Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA AS Chemistry 7404/1 and 7404/2 - 27th May 2016 and 10th June 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerzxcv1234569)
    This was so nice to read! Thank you
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know fragmentation for AS in paper 2?

ReputationRep:
    What's fragmentation?!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nahhh that exam was too difficult, lost at-least 20 marks, finished on the dot; usually finish with 30 mins spare. What the hell are AQA trying, hopefully boundaries are in our favour, that paper was next level tbh, Not one person i know said it was easy, proper mashed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d010534)
    What's fragmentation?!!!
    YES we did need to know is for AS ,

But NO because it is part of our studies on mass spec , which is in the Atomic structure section which is 3.1.1.

3.1.1 is only on paper 1 not paper 2

ReputationRep:
    The exam boards award predetermined amounts of each grade. It differs between subjects, and is based upon the GCSE results of those sitting that subject for that exam board.
    AQA will award between 20 and 21% A grades for AS Chemistry, just as they have for all recent years.
    An A grade for Chem2 was 67% for the new spec paper in 2009, but was 85% last year. A difficult paper means low grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleJag)
    You're probably correct about the cracking one, ohh that makes sense I had no idea what to put so last minute I wrote about electronegativity differences which is probably wrong now I've read what you've put
    Do you remember what you got for the ideal gas one?
    0.113 m^3. For the last question for atom economy I put first method but I don't think i'll get the mark coz I put that there is more chance of reactants being lost in the second method have no idea but now that I think of it doesn't really make sense to me. For the bond angles question I got octahedral and 90 degrees and for the second one I got trigonal bypyramidal with one lone pair. And I put 87.5 as the bond angle lol were you supposed to put two or something? And also for the chain isomer for but-1-ene could you put but-1-ene with 4 carbons in a straight chain and 1 double bond carbon position 1?

ReputationRep:
    Had to guess 10 multiple choices and being I lost around 12 marks on the main paper itself, will I still be in for the B, don't really mind not getting an A as these exams don't count anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rheajain)
    0.113 m^3. For the last question for atom economy I put first method but I don't think i'll get the mark coz I put that there is more chance of reactants being lost in the second method have no idea but now that I think of it doesn't really make sense to me. For the bond angles question I got octahedral and 90 degrees and for the second one I got trigonal bypyramidal with one lone pair. And I put 87.5 as the bond angle lol were you supposed to put two or something? And also for the chain isomer for but-1-ene could you put but-1-ene with 4 carbons in a straight chain and 1 double bond carbon position 1?
    I think I got that too for the gas equation. For atom economy one I put method one because 100% of product was H3PO4- not sure though. Yep I got octahedral too, but I though the other was see-saw but we didn't have to name that one did we? I got 173 as the angle you could put two angles I think but you would still get the mark for one. For the chain isomer I wasn't sure what to put I just made up something- I think I put in a methyl group on a propene chain,
    What other questions were there?

ReputationRep:
    can anyone please forward me the ocr specimen papers set 2 ?

ReputationRep:
    Fragmentation in the aqa text book is on unit 2

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicine71012)
    Unofficial mark scheme?
    Have u got the unoffical mark scheme

can someone be clear about the topics on the next paper? i know it's gonna heavily focus on organic chemistry and will have kinetics but what else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain khan)
    Have u got the unoffical mark scheme
    (Original post by medicine71012)
    Unofficial mark scheme?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4125207

ReputationRep:
    I think I got that too for the gas equation. For atom economy one I put method one because 100% of product was H3PO4- not sure though. Yep I got octahedral too, but I though the other was see-saw but we didn't have to name that one did we? I got 173 as the angle you could put two angles I think but you would still get the mark for one. For the chain isomer I wasn't sure what to put I just made up something- I think I put in a methyl group on a propene chain,
    What other questions were there?
    No we didn't have to name it. Because if we did I have no idea what it would be called, haven't learnt it I don't think. Oh what type of cracking and conditions, how do van der Waal's forces arise, empirical formula, definitions of empirical and relative atomic mass, balancing and finishing equations off, observations ( I put bubbles of co2 gas), trend in ionisation energies across period 3, deviations in period 3 ionisation energy trends, which one has the highest melting point, that successive ionisation energy question, how are ions detected and you had to tick a box of what would accelerate the ions or something. And then yeah can't remember if there were any other questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemondtan)
    I thought redox titrations were A2? Like using KMnO4 and all that?
    The thing is I've already done a titration experiment in class using potassium manganate, which is a redox one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_souls)
    The thing is I've already done a titration experiment in class using potassium manganate, which is a redox one.
    Cool, what are the practicals you've done??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rheajain)
    No we didn't have to name it. Because if we did I have no idea what it would be called, haven't learnt it I don't think. Oh what type of cracking and conditions, how do van der Waal's forces arise, empirical formula, definitions of empirical and relative atomic mass, balancing and finishing equations off, observations ( I put bubbles of co2 gas), trend in ionisation energies across period 3, deviations in period 3 ionisation energy trends, which one has the highest melting point, that successive ionisation energy question, how are ions detected and you had to tick a box of what would accelerate the ions or something. And then yeah can't remember if there were any other questions
    I put thermal cracking. I wasn't sure how van der waals arise, what did you put? Yeah I put bubbles too, did you get NaCl as a product of the other reaction? Silicon has the highest melting point right? Which was the successive ionisation one, is that the one where you had to predict which element it was?
    There was that other maths question, the second part to the ideal gas equation one do you remember what you got for that one? I got 1.8 or something like that. There was also the relative atomic mass calculation, other than that I think that was all of them

ReputationRep:
    I put thermal cracking. I wasn't sure how van der waals arise, what did you put? Yeah I put bubbles too, did you get NaCl as a product of the other reaction? Silicon has the highest melting point right? Which was the successive ionisation one, is that the one where you had to predict which element it was?
    There was that other maths question, the second part to the ideal gas equation one do you remember what you got for that one? I got 1.8 or something like that. There was also the relative atomic mass calculation, other than that I think that was all of them
    I literally just put that temporary dipoles are set up between the molecules lol. Yeah I think I did! yes silicon does have the highest melting point. Yeah, I think I put sulphur as the biggest jump was between 6 and 7. I don't remember what I put I think I got 1.2 something as the mass? Yeah that was piss easy tho I was like wow. They didn't even give a graph

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.