and fit in well. Glasgow especially seems to have a reputation for welcoming immigrants e.g. the high Indian population, and the many Scottish/Italians or "Tartan Tallies". Even in my own small town there are several business owners from India, China and Bangladesh, and at the hotel I used to work in, half of the waiting staff were Lithuanian.
    And most people probably wouldn't recognise a Nigerian accent if they heard it. I certainly wouldn't. The reason people would find it weird if she was a Nigerian presented as a Scottish citizen, would be that most people would expect her to be speaking in an unintelligible Glasgow accent (Another reason you've got to love going for a curry in Glasgow).

And the "Isle of Skye issue" would be the same whether the new people to the area were English, Scottish or Martian. Up that way they're very protective of your culture, and unless you speak fluent Gaelic, can play the clarsach, bodhran and bagpipes, and have a name like Mhairi-Katy Macleod, you're going to be ostracised. :rolleyes: (Hideous stereotyping I know, but as a born lowlander in the Highlands, I feel slightly qualified to speak on the matter.)

(PS I really do wish I could find the 2003 Higher English Paper as one of the passages puts this much better than I do.)
    But I wonder how many of these immigrants prefer to consider themselves British before considering themselves Scottish...

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd be surprised.
    Go to most countries and say you're English and people won't really bother with you. Say you're Scottish and you'll have people buying you drinks all night (and all of the next day too if you're wearing a kilt).

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd be surprised.
    Go to most countries and say you're English and people won't really bother with you. Say you're Scottish and you'll have people buying you drinks all night (and all of the next day too if you're wearing a kilt).
    It's not our fault we have no culture...
    Actually in Canada and the USA, I've noticed that I've had more success with people buying me drinks than some Scots I know. But I'm sure a lot of Scots get bought drinks too (if they can actually understand your accent).

ReputationRep:
    That's only because you went to war with them.
    And I remember my dad wearing a t-shirt with the Scottish flag on it on holiday in Texas. About three people came running over to him in the course of the day begging to know if we were Scottish then chatting to us for an hour.

ReputationRep:
    That's only because you went to war with them.
    And I remember my dad wearing a t-shirt with the Scottish flag on it on holiday in Texas. About three people came running over to him in the course of the day begging to know if we were Scottish then chatting to us for an hour.
    Ummm which country are we talking about? England didn't go to war with the USA. Britain did.
    Being Scottish is defintely more exotic in the USA than being English...

ReputationRep:
    And only one leader of a Scottish political party wasn't on an anti-war march, almost certainly because his good friend Tony would have yelled at him if he had been.

ReputationRep:
    And only one leader of a Scottish political party wasn't on an anti-war march, almost certainly because his good friend Tony would have yelled at him if he had been.
    But the Scottish soldiers had to go. Little Acaila, there's one thing you seem to have forgotten. Seen from outside the British Isles, there is no England, there is no Scotland, there is no NI and there is no Wales. Only one country: the UK and when the UK goes to war, the whole country does.

A lot of "English" politicans (do we always have to make the distinction? For foreign affairs, the fact that a politician is Scottish or Welsh is insignificant) were against the war too. Doesn't change the fact that in practice, we went to war.

The UK with Italy were the two European countries with the biggest demonstrations. Yet that didn't change the fact they went to war.

ReputationRep:
    Can we get back to the point please?

And who are you calling little, shorty?!

ReputationRep:
    Can we get back to the point please?

And who are you calling little, shorty?!
    You're almost 6 years younger than me and your avatar looks small.
    No, I'm not short.

So we agree the UK, therefore Scotland went to war in Iraq? I think that's still the point being made.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't make me smaller than you! My dad's brother is 12 years younger than him and 7 inches taller!
    And your avatar seemed to be of an ant.
    Shorty

And it's Iraq, not Irak.

And the point you were going on about was that Scots are supposedly, and I emphasise supposedly racist.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't make me smaller than you! My dad's brother is 12 years younger than him and 7 inches taller!
    And your avatar seemed to be of an ant.
    Shorty

And it's Iraq, not Irak.

And the point you were going on about was that Scots are supposedly, and I emphasise supposedly racist.
    Well if it's spelt Iraq (see I've changed my previous message), how do you spell it in Scots Gaelic?

And I don't believe that they're racist, just a bit intolerant...

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea. Gaelic is a useless dead language in my opinion. People would be much better off learning a useful language. But so much money is pored into it that schools up here keep it going because they get paid too. A Gaelic teacher wanted some new dictionaries for her class. She got given 28, even though she doesn't have any classes of more than five pupils.

ReputationRep:
    Gaelic is a useless dead language in my opinion. People would be much better off learning a useful language.

:eek:
    No nation without language. Ní tír gan teanga.

ReputationRep:
    Hmph! I've found learning Dark Elvish more useful than any Gaelic.

ReputationRep:
    Dark elvish? Why would you want to learn that unless you're a Tolkien geek?

ReputationRep:
    It's actually not from Tolkien, it's from the Forgotten Realms DnD setting.....ok I'm coming off sounding like a right geek now amn't I?

ReputationRep:
    Gaelic may not be particularly useful, but you'll be ignoring a distinctive feature of your national identity if you don't at least learn some.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.