Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Literature - New Spec - AS level - AQA - exam MAY 2016. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if you could help me out by answering a few queries of mine.

All of the mocks that I have completed in class, I continuously received a C grade: no higher, no lower - and that is since September, 2015.

My aspirational target is a B, and although I have been trying to get there, the feedback that I have been given has not been entirely useful.

So...

How can I structure my essay answers?
    What revision methods are best?
    What is the essential criteria that I MUST include in each individual paragraph?

But generally: how can I progress?

Thank you in advance for your replies, and kind regards.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I generally go with the structure of PETER:
    Point
    Evidence
    Technique
    Explain (connotations, denotations, alternative meaning, word level analysis)
    Reader Response

I also like to include single word quotes to back up my explanation. For example, when saying a point about Macbeth, I would say "described by his wife as a 'coward'..."
    Another good tip for sophistication is using the third person (try 'one could say' or 'this indicates to the reader'). For revision I would definitely suggest past papers and analysing the text very closely. Reading around the subject can also help.
    Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal1999)
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if you could help me out by answering a few queries of mine.

All of the mocks that I have completed in class, I continuously received a C grade: no higher, no lower - and that is since September, 2015.

My aspirational target is a B, and although I have been trying to get there, the feedback that I have been given has not been entirely useful.

So...

How can I structure my essay answers?
    What revision methods are best?
    What is the essential criteria that I MUST include in each individual paragraph?

But generally: how can I progress?

Thank you in advance for your replies, and kind regards.
    Ensure that, whenever you're answering the question, you're picking out the intricacies that lie within it and create a strong argument that is in response to it. Try to have an argumentative style to your essay and construct alternative counter arguments that you can evaluate using particular elements of language, structure and form or contexts. Remember that when you construct a counter argument, however, that you do not distort the question and start talking about something completely different, but that you give reasons why the view laid out in the question is not feasible.

Try to make sure you are analysing language both closely and widely. It is often the case that students do one but not the other and it is equally likely to find a student who completely forgets to write elements of language (and structure and form). You want to be looking at how particular words and their connotations may be used to influence your viewpoint and the possible significances these have, but then you also want to not zoom in too closely that you lose the bigger picture, but zoom back out and explain how this is related to the text as a whole - and also the question.

Evaluation is key to a top band answer. This is not just saying x is better than y, but it is writing about why you believe this is the case. It is about giving your examiner a personal response, showing the ability to critically analyse a piece of literature, appreciate some other interpretations and then state why yours is more judicious and credible in the light of the writer, the context and the text. There is no interpretation that is more likely than the other, either - as long as you manage to support your points well, you should be absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightbrigade)
    Hi,
    I generally go with the structure of PETER:
    Point
    Evidence
    Technique
    Explain (connotations, denotations, alternative meaning, word level analysis)
    Reader Response

I also like to include single word quotes to back up my explanation. For example, when saying a point about Macbeth, I would say "described by his wife as a 'coward'..."
    Another good tip for sophistication is using the third person (try 'one could say' or 'this indicates to the reader'. For revision I would definitely suggest past papers and analysing the text very closely. Reading around the subject can also help.
    Hope this helped

Thank you very, very much for your reply. It is very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Ensure that, whenever you're answering the question, you're picking out the intricacies that lie within it and create a strong argument that is in response to it. Try to have an argumentative style to your essay and construct alternative counter arguments that you can evaluate using particular elements of language, structure and form or contexts. Remember that when you construct a counter argument, however, that you do not distort the question and start talking about something completely different, but that you give reasons why the view laid out in the question is not feasible.

Try to make sure you are analysing language both closely and widely. It is often the case that students do one but not the other and it is equally likely to find a student who completely forgets to write elements of language (and structure and form). You want to be looking at how particular words and their connotations may be used to influence your viewpoint and the possible significances these have, but then you also want to not zoom in too closely that you lose the bigger picture, but zoom back out and explain how this is related to the text as a whole - and also the question.

Evaluation is key to a top band answer. This is not just saying x is better than y, but it is writing about why you believe this is the case. It is about giving your examiner a personal response, showing the ability to critically analyse a piece of literature, appreciate some other interpretations and then state why yours is more judicious and credible in the light of the writer, the context and the text. There is no interpretation that is more likely than the other, either - as long as you manage to support your points well, you should be absolutely fine
    Thank you very, very much for such a detailed and in-depth reply. It is very much appreciated.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.