Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VA131 - Number of MPs Amendment Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this amendment be passed into the Constitution?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    29.27%
    On the contrary, No
    63.41%
    Abstain
    7.32%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I happen to have known the individual in question personally for the last ten years and I can assure you he isn't slow, he just tends to take things literally.
    Oh boy, I hope I didn't accidentally insult your dad.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Top tip: When attempting to insult someone, try and think of something original :rofl: Besides, I'm not offended, I was just notifying you, as a disinterested observer, of how you're perceived :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Top tip: When attempting to insult someone, try and think of something original :rofl: Besides, I'm not offended, I was just notifying you, as a disinterested observer, of how you're perceived :lol:
    Makes a change from insulting one's Mama

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Makes a change from insulting one's Mama

Posted from TSR Mobile
    creative
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Urgent question Mr Speaker,
    RayApparently

Being still new to procedure, would this vote impact the by-election?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    RayApparently

It shouldn't because it relates to election process, so the new seats won't actually come about until the next general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nat
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    That also shows

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright. Keep your metaphorical hair on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Are you suggesting I am cranbrook_apsie's father? If so, you are quite wrong...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    RayApparently

This amendment won't impact the upcoming by-election, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Are you suggesting I am cranbrook_apsie's father? If so, you are quite wrong...
    Yes, captain obvious. It was a joke, captain oblivious.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes, captain obvious. It was a joke, captain oblivious.
    Deliberate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Deliberate?
    Yes, of course. It's obvious that I was indeed suggesting that while he was apparently oblivious to the fact that I was clearly joking so there's no need to tell me I was wrong.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, of course. It's obvious that I was indeed suggesting that while he was apparently oblivious to the fact that I was clearly joking so there's no need to tell me I was wrong.
    You're really embarrassing yourself, if that was a joke it wasn't obvious at all. It came across as a passive aggressive insult. If you're not British, don't try and tell jokes to British people, it doesn't tend to work. And, incidentally, vice versa. Our sense of humour is bizarre and unique.

ReputationRep:
    You're really embarrassing yourself, if that was a joke it wasn't obvious at all. It came across as a passive aggressive insult. If you're not British, don't try and tell jokes to British people, it doesn't tend to work. And, incidentally, vice versa. Our sense of humour is bizarre and unique.
    Sorry.

(Am I doing this right?)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone, British or not, should be allowed to tell anyone, British or not, jokes. Nationality or ethnicity shouldn't come into play when determining who may or may not tell jokes to whom, especially when that's clearly a part of freedom of speech.

I think it's more embarrassing for you to show yourself to be judgemental against people solely on the basis of ethnicity.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If you're not British, don't try and tell jokes to British people, it doesn't tend to work. And, incidentally, vice versa.
    This is clear racism.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Anyone, British or not, should be allowed to tell anyone, British or not, jokes. Nationality or ethnicity shouldn't come into play when determining who may or may not tell jokes to whom, especially when that's clearly a part of freedom of speech.

I think it's more embarrassing for you to show yourself to be judgemental against people solely on the basis of ethnicity.
    I didn't say non-Brits shouldn't be allowed to tell Brits jokes and vice versa, that's ridiculous. I simply said it's not a good idea, because of the uniqueness of the British sense of humour and the resulting likely incomprehension.

(Original post by The Financier)
    This is clear racism.
    Where did I mention race?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say non-Brits shouldn't be allowed to tell Brits jokes and vice versa, that's ridiculous. I simply said it's not a good idea, because of the uniqueness of the British sense of humour and the resulting likely incomprehension.
    If you're not British, don't try and tell jokes to British people
    You didn't say non-Brits shouldn't be 'allowed', but you use the imperative and saying it as if it's an order, ie 'don't cheat', 'don't steal', 'don't kill'.But the most important thing is that you were clearly using ethnicity as the only criterion of your judgment. Not all British people will have the same sense of humour and not everyone in the rest of the world will have a different sense of humour that doesn't translate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    This is clear racism.
    And a Labourite.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.