Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The most disappointing game you've ever brought Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-rated)
    I saw the trailer in E3 for it, I wa pretty hyped for it until I saw it was a home designer and I was like "I ain't buying that s:banana::banana:t"

Also obligatory Metroid Prime federation force, it looks horrific and they've reduced the prime series to a chibi mess, but since there's not been a new Metroid game for around 7-8 years, I'm still going to buy it
    Ikr, i saw the trailer too, but i'm such a big animal crossing fan i had to buy it. Bitterly regretting it though.

Hope your other game turns out alright though.

ReputationRep:
    Halo 4

ReputationRep:
    Fifa 16.. man they really messed that up

ReputationRep:
    Homefront

ReputationRep:
    Rome Total War 2

How do you mess up what should have been improving the graphics on one of the best RTS games in existence?!?!

I still play the original, but RTW2 disappointed me and finalised my rejection of any kind of preorder (a rule i only broke for Dark Souls 3) - it was the game that single handedly lost my trust in the industry.

ReputationRep:
    COD Ghosts o.o

ReputationRep:
    COD: ghosts. Disappointment at its finest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    Rome Total War 2

How do you mess up what should have been improving the graphics on one of the best RTS games in existence?!?!

I still play the original, but RTW2 disappointed me and finalised my rejection of any kind of preorder (a rule i only broke for Dark Souls 3) - it was the game that single handedly lost my trust in the industry.
    Prepare to be even more disappointed by warhammer total war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Prepare to be even more disappointed by warhammer total war.
    I'm not buying it, at least until i've seen multiple reviews. I love warhammer and i love(d) total war but they let me down so badly I have no faith in CA any more. Though I'd like a 40k RTS, i find the setting better as its all fancy sci fi =P

ReputationRep:
    COD ghosts, I love cod so much cod 4,5,6. But ghosts was ****

ReputationRep:
    Battlefield 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    I'm not buying it, at least until i've seen multiple reviews. I love warhammer and i love(d) total war but they let me down so badly I have no faith in CA any more. Though I'd like a 40k RTS, i find the setting better as its all fancy sci fi =P
    Seen so many things that it looks even worse:
    Several cities have the same layout including major ones (such as the main empire city and some dwarf one)
    Units can just spawn ladders (wtf)
    Aerial units because **** the walls
    Graphics are not even that impressive for the hype on it
    Even more simplified apparently, e.g. the ladders as before (so the AI doesn't go full ****** when it cannot do something or just something hard)
    Some footage has made it look like its following the annoying script deaths in R2 and attila, before this units would say swing a sword and it could kill. Now still looks like a kill animation needs to occur for someone to die.
    "Cave battles" are basically just normal battles with a massive ****in cave skin. Not exactly the most revolutionary thing as once spoken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Seen so many things that it looks even worse:
    Several cities have the same layout including major ones (such as the main empire city and some dwarf one)
    Units can just spawn ladders (wtf)
    Aerial units because **** the walls
    Graphics are not even that impressive for the hype on it
    Even more simplified apparently, e.g. the ladders as before (so the AI doesn't go full ****** when it cannot do something or just something hard)
    Some footage has made it look like its following the annoying script deaths in R2 and attila, before this units would say swing a sword and it could kill. Now still looks like a kill animation needs to occur for someone to die.
    "Cave battles" are basically just normal battles with a massive ****in cave skin.
    Attilla had that, about five city models with more or less buildings depending on level. Medieval 2 went from a little set of huts to a damn four segmented citadel, the design was amazing. The first time i assaulted a citadel was genuinely breath-taking, to see the size and defences of such a leviathan. How can a more modern game have less stuff in?!

The ladders used to be a manageable asset, I liked the element of if you didnt build enough or mismanaged them you'd be stuck staring at the walls like a tard because all your siege equipment was on fire. Admittedly the AI could be easily baited into targeting cavalry which made it easy to move stuff up, but at least the element existed.

I'm ok with aerial units, i think it adds interesting potential to sieges. If you can dominate the sky you get in easily, if you lose the sky you'll lose more troops. Its a thematic dynamic.

I'd rather gameplay over graphics but the gameplay looks unimpressive.

After RTW2 and Attila I'm not surprised they're scaling back the AI. AngryJoe showed how shocking it is and i found out firsthand too. I won a siege where my city levy was massively out-numbered because I chose to fight in a thin street to corral the enemy reducing the effect of their numbers but i won easily not by tactics (i expected to lose but wanted to whittle them so my retaking forces had an easy time of it) but because the AI secured the central plaza and after sending a force to test my defences forgot all about me and sat there until the timer elapsed causing them to lose by default. I also had enemies refuse to attack, running up to my guys then running away again and taking casualties by arrows the whole time. There are lots more of annoying AI problems that should never make it through beta.

I hate the scripted method. I like the fighting anims but in Rome 1 the arrows were tangible, if they hit a shield they deflected, if they hit flesh they killed. The units damage was partly anims and partly stat balanced (again with anim damage being deflected or changed by shields and armour). It was a slick system. This new animation style means its entirely unpredictable, the battles are too short (as the anims chain) and its a legitimate tactic to spread your line super thin (as in R2) to get maximum chance of anims even though in reality a thin line would be easily breached and the unit slaughtered.

TW is going the wrong way, the spectacle came from the gameplay not stupid minor anims and fancy graphical tricks but this reality seems to be lost to CA

ReputationRep:
    Watchdogs, the hacking was dull and in some cases not optimised properly (you can't take a helicopter down from a car because the camera angle won't let you look at it), the story was unimaginative with plot threads that are underdeveloped, the protagonist was bland and unlikeable, the supporting characters are stereotypes as well as being bland, the combat in vehicles was boring and useless (would it be so hard to let us just shoot tires out whilst driving? Nope we have to find an environmental contextual button to press), the ground combat is too easy (seriously I died maybe two or three times on side missions whilst only using pistols on my playthrough).

Dragon Age: Inquisition, I just did not give a **** what was happening in this story. Granted I hadn't played the previous games but the gameplay was dull and poorly balanced as far as I could tell, the crafting mechanics are never explained nor are you really told they're a thing in the first place, and what was the point of the inventory limit.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days.
    Watch_Dogs (it was OK, but not what I expected).

ReputationRep:
    I think Resident Evil 6 and Final Fantasy 13 are on a par. They're my favourite game series but they took a HUGE nosedive with those particular games. Capcom and Square Enix need to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Super Mario Bros Wii. It's like they made no effort to improve it from the SNES version smh. Other than that I've liked all the games I've played because I trust the taste of the people who recommend them to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    So what's the most disappointing game you've brought, be it on a whim, or a serious purchase?

For me it'd be Dragon Age: Inquisition.
    I actually liked this game and completed two of the three dlcs as well. Loved it. Tough to get over the first couple of walls however?

(Original post by SmallDuck)
    Need for speed rivals.
    I also liked this game, and am considering buying it again for my xbone, just for the lols!

ReputationRep:
    Fallout 4.

ReputationRep:
    Assassins Creed revelations and Diablo 3 xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.