Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what career I want to go into so I was planning on taking philosophy, french and music because I enjoy them. The only thing is, I'm not sure if those subjects could really lead to many careers?
    The other thing is that I like the idea of being a dietician but I would have to take two sciences for another two years, and I hate science apart from food science and a few other specific areas. I don't know if it's worth doing while I'm not certain that's what I'd like to do, it's just an idea?
    Also as a career would it somehow be possibly to be a music/philosophy teacher and travel round the world teaching for a living?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just do subjects you're interested in. French, philosophy and music are perfectly good A levels. Do you want to go to university, or go straight into work after school?Dietetics degrees contain rather a lot of science (cell biology, physiology, psychology, biochemistry, genetics etc); if you hate science then you shouldn't do this degree. Teaching abroad is an option but you need to do a degree first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Just do subjects you're interested in. French, philosophy and music are perfectly good A levels. Do you want to go to university, or go straight into work after school?Dietetics degrees contain rather a lot of science (cell biology, physiology, psychology, biochemistry, genetics etc); if you hate science then you shouldn't do this degree. Teaching abroad is an option but you need to do a degree first.
    I'd like to go to university after school. And I know, but I do enjoy a few specific areas of science (food science being on of them) so I do think that overall I'd really enjoy dietetics.Thank you for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    I've looked into philosophy A level myself to see what careers it can lead to, and it only directly leads to being a philsophy teacher, although some companies like people with a degree in it, something about open-mindedness.

French is generally an all round good thing, all the jobs people love bilingual people.

No idea what music does.

If you wanna do dietetics stuff you will almost certainly need some science, but if you hate science then don't go down that path, it'll be awful during your A level and you might change your mind on what you wanna do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that although you like the dietics stuff right now, but seeing as the sciences do not appeal, there a whole range of other paths to go down, and those A-Levels are perfectly good ones.

An idea would be to go onto Uni websites to look at courses they offer (thousands if you include joint-degrees, ones with a split in subject's taught) to get an idea of what you might like to look into.

Try to get a rough idea, and if all else fails, go with your gut and do what you like doing, keeping an open mind.

Good luck choosing ur A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said; do what you enjoy. A lot of universities will have a standard grade offer without specific subject requirements such as PPE and archaeology. You will most likely find the career you want to go into by chance during your A-Levels.
    However if you are 100% sure that you want to become a dietician then look at what university courses are like and how much of the course you would actually like, especially because you aren't a fan of the sciences, then decide which route is best for you. But A-Levels are a lot harder when you don't enjoy the subject (know that from experience!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.