Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Humans are born with Canine teeth which over thousands of years have developed so they can easily cut through meat as you chew.

Also I know this sounds kinda odd, but if we didn't eat meat there would be an overload of animals on the planet because no ones eating them which would make them go extinct because there wouldn't be enough food for them all. Animals like Cows/Sheep/Pigs/Chickens are bred to be killed and eaten which is why they're still around. If we didn't eat them they would eventually die out due to us not breeding them... they're farm animals. If farmers just stopped caring about them on day they probably wouldn't exist..
    I don't mean to offend but do you eat snakes, tigers, lions, humans coz I think the species are surviving without you having to eat them

ReputationRep:
    I eat meat because it tastes good, it's as simple as that.

Animal meat, light cheese, starchy carbs, veg is my diet and that will never change. I'd love to become a vegetarian, but I can't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian (soon to be vegan) and I think that as long as they're humanely killed (e.g. quick and painless) with suitable living conditions (free range and top quality feed), then that's the best the meat industry will ever be. But I do believe LESS meat should be consumed, as the quantity of meat produced in one year is unbelievable!

ReputationRep:

:crazy:

/Thread

ReputationRep:
    If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have invented KFC Popcorn chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    eh I'm unsure.

You can make a moral argument against slavery, but lets say we're dealing with an organic plantation since as well as organic feedstuff they have higher welfare conditions than in their original country. The slaves roam around outside, they're kept safe from natural predation which is a lot more "immoral" (as in a violent death via lion, tiger etc). They're numbers are higher than would exist without our race providing them with safety and food, and when they're old enough they're killed via an instantaneous method which does not stress the rest of their family (as they don't treat other slaves walking amongst them as a threat and don't witness the deaths of their relatives).
    It's stupid to say that just because their numbers are higher, it's ok to exploit them.

ReputationRep:
    The taste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    It's stupid to say that just because their numbers are higher, it's ok to exploit them.
    Don't exploit poor innocent plants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    yeah because homo sapiens and Gallus gallus domesticus are absolutely on par with each other when it comes to sentience.

I hope to **** you don't ever take medication...or use any products humanity has ever made use of that have chemicals in them you could be exposed to (read everything in existence, including organic foodstuffs obviously) as they'll all have been tested on rodents/dogs/primates at some point, we enslave them for research, I assume that's just as wrong, as it isn't strictly necessary (we could experiment on our own species).

There is no way a species can exist without exploiting another to some degree, and for the dominant species, to a great degree. How about habitat destruction so we can all sit around eating our soy and drinking almond milk and saying how ghastly those meativores are. Then there's harvest time, thousands upon thousands of small animals shredded to ribbons as the harvester passes over. Or changing the environment by building dams, urbanizing swaths of the world etc.

EDIT: Released you said you don't care about the moral aspect of eating meat anyway lol, well this can apply to those that do.

ReputationRep:
    It tastes good...

ReputationRep:
    Does it need to be justified?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's tasty and nutritious, and meat products are often an important part of lots of different meals. It's just easier for me to get the nutrients I need on a diet including meat.

I'm also not very adventurous with food, and I would probably starve to death or end up malnourished if I tried to go vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielleegolds)
    top quality feed
    What would you consider to be top quality feed? TMR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec;[url="tel:63281137")
    63281137[/url]]What would you consider to be top quality feed? TMR?
    Organic therefore <5% non organic food ingredients eg. Additives/aids, to put it broadly - a suitable, healthy diet for the livestock which is also profitable for the farmer.

As well as this a reduced amount of antibiotics as antibiotic resistance is a big enough problem without over-use In animal agriculture!

ReputationRep:
    Organic therefore <5% non organic food ingredients eg. Additives/aids, to put it broadly - a suitable, healthy diet for the livestock which is also profitable for the farmer.

As well as this a reduced amount of antibiotics as antibiotic resistance is a big enough problem without over-use In animal agriculture!
    What do you actually know about animal feed already? Because from the sound of it not a lot.

Which antibiotics would you suggest not using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    What do you actually know about animal feed already? Because from the sound of it not a lot.

Which antibiotics would you suggest not using?
    I've just realised I confused myself and got animal products and animal feed mixed up! In terms of TMR, it produces results for a reason and I think it is quite effective when it's being weighed/mixed correctly. What are your opinions?

Well it's not specifically 1 particular antibiotic, however more the amount added, surely that is the bigger issue? As you said I'm not an expert and my opinion may not be entirely accurate, but my point was good maintenance of livestock health would result in a better meat industry overall, even if the effects are minimal.

ReputationRep:
    Humans are designed to eat meat, it's natural. The only difference is we now farm it instead of having to hunt it.

Life without bacon and steak wouldn't be worth living.

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised I confused myself and got animal products and animal feed mixed up! In terms of TMR, it produces results for a reason and I think it is quite effective when it's being weighed/mixed correctly. What are your opinions?

Well it's not specifically 1 particular antibiotic, however more the amount added, surely that is the bigger issue? As you said I'm not an expert and my opinion may not be entirely accurate, but my point was good maintenance of livestock health would result in a better meat industry overall, even if the effects are minimal.
    I could write an essay about animal feed, however to keep it short the most profitable and generally highest standards units mix correctly and calculate their mix to maximise growth and nutritional value per growth stage dependant on outside factors. I generally prefer a suckler system (beef) with winter housing and all year grazing with supplemented feed for sheep but this cannot always be achieved. I won't get into poultry mainly because I don't like it and I'm not going into pigs because they are much more complicated and this post will never end.

Antibiotics are not added to feed in the EU, in fact it has been banned for over a decade. The only time I have seen it used (and legally) is when it is added to water during lambing to reduce the number of cases of watery mouth in intensive indoor lambing.

The current generation of farmers are dying out and with that come the newer methods and higher standards across the board. Furthermore we are seeing a decline in small farms turning into larger co-operatives and also larger farms in general. This actually promotes animal welfare because on these larger farms more time is taken to improve standard because there is more capital to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I could write an essay about animal feed, however to keep it short the most profitable and generally highest standards units mix correctly and calculate their mix to maximise growth and nutritional value per growth stage dependant on outside factors. I generally prefer a suckler system (beef) with winter housing and all year grazing with supplemented feed for sheep but this cannot always be achieved. I won't get into poultry mainly because I don't like it and I'm not going into pigs because they are much more complicated and this post will never end.

Antibiotics are not added to feed in the EU, in fact it has been banned for over a decade. The only time I have seen it used (and legally) is when it is added to water during lambing to reduce the number of cases of watery mouth in intensive indoor lambing.

The current generation of farmers are dying out and with that come the newer methods and higher standards across the board. Furthermore we are seeing a decline in small farms turning into larger co-operatives and also larger farms in general. This actually promotes animal welfare because on these larger farms more time is taken to improve standard because there is more capital to do so.
    It's nice to hear about others opinions, I guess it really does depend on the context of the farm for what is available/most efficient. The antibiotics bit came as a reality check for me, as I've researched it previously however have probably been focusing on US production and consumption so should direct my concerns towards that area.

I'm quite happy that this countries welfare standards are definitely high in comparison to other places and so resulting in a better quality of life for the livestock overall. Is there anything to show that a healthier/happier/calmer animal produces better meat though? ( I've never really known whether this is true or not)

ReputationRep:
    We should encourage more Predator animals such as lions and tigers to come over here to eat some of the excess chickens and rabbits that will breed and take over if we don't eat them up. Also we need a few more elephants roving about to tread on small food animals that are not needed any more when we all become vegetarians. More cats are needed to quell excess mice and more banana trees are needed to be planted for vegetable foodstuffs to thrive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.