Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hybrid mobile app watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of building a mobile app with articles on how to use a piece of software. I'm hoping to code it in html,css and JavaScript with a bit of native code for the phone. I want the user to be able to search, add, edit and delete articles. Does anyone have any advice on how I can achieve this? Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on for which platform you intend to build the app.

I would build the HTML, CSS and JavaScript part as you mentioned to be responsive and host it somewhere reliable (Smart Hosting comes to mind). You may find it easier to simply deploy an instance of a popular CMS such as WordPress. If you go with WordPress, I'd recommend for you to check out the WP-Touch plugin.

Next, download the Android Studio IDE and have a play with the web browser functionality - you should be able to 'frame' your website in there so it appears somewhat native.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

Have a great evening!

ReputationRep:
    Look at phone gap, Apache Cordova - that seems to be what you are looking for. Ionic is a good library to help build native looking apps in html/css/angular js.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistudent95)
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of building a mobile app with articles on how to use a piece of software. I'm hoping to code it in html,css and JavaScript with a bit of native code for the phone. I want the user to be able to search, add, edit and delete articles. Does anyone have any advice on how I can achieve this? Thanks in advance
    If you want a responsive site, I recommend that you use a mobile first web framework (such as Twitter Bootstrap).

ReputationRep:
    Ah brilliant this stuff is great, what's an easy piece of software to install? Ionic is quite complex and I don't want to install multiple things and use git

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    ^ complex and doesn't want to use version control... thinks they understand HTML/CSS and some JS for a mobile app. No wonder employers are hiring outside the UK. :sigh:

Anyway, this is a duplicate thread, my response is in the original: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=12 where I actually provide a lot of helpful info and advice to the OP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.