Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So whenever there is any chat about what change you'd like to see in the modern game, the obvious answer now is always video replays for referees.

While that would be my first choice change, I'd also like to see the orange card introduced

At the moment, two yellows get a red card. I'd like to see a red card have a value of three so either 3 yellow cards or 1 orange + a yellow card would get you a red.

Might sound a little ridiculous? Well it's because you see a lot more of "a harsh yellow" or "almost a red" etc.

Little things like taking your shirt off to celebrate or showing dissent to the ref etc. Even some niggly fouls or dangerous ones where a yellow is too much or not enough.

I think it would help referees manage games better and also help players where they can get a silly yellow early on and then have to curb their game for the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    I see ... good idea ...
    Name:  S3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  7.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    An incompetent referee with a different colour card is still an incompetent referee.

ReputationRep:
    Sin bins.

Yellow card = 5 minutes off the field.

Red card stays as is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I see ... good idea ...
    Name:  S3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  7.9 KB
    Thanks - I agree it's a good idea.

(Original post by Welkom)
    An incompetent referee with a different colour card is still an incompetent referee.
    Well referees need help from technology. The game has moved on so much that the ref's job isn't getting any easier. I just think things like a yellow card for taking off shirt or petulant fouls or time wasting etc aren't really the same as a bad tackle.

(Original post by Drewski)
    Sin bins.

Yellow card = 5 minutes off the field.

Red card stays as is.
    Bit harsh if you lose all your defensive players to the sin bin..

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Graham Poll try something like this before?

(Original post by Zerforax)
    Bit harsh if you lose all your defensive players to the sin bin..
    It's their own fault. Perfectly possible to play defensive football without fouling people. And if the entire back 4 has been binned then the attacking team deserves the power play (yes, ice hockey-like).

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Graham Poll try something like this before?

It's their own fault. Perfectly possible to play defensive football without fouling people. And if the entire back 4 has been binned then the attacking team deserves the power play (yes, ice hockey-like).
    Woeful idea. We want to make football as un-American as possible, not the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    Woeful idea. We want to make football as un-American as possible, not the opposite.
    Sin bin comes from rugby more than it does American sport.

Yellow cards need to be more of a penalty than they are now - OP's idea actually dilutes them. We want to reduce the number of fouls in the game, yes? Then make a card-worthy foul be an actual hindrance to the team.

ReputationRep:
    Sin bin comes from rugby more than it does American sport.

Yellow cards need to be more of a penalty than they are now - OP's idea actually dilutes them. We want to reduce the number of fouls in the game, yes? Then make a card-worthy foul be an actual hindrance to the team.
    Yeah, we need to make it as little like rugby as possible too.

Why do they? When the laws are applied correctly and consistently the card system is perfectly fine, I would simply remove redundant penalisations such as removing your shirt after scoring.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we need to make it as little like rugby as possible too.

Why do they? When the laws are applied correctly and consistently the card system is perfectly fine, I would simply remove redundant penalisations such as removing your shirt after scoring.
    Why? Several good ideas come from rugby. Obviously they need to be implemented in the right way (football doesn't want 5 minute stoppages), but we're already seeing video tech - that rugby's very good at - being brought in. I like the idea of referees wearing microphones too.

Would agree that some silly 'fouls' need removing, but the point is the rules aren't being implemented equally, so what can we do about that?

ReputationRep:
    Why? Several good ideas come from rugby. Obviously they need to be implemented in the right way (football doesn't want 5 minute stoppages), but we're already seeing video tech - that rugby's very good at - being brought in. I like the idea of referees wearing microphones too.

Would agree that some silly 'fouls' need removing, but the point is the rules aren't being implemented equally, so what can we do about that?
    Referees wearing microphones would be entertaining, so I agree with that.

Train referees to be less incompetent instead of glorifying the role as 'extremely difficult' and glossing over them missing glaringly obvious decisions right in front of their eyes. People like Howard Webb and Dermot Gallagher going on TV to defend referees all the time is a joke, if they're making the wrong decisions, punish them. Let's educate refs to improve instead of making excuses for them all the time.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.