Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have tips for multiple choice?
    I'm actually dreading that section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatIsSleep)
    Ummmm Guess? On the first exam I did the multi-choice questions first but that meant I almost ran out of time...So I would just leave them to the end so then if you nearly run out of time you can just guess the last few...They are only 1 mark each...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivanisinha1998)
    Is atomic structure on the paper? Also do we need to know equations for tollens reagent and fehlings solution?
    With Tollen's and Fehling's I think that you just need to know the positive and negative results for aldehyde and ketone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamWallisjr)
    Ummmm Guess? On the first exam I did the multi-choice questions first but that meant I almost ran out of time...So I would just leave them to the end so then if you nearly run out of time you can just guess the last few...They are only 1 mark each...
    Lmao that was my strategy for the last paper
    But I think they make up 15 marks of the paper!! there has to be a trick to it tbh, you cant be expected to work out all that stuff for a mark

ReputationRep:
    no and I'm not sure, what kinda equations?
    Tollens reagent
    CH3CHO + 2Ag+ + H20 ---> CH3COOH + 2AG + 2H+

Fehling's solution
    CH3CHO + 2Cu2+ +2H2O ---> CH3COOH + Cu2O + 4H+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivanisinha1998)
    Tollens reagent
    CH3CHO + 2Ag+ + H20 ---> CH3COOH + 2AG + 2H+

Fehling's solution
    CH3CHO + 2Cu2+ +2H2O ---> CH3COOH + Cu2O + 4H+
    wait nevermind
    i wouldn;t bother learning them but it's up to you

ReputationRep:
    i've never seen those in my life BUT it might be helpful to remember them because they could possibly ask a redox question on it
    Redox is not in this exam mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moshe015)
    Redox is not in this exam mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ohh haha then it's irrelevant :P

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible for any of the six practicals to come up or is it only specific to the topics in unit 2, if so which ones can come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G2S)
    Is it possible for any of the six practicals to come up or is it only specific to the topics in unit 2, if so which ones can come up?
    Yes, any of the 6 can come up

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering...For elimination reactions is there only 1 reaction we need to know? - - - With ethanol and OH- ions and obviously a halogenoalkane (all under heat)?

(Original post by AdamWallisjr)
    I was just wondering...For elimination reactions is there only 1 reaction we need to know? - - - With ethanol and OH- ions and obviously a halogenoalkane (all under heat)?
    I'm not sure but my teacher said you should know the dehydration of cyclohexanol to cyclohexene mechanism (which is basically the same as the ethanol one)

ReputationRep:
    We were asked last time to write up about the voumetric solution preparation, so I would guess that would rule out assessed practical one. Assessed practical four is on identifying cations (group 2) and anions (group 7) which is part of periodicity so again I would say that is unlikely to come up. The remaining four practicals can come up, so just prioritise those. I would say that assessed practical 5 or 6 is more likely to come up though.

ReputationRep:
    Well on the good side of things the Exam is at 1pm so we can sleep in....yay

ReputationRep:
    Same - i found it awful on the 1st paper!

ReputationRep:
    Regarding multiple choice, it was advised that you spend 65 minutes doing the main part of the exam, and 25 on the multiple choice: this worked for me in paper one.

However, I would also do the main section first as if you are rushed for time and by rushed I mean you have about 5 minutes left, at least you will be able to guess some multiple choice ones. Having said that, because time is so tight, definitely move on if you know you can't do a question: it's better to answer questions later on that you can answer than to waste time and then miss easy marks on questions you can actually do.

Best of luck guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's the predictions for what's coming up?

ReputationRep:
    I just did the Paper 2 specimen paper (set 1). It was horrible. How did everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    I'm not sure but my teacher said you should know the dehydration of cyclohexanol to cyclohexene mechanism (which is basically the same as the ethanol one)
    How would you do that mechanism?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think bonding questions will come up? Paper 1 was pretty full of them so what do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.