Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VA131 - Number of MPs Amendment Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this amendment be passed into the Constitution?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    29.27%
    On the contrary, No
    63.41%
    Abstain
    7.32%

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    You didn't say non-Brits shouldn't be 'allowed', but you use the imperative and saying it as if it's an order, ie 'don't cheat', 'don't steal', 'don't kill'.But the most important thing is that you were clearly using ethnicity as the only criterion of your judgment. Not all British people will have the same sense of humour and not everyone in the rest of the world will have a different sense of humour that doesn't translate.
    Firstly, it's not an order in this case, it's a piece of advice, like 'don't immerse your laptop in water' or 'don't eat that pear yet, it isn't ripe'. Secondly, British isn't an ethnicity. British people are of multiple ethnicities. Thirdly, of course not all British people have the exact same sense of humour, no, But you can't deny that British humour is unique - the excessive use of sarcasm, the tendency to poke fun at ourselves on one occasion, 'banter', the frequent nsfw references etc etc - and that there are jokes which British people are more likely to get than those of other nationalities, just like with most other countries.

And a Labourite.
    I really hope you know that there are British people of all races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Firstly, it's not an order in this case, it's a piece of advice, like 'don't immerse your laptop in water' or 'don't eat that pear yet, it isn't ripe'. Secondly, British isn't an ethnicity. British people are of multiple ethnicities. Thirdly, of course not all British people have the exact same sense of humour, no, But you can't deny that British humour is unique - the excessive use of sarcasm, the tendency to poke fun at ourselves on one occasion, 'banter', the frequent nsfw references etc etc - and that there are jokes which British people are more likely to get than those of other nationalities, just like with most other countries.
    Blah blah blah. Excuses. You judged people based on their ethnicity and there's no way you can argue your way out of it.

Yes, there are multiple ethnicities within Britain, but so what? You're saying:
    white British OK; white French not OK
    Asian British OK; Asian French not OK
    Black British OK; black French not OK
    etc.

And whether someone is 'British' is your only criterion here.

I really hope you know that there are British people of all races.
    I'm a person of colour and a British subject, you know?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Blah blah blah. Excuses. You judged people based on their ethnicity and there's no way you can argue your way out of it.

Yes, there are multiple ethnicities within Britain, but so what? You're saying:
    white British OK; white French not OK
    Asian British OK; Asian French not OK
    Black British OK; black French not OK
    etc.

And whether someone is 'British' is your only criterion here.

I'm a person of colour and a British subject, you know?
    I did not, do not and will never judge people based on their ethnicity. Ethnicity !=nationality.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Please don't make things up. I did not say that anyone is OK or not OK. I simply said that there are jokes that non-British people are not likely to get. There are also jokes that non-Americans are not likely to get, jokes that non-French people are not likely to get, jokes that non-Chinese people are not likely to get, jokes that non-Algerian people are not likely to get, jokes that non-Brazilian people are not likely to get, etc etc etc. The point I was making was just that each individual country has its own variety of humour. Nothing to do with race, nothing to do with ethnicity.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    May we please direct our off-topic debate to the bar.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    May we please direct our off-topic debate to the bar.
    I didn't realise this wasn't the bar

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise this wasn't the bar
    RayApparently For ****'s sake, mate! Could you kindly create those threads so that the British can understand their purpose? I'm sure all of us bloody foreigners do appreciate your effort to help us out by not making them ‘bizarre’ and ‘unique’ but it's us who should adapt, really.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    RayApparently For ****'s sake, mate! Could you kindly create those threads so that the British can understand their purpose? I'm sure all of us bloody foreigners do appreciate your effort to help us out by not making them ‘bizarre’ and ‘unique’ but it's us who should adapt, really.
    LP, I must quickly ask, when you became Tory Leader were you elected unopposed or did you steal a British Person's job?

Okay, I've had my fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 12
    Noes to the left: 26
    Abstain: 3

The Noes have it! The Noes have it. Unlock.
    Turnout: 82%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.