The Student Room Group

Living with partner through uni

Hey guys looking for a bit of advice,I have been with my partner for around 5 years, we are 21/22 and have lived together for around a year. I've applied to go to university for 2016 and we are unsure of living arrangements. he works full time and plans to either relocate and work full time or if I get into the uni for the city which we both currently live in, he will stay put. We wish to live together when I go uni as my course is 5 years (I'm planning to study vet med), so we are aware that we would have to go into private rather than uni halls. We were just wondering if anyone had any advice for our situation? Or how someone in a similar situation has found it - is it do-able?
Original post by danielles94
Hey guys looking for a bit of advice,I have been with my partner for around 5 years, we are 21/22 and have lived together for around a year. I've applied to go to university for 2016 and we are unsure of living arrangements. he works full time and plans to either relocate and work full time or if I get into the uni for the city which we both currently live in, he will stay put. We wish to live together when I go uni as my course is 5 years (I'm planning to study vet med), so we are aware that we would have to go into private rather than uni halls. We were just wondering if anyone had any advice for our situation? Or how someone in a similar situation has found it - is it do-able?

My partner and i have lived together for 2 years (mostly as students) and we've spent less on living costs than when we were in student accommodation and have much more space to play with. Your student finance is likely to be based on your partners income so bare that in mind when applying :smile:
Reply 2

Depending where you are going too... Just look at private accommodation. Tends to be cheaper. Everything is do-able if it is done right :smile:
Just a pont you will be liable for CT if you live with your partner and he isnt a student.
You will need at least 1 months deposit and first months rent.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Just a pont you will be liable for CT if you live with your partner and he isnt a student.
You will need at least 1 months deposit and first months rent.

I'm aware of that as we have already done that and live in a flat and pay council tax.. so we were wondering whether if would be financially possible to stay here during my studies. I recently got an offer from a university in the city where we live, so to stay here would be ideal!

my course is full on, so there would be no option for me to commit fully to even part time work (maybe a few hours here and there). Has anyone been in a similar situation before?
I'm aware of that as we have already done that and live in a flat and pay council tax.. so we were wondering whether if would be financially possible to stay here during my studies. I recently got an offer from a university in the city where we live, so to stay here would be ideal!

my course is full on, so there would be no option for me to commit fully to even part time work (maybe a few hours here and there). Has anyone been in a similar situation before?

Will you be an independent student according to student finance? The two of us lived off maximum student finance and didnt need money from part time work to be comfortable.
Reply 6
I've just read in another thread that, despite living together, because I'm under 25 and we are not married, that student finance won't assess his income and will access what I get based on my parents income?
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
Will you be an independent student according to student finance? The two of us lived off maximum student finance and didnt need money from part time work to be comfortable.

No I won't be an independent student
Reply 8
I've just read in another thread that, despite living together, because I'm under 25 and we are not married, that student finance won't assess his income and will access what I get based on my parents income?

That is the case unless you have been living independantly (financially supporting yourself) for three years prior to your course starting.
Reply 9
Original post by Jenx301
That is the case unless you have been living independantly (financially supporting yourself) for three years prior to your course starting.

Thank you :smile: No I haven't only for a year!
Thank you :smile: No I haven't only for a year!

No problem - in that case then you will be assessed by your parents income

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending