Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think there should be equality? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know most people will say yes without thinking.
    But for me it kinda depends what type of equality we are talking about.

So do you think there should be "Complete" equality? So EVERYTHING is equal?
    Honestly no.

ReputationRep:
    equality regarding characteristics we cannot control.

ReputationRep:
    As before, equality will never exist. But equal opportunity should. If someone really has their heart set on an honest goal, then they should be able to achieve it without people standing in their way.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, every human being is born equal with the right to as much a happy life as the next, that's what equality is to me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asuna Yuuki)
    As before, equality will never exist. But equal opportunity should. If someone really has their heart set on an honest goal, then they should be able to achieve it without people standing in their way.
    Yeah. I agree with that to. How they should have an equal opportunity as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    So do you think there should be "Complete" equality? So EVERYTHING is eqal? Honestly no.
    Care to elaborate on your answer?

ReputationRep:

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)

Opinions?
    Kinda like equality and equity.
    Quite like the example someone else said to me a few days ago about a race.

Equality in a race would be everyone starting at the same place even if they are on the outer ring.
    Equity would change where they start to make it more fair so people run the same distance.

ReputationRep:
    Kinda like equality and equity.
    Quite like the example someone else said to me a few days ago about a race.

Equality in a race would be everyone starting at the same place even if they are on the outer ring.
    Equity would change where they start to make it more fair so people run the same distance.
    Yeah that's a good example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Care to elaborate on your answer?
    This is going to be a bit of a **** answer but here it is:

If everything was equal. So everyone would get paid exactly the same regardless of job. Can you imagine what society would be like? Would there be any point to do a degree to become a doctor or something when someone who works in a shop or something gets paid exactly the same amount. Also what I said below. Theres equality and equity. Equality doesn't always mean its fair.

Obviously I think there should be equality so everyone has the same opportunity regardless of race, gender and other characteristics.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be a bit of a **** answer but here it is:

If everything was equal. So everyone would get paid exactly the same regardless of job. Can you imagine what society would be like? Would there be any point to do a degree to become a doctor or something when someone who works in a shop or something gets paid exactly the same amount. Also what I said below. Theres equality and equity. Equality doesn't always mean its fair.

Obviously I think there should be equality so everyone has the same opportunity regardless of race, gender and other characteristics.
    Agreed, that kind kind of equality is Communism. Communism would be equal but it would be damn boring.

ReputationRep:
    I know most people will say yes without thinking.
    But for me it kinda depends what type of equality we are talking about.

So do you think there should be "Complete" equality? So EVERYTHING is equal?
    Honestly no.
    Seeing a lot of threads like this - equality doesn't mean being the same, it just means that regardless of race, gender, sexuality or any other natural state, one person has as much chance of success as the next. So yes I think there should be equality.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Equality in terms of equal rights and opportunities is essential :yep:

However, I don't agree with the concept of "complete equality" as defined by the OP in post #10.

ReputationRep:

Opinions?
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. Sounds pretty communist to me.

Kinda like equality and equity.Quite like the example someone else said to me a few days ago about a race.Equality in a race would be everyone starting at the same place even if they are on the outer ring.Equity would change where they start to make it more fair so people run the same distance.
    Sounds suspiciously like equality to me.

Your former example sounds more like the fake *******s "equality of opportunity" we are all force fed on a daily basis. We are all told we have the chance to be great when in fact the system places us at vastly unequal starting points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Equality in terms of equal rights and opportunities is essential :yep:

However, I don't agree with the concept of "complete equality" as defined by the OP in post #10.
    Yeah I think everyone should have equal opportunity's and rights.

My definition which I said was pretty crap I guess.

ReputationRep:

Opinions?
    I was literally thinking of this picture when I opened this thread. Definitely agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    I was literally thinking of this picture when I opened this thread. Definitely agree with it.
    Yeah seen it a lot ;D
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah I think everyone should have equal opportunity's and rights.

My definition which I said was pretty crap I guess.
    :lol:

Of course, beyond these basic principles, I think society is right to be meritocratic (I think this is what Student403 was alluding to when she posted that pic above )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    :lol:

Of course, beyond these basic principles, I think society is right to be meritocratic (I think this is what Student403 was alluding to when she posted that pic above )
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Ahh my gawdd!!!

Why does no one know anything. That picture does not contradict all notions of equality. Small people should be given more boxes. Or we could horde the boxes, get a monopoly over box production. Then use that leverage to exploit the distribution of boxes for small people to maximise money.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" ~ Small guy has greater needs for boxes. So give him boxes. Box communism.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.