Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I think that the moment you transcend the wars is the moment that you a) see the House for what it is and should be and b) become more relaxed about the game as a whole. This in turn then leads to the high quality of debate for which we're constantly striving.

I'm glad that you listen to your Deputy on the important issue of banter

Lol surprisingly I was the same - there's probably some who would say that I haven't changed

All I can is thank god we don't take the first and last letters of words to abbreviate otherwise we'd have the same problem with Serjeants of the MHoC - are you sure there isn't something you're not telling us. :holmes:
    A wise observation. I think one of the best things a Speaker can strive for is to better the 'culture' of the MHoC.

You are learned in the ways after all.

Some perhaps, but most surely not! And ditto.

Look, I'm not saying that bringing about my vision of a greater MHoC requires absolute, unquestioning adherence to my ideology... I'm just saying do as I say... or else. :fuhrer: :hide:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This could be quite interesting, I wonder how an extra seat for the Tories and UKIP would go down.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This shall be a glorious battle. The Tories shall remove the heads of our opposition and use them as trophies when all is said and done.

Being serious, i look forward to both having a good old Labour-Tory battle and also battling Ukip on a playing field that's more even for them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    This could be quite interesting, I wonder how an extra seat for the Tories and UKIP would go down.
    Interestingly i believe that we won a mid-term by-election and made ourselves the largest party while in opposition once.

14 MP's would be our highest total since the 13th parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    First by-election during my time in the Model House of Commons. :eek: I feel so inexperienced all of a sudden. Pity I'm running it rather than plotting a gloriously partisan victory.

Ah well.

This should be an interesting experience - I'll take it as a practice round for the more daunting task of running the General Election.
    I believe you were here when St Bryn or something won the by-election.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well you know I like the Bakeoff, so it's a bit like this:

1) Open the recipe book to by-elections (Day 0 of the election)
    2) Set out the ingredients (let the parties write manifestos)
    3) Mix ingredients together and let bake (post manifestos up and let the voting commence)
    4) Place in oven for a seven day vote and voila, the new seats are assigned
    :rofl: I knew there was a reason I liked you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    This shall be a glorious battle. The Tories shall remove the heads of our opposition and use them as trophies when all is said and done.

Being serious, i look forward to both having a good old Labour-Tory battle and also battling Ukip on a playing field that's more even for them.
    I expect it to be more than a two or even three way battle.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's a same it's at the start of my two and a half weeks mostly abroad so I will effectively miss it, I will still be around a bit where I can, but the extent of that being around is as yet unknown
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Giving a seat to the two parties with the most votes at the end will give one seat to the Conservatives, and one seat to Labour; the coalition will be unchanged.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Giving a seat to the two parties with the most votes at the end will give one seat to the Conservatives, and one seat to Labour; the coalition will be unchanged.
    You actually have quite a decent shot considering it's a by-election and can take advantage of the lower turnout which the right tend to capitalise on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    You actually have quite a decent shot considering it's a by-election and can take advantage of the lower turnout which the right tend to capitalise on.
    For that to happen both right-wing parties will have to beat Labour which is unlikely; if it did happen there would be a new coalition larger than the existing one.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    For that to happen both right-wing parties will have to beat Labour which is unlikely; if it did happen there would be a new coalition larger than the existing one.
    Which wouldn't result in an instant change of power. You'd need a second MoNC which is kinda pointless right now seeing as we have just a bit more then a month before the GE.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Which wouldn't result in an instant change of power. You'd need a second MoNC which is kinda pointless right now seeing as we have just a bit more then a month before the GE.
    Yes, a second MoNC would be needed but the chances of it passing would be higher, but if a new coalition did not form it would still be more difficult for the government to do anything because it would be a smaller minority government.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely, but possible.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. I think you underestimate the number of potential Ukip voters on this forum, who could be attracted to vote for you if you used some conveniently-timed marketing techniques.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm not going to comment on any MONC, but let's consider it this way. The by-election finishes on 21st March, so even if any MONC were launched that day, that would conclude on 28th March, with 7 days of coalition building that brings us up to 4th April for a new Government forming. Since the GE is due for 30th April, I'd question whether there would be any point in a new Government forming for 26 days. That decision is for the Speaker, but that's my view on it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a second MoNC would be needed but the chances of it passing would be higher, but if a new coalition did not form it would still be more difficult for the government to do anything because it would be a smaller minority government.
    Yes but if you look at it the seats are announced on the 21st of March.
    That means that the 22nd is the earliest that a MoNC could be submitted.
    We find the results of that MoNC on the 29th and if it passes we find the results of a new coalition on the 5th of April.

Parliment closes on the 26th of April.

That would mean that the next government would only be in power for exactly 3 weeks. And TBH I REALLY hope that the right aren't that petty that they would make a grap for power for just 3 weeks in pretend office.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to comment on any MONC, but let's consider it this way. The by-election finishes on 21st March, so even if any MONC were launched that day, that would conclude on 28th March, with 7 days of coalition building that brings us up to 4th April for a new Government forming. Since the GE is due for 30th April, I'd question whether there would be any point in a new Government forming for 26 days. That decision is for the Speaker, but that's my view on it.
    I made the exact same point. Although parliament closes on the 26th not 30th
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I made the exact same point. Although parliament closes on the 26th not 30th
    Close enough and I made it first
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aph It is very unlikely a MoNC would be submitted, but there would still be a new coalition possible that will make the government a smaller minority than it is now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.