Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting into my GCSE revision now, but am not sure on the best way to approach writing all the notes I need to write and revise from! Revision cards? A4 note sheets? And how do I choose what to include and what not to? Anything helps...

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Gibby,

I would suggest starting off by gathering the specifications for each of your subjects, so that you can keep your revision focused on what you actually need to know. Then, decide how you are going to format your notes. Use the method/methods you like best, e.g. mind maps, bullet points, revision cards etc. Personally, when I was revising for my GCSEs (and my A Levels!), I typed up as much of my revision material as I could. I can type much faster than I can write by hand, so it was easier for me. Also, typing allowed me to edit and format the information easily, so that's something you could consider.

Once you've got all of your revision notes sorted, start learning them! You'll probably find that you were actually taking in at least some of the material while you were creating your notes, which makes the actual revision process much quicker

It's also a good idea, if you have time, to go through as many past papers as you can. Past papers are a great way to identify any topics where your knowledge is lacking, and also allows you to see how previous questions were set out, so you'll have an idea of what the questions might look like in the real exam.

I hope that helps, and best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hiya Gibby,

I would suggest starting off by gathering the specifications for each of your subjects, so that you can keep your revision focused on what you actually need to know. Then, decide how you are going to format your notes. Use the method/methods you like best, e.g. mind maps, bullet points, revision cards etc. Personally, when I was revising for my GCSEs (and my A Levels!), I typed up as much of my revision material as I could. I can type much faster than I can write by hand, so it was easier for me. Also, typing allowed me to edit and format the information easily, so that's something you could consider.

Once you've got all of your revision notes sorted, start learning them! You'll probably find that you were actually taking in at least some of the material while you were creating your notes, which makes the actual revision process much quicker

It's also a good idea, if you have time, to go through as many past papers as you can. Past papers are a great way to identify any topics where your knowledge is lacking, and also allows you to see how previous questions were set out, so you'll have an idea of what the questions might look like in the real exam.

I hope that helps, and best of luck!
    Do you 'absorb' the info with notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theconfusedman)
    Do you 'absorb' the info with notes?
    I'm not sure whether I 'absorb' the information as such. I tended to make all of my notes, then read them over and over until I understood and could remember them. Everyone learns differently though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot Leviathan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GibbyGibson123)
    Thanks a lot Leviathan
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether I 'absorb' the information as such. I tended to make all of my notes, then read them over and over until I understood and could remember them. Everyone learns differently though
    I think im gonna give this a try, thanks!
    May i ask what grades you achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theconfusedman)
    I think im gonna give this a try, thanks!
    May i ask what grades you achieved?
    At GCSE I got 5 As and 5 Bs, and at A Level I got ABB. Best of luck with your exams!

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE I got 5 As and 5 Bs, and at A Level I got ABB. Best of luck with your exams!
    Thanks and well done on yours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GibbyGibson123)
    I'm getting into my GCSE revision now, but am not sure on the best way to approach writing all the notes I need to write and revise from! Revision cards? A4 note sheets? And how do I choose what to include and what not to? Anything helps...
    experiment different methods and see which works for YOU. I sometimes type up my notes, sometimes write them out, stick notes around the house etc

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.