The Student Room Group

as a millenial, life ends at 18

Scroll to see replies

You can easily move out and own a home before the age of 30, you just have to be intelligent about how you spend and save your money. Having a decent job always helps, but obviously the majority of posters probably don't have a job or lack any experience.
Original post by Reue
Took me 30 seconds on google to find a large employer looking for new full time employees in hull.

Then another 30 seconds to google the exact location, search for recent sale prices within 1/4 mile radius and find properties selling for ~£80k as discussed on this thread.

I expect youll try and tell me differently, bit every time a thread like this pops up and we've actually done job searches in the local areas it has shown plenty of avaliable positions and housing.

You're completely missing the point - it's not that the positions and housing doesn't exist, it's that nowhere near enough of it does for the current population size; the average national wage might buy a house fairly comfortably in places, but these places tend to be cheaper because of relative economic depravity compared to the rest of the country, meaning the average local wage is below that of the national wage.There will still be those who meet the national average, but comparatively few.

There are outliers to this trend, pockets where wages and house prices aren't so disparate, but the general trend for millennials is that to get a good wage they need to move towards bigger hubs, where house prices are higher (and more importantly rental prices/the cost of living are exorbitant, which massively impacts on the ability to save up a deposit) and remain out of reach.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You're completely missing the point - it's not that the positions and housing doesn't exist, it's that nowhere near enough of it does for the current population size; the average national wage might buy a house fairly comfortably in places, but these places tend to be cheaper because of relative economic depravity compared to the rest of the country, meaning the average local wage is below that of the national wage.There will still be those who meet the national average, but comparatively few.

There are outliers to this trend, pockets where wages and house prices aren't so disparate, but the general trend for millennials is that to get a good wage they need to move towards bigger hubs, where house prices are higher (and more importantly rental prices/the cost of living are exorbitant, which massively impacts on the ability to save up a deposit) and remain out of reach.

Not sure I've missed the point at all. OP is about it being impossible to move out before 30 and I've sought to disprove that.

We've not been talking about national averages or overall housing supply.. Just that it is totally possibly for someone earning minimum wage to do so and own their own property before 30 in this country if that's what they want to achieve.

I'd love to debate about how difficult it is to do so in the South east and other high demand areas, and indeed it would be a worthwhile discussion as it seems so many on here are totally deluded about what their graduate salaries are going to be.. But that's a different discussion and would warrant a dedicated thread.
Okay. I'm getting £9 an hour, working 30 hours at an Asda in West Yorkshire (which could be cut down to 19.5 hours as contracted at any time). Now you do the math and tell me where the hell I could afford to rent on my own or even less likely, buy. (Without living in the middle of a dank area of Bradford where I would probably top myself from being forced to live in a sh*thole area in a box with a dank living room/kitchen/bedroom all crammed into one with a sloped roof.

Quick Reply

Latest