Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

For years I've been learning to play instruments, etc, but one thing I can't fathom is the concept of having learnt an instrument. How do you do that? Surely all you can do is learn a few songs and that's it, but that isn't really having learnt an instrument, surely?

Not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Well you learn to make in tune sound out of an instrument while learning to read music that relates to the notes you can play, that's the best way I can describe it

ReputationRep:
    Learning an instrument is when you can read the music, understand how to play different styles, understand your instrument. It's more than just learning a few songs

Edit: so in a way, you are learning an instrument for as long as you play it because you are always improving and learning new techniques.

ReputationRep:
    How do you understand how to play in different in styles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science_Girl)
    Learning an instrument is when you can read the music, understand how to play different styles, understand your instrument. It's more than just learning a few songs

Edit: so in a way, you are learning an instrument for as long as you play it because you are always improving and learning new techniques.
    Plus you can play by ear and tell what note it is. There's also being able to compose, listen to, use and apply those different techniques on that one single instrument or another instrument. It could help you harmonise with another instrument / singer etc.

ReputationRep:
    Learn it so that you can play anything you want. Understand it to the level whereby you can hear a piece or see a piece written, and play it.

I've learnt bass and piano (some guitar and drums) by ear, so for me it about understanding the instrument, as I can't read music. If that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    I can play some stuff by ear. Like the simple notes, etc. But what confuses me is chords and how I'm meant to know chords by ear when there's about 70 different combinations. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    I can play some stuff by ear. Like the simple notes, etc. But what confuses me is chords and how I'm meant to know chords by ear when there's about 70 different combinations. :P
    The more you play the better you'll get a feel for it; its a little like differentiating between different shades of colour, you just get to know things and don't even think about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treen98)
    The more you play the better you'll get a feel for it; its a little like differentiating between different shades of colour, you just get to know things and don't even think about it
    But when you say the more you play do you mean just learning songs and playing them or is there something more to playing it?

ReputationRep:
    But when you say the more you play do you mean just learning songs and playing them or is there something more to playing it?
    A song should be perfected so you need the patience and the willpower to do this I'm not really sure what you're looking for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A song should be perfected so you need the patience and the willpower to do this I'm not really sure what you're looking for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You said "the more you play the better" etc, but when you say that do you mean the more songs I play over and over again?

ReputationRep:
    You said "the more you play the better" etc, but when you say that do you mean the more songs I play over and over again?
    The more new songs you learn and can play well, the easier it will be for you to learn further new pieces and bring your playing to a higher standard. Basically its you making the progression from a total beginner playing something like Skye Boat Song to a professional player, playing the same tune

ReputationRep:
    The more new songs you learn and can play well, the easier it will be for you to learn further new pieces and bring your playing to a higher standard. Basically its you making the progression from a total beginner playing something like Skye Boat Song to a professional player, playing the same tune
    Ah, thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's not just about playing songs, imo:
    I've been playing the ukulele for 3 and a half years now. As well as learning to play songs (and trying to learn to stay in time!) I'm also learning how to play scales. I've also relearnt (used to play guitar for a bit) how to read tab.

I have a friend who teaches me over Skype most weeks and has done since new year. In that time, we've done 2 songs, a few new chords (+ an easier way of playing them) and quite a bit of theory.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.