Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    MHoC By-election - March 2016

Fellow MHoCers,
    Shake off those Monday blues - it's election season once again! :bl:
    Seat 15 and Seat 35 held by the Green and Liberal parties respectively have been removed from them due to the findings of the recent Voting Review. As such a by-election has been called to elect 2 new MPs to the Model House of Commons.

Candidates/Parties now have 7 days to send me a manifesto for the by-election.

The procedure for this by-election is as set out in the Guidance Document:

1) The Speaker is responsible for everything surrounding TSR by-elections.

2) Manifestos are to be submitted to the Speaker by the deadline, any received after this time will be accepted at the Speaker’s discretion.

3) The restrictions on manifesto length and content shall be the same as in normal TSR General Elections.

4) Should there be fewer than 5 seats to be assigned, the resulting by-election may only be contested by independents or individuals running under a party banner.

5) Should there be 5 or more seats to be assigned, the criteria for normal TSR General Elections applies.

6) MPs are not eligible to stand.

7) An individual running under a party banner may win a maximum of 1 seat.

8) Should the condition in 4) be true:

8a) Each party may only have 1 candidate running running under their banner
    8b) If an equal number or fewer candidates stand than seats to be assigned, the by-election shall be cancelled.
    8c) The poll shall be a multiple choice vote, unless there is only 1 seat to be assigned.

9) Individuals who run under party banners will be identified as such and any seat won by them is held by the party.

10) Any person wishing to stand as an independent must resign from their former party.

11) All TSR members with more than 100 posts and 3 months experience may vote.

12) Should the condition in 4) be true, the candidates with the highest number of votes will be assigned a seat until they are all filled. Otherwise, the d'Hondt method shall be used to calculate seats. If an extra seat is required, it is permitted.

13) The results shall not affect who is in Government or Opposition.
    The timetable for the by-election is as follows:

By-Election Timetable
    • 7th March – Election is announced by The Speaker.
    • 7th March - The Speaker will inform interested candidates/parties to submit their manifestos
    • 14th March – All manifestos should have been received by The Speaker.
    • 14th March - The Speaker will post the manifestos in a thread in the Model House of Commons forum, add a secret 7 day poll with the option of “Spoilt Ballot” and send a message out to MPs informing them of the vote.
    • 21st March – The election closes and seats are assigned.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I suddenly don't like the idea of by-elections any more
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    First by-election during my time in the Model House of Commons. :eek: I feel so inexperienced all of a sudden. Pity I'm running it rather than plotting a gloriously partisan victory.

Ah well.

This should be an interesting experience - I'll take it as a practice round for the more daunting task of running the General Election.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    First by-election during my time in the Model House of Commons. :eek: I feel so inexperienced all of a sudden. Pity I'm running it rather than plotting a gloriously partisan victory.

Ah well.

This should be an interesting experience - I'll take it as a practice round for the more daunting task of running the General Election.
    Don't worry, you soon get over the hype of being involved with the running of elections
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Don't worry, you soon get over the hype of being involved with the running of elections
    You'll need to clue me in - I'm so green I didn't even know we're supposed to wait like two weeks before starting these things.

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to the contest.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    You'll need to clue me in - I'm so green I didn't even know we're supposed to wait like two weeks before starting these things.
    Well you know I like the Bakeoff, so it's a bit like this:

1) Open the recipe book to by-elections (Day 0 of the election)
    2) Set out the ingredients (let the parties write manifestos)
    3) Mix ingredients together and let bake (post manifestos up and let the voting commence)
    4) Place in oven for a seven day vote and voila, the new seats are assigned
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Ah well.

Eh I'm very sure I remember you were around for the July 2014 by-election...

Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2736079&page=2
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Eh I'm very sure I remember you were around for the July 2014 by-election...

Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2736079&page=2
    Damn, you're right! Back when I was a young man with only 1 or 2 months of MHoCing behind me. :moon:

Thanks for finding that - I shall read some of the stupid things I used to say/think/do.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Damn, you're right! Back when I was a young man with only 1 or 2 months of MHoCing behind me. :moon:

Thanks for finding that - I shall read some of the stupid things I used to say/think/do.
    Only used to?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Only used to?
    The stupid things I say/think/do are different to two years ago. I, thankfully, take myself a lot less seriously too. :laugh:

It's odd to think how much changes in a matter of months. Then again that's a long time for students.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well you know I like the Bakeoff, so it's a bit like this:

1) Open the recipe book to by-elections (Day 0 of the election)
    2) Set out the ingredients (let the parties write manifestos)
    3) Mix ingredients together and let bake (post manifestos up and let the voting commence)
    4) Place in oven for a seven day vote and voila, the new seats are assigned
    You and your darned cake analogies. How about we call you the Sous-Speaker of the Model House of Commons instead of Deputy?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    The stupid things I say/think/do are different to two years ago. I, thankfully, take myself a lot less seriously too. :laugh:

It's odd to think how much changes in a matter of months. Then again that's a long time for students.
    No arguments here I think that you find that really with a lot of people, as you feel more comfortable and fit into a role within the House.

It's scary sometimes to look back and think 'did I really post that?' I cringe at my really early posts, but then I was a lot younger
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    You and your darned cake analogies. How about we call you the Sous-Speaker of the Model House of Commons instead of Deputy?
    You know you like my cake analogies My only problem with that is that Sous-Speaker of the Model House of Commons abbreviates to SS of the MHoC - now I'm not a marketing expert, but I think that it's a route best not to go down.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well this'll be interesting.

Best of luck to all candidates.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No arguments here I think that you find that really with a lot of people, as you feel more comfortable and fit into a role within the House.

It's scary sometimes to look back and think 'did I really post that?' I cringe at my really early posts, but then I was a lot younger
    Yes, I think you're right. I think at some point last term I realised that the never-ending war wasn't worth it. This is supposed to be a charming, debating society with a twist. But the format can also lend itself to unpleasantness. I'd very much like to see this House become more jovial and friendly whilst maintaining a high standard of intelligent debate and passion from all sides.

We shall lead the House into a new golden age of top quality banter toronto, I'm quite sure of it.

My early posts... *shudders* I sure knew how to alienate people lol.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You know you like my cake analogies My only problem with that is that Sous-Speaker of the Model House of Commons abbreviates to SS of the MHoC - now I'm not a marketing expert, but I think that it's a route best not to go down.

:rofl:

That... is quite a good point actually. :' )

Best to leave that sort of stuff to our Serjeant(s).

ReputationRep:
    I can't/won't stand for the following reasons:

- my account hasn't reached the minimum account age;
    - I'm not very well-known here, so it is almost impossible for me to be elected, and;
    - I'm not sure how the election works, and what other requirements are.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all of the candidates!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, I think you're right. I think at some point last term I realised that the never-ending war wasn't worth it. This is supposed to be a charming, debating society with a twist. But the format can also lend itself to unpleasantness. I'd very much like to see this House become more jovial and friendly whilst maintaining a high standard of intelligent debate and passion from all sides.

We shall lead the House into a new golden age of top quality banter toronto, I'm quite sure of it.

My early posts... *shudders* I sure knew how to alienate people lol.
    I think that the moment you transcend the wars is the moment that you a) see the House for what it is and should be and b) become more relaxed about the game as a whole. This in turn then leads to the high quality of debate for which we're constantly striving.

I'm glad that you listen to your Deputy on the important issue of banter

Lol surprisingly I was the same - there's probably some who would say that I haven't changed

:rofl:

That... is quite a good point actually. :' )

Best to leave that sort of stuff to our Serjeant(s).
    All I can is thank god we don't take the first and last letters of words to abbreviate otherwise we'd have the same problem with Serjeants of the MHoC - are you sure there isn't something you're not telling us. :holmes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.