Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

More than 25% of Gen Y live with their parents, including 10% of men aged 30-34 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Saw an article that said the above. Gen Y = Ages 20-34

So just curious to see if anyone here lives at home with parents post graduation from uni, and if so, what's the reason for you living at home?

Please state your age as well if you care to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Saw an article that said the above. Gen Y = Ages 20-34

So just curious to see if anyone here lives at home with parents post graduation from uni, and if so, what's the reason for you living at home?

Please state your age as well if you care to.
    Could you link the article please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jassy16)
    Could you link the article please.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ed-demographic

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine being a 34 man and still living with parents. Milquetoast.

ReputationRep:
    recently turned 25 (graduated when 22).

Couldn't find full time employment for sometime (had part-time work). Now in full time degree related work but saving up for deposit towards house with partner (she with her parent), hoping to move out by the end of this year all going well.

And more info for you from a few others who I graduated with....

Two did masters degrees right after, one is in full time work (not using the masters afaik) and I believe recently moved into a flat with their partner albeit I think they are getting parental assistance towards living costs. The other still hasn't found work and is working part-time currently, and thus living with parents.

One is still traveling the world, I assume doing odd jobs though has wealthy background, believe parents contributed towards it.

One has a completely unrelated and no qualifications needed job, is full time. I think they live with a relative though unsure if recent situation has changed.

One is running a business with a relative, not using degree. Is living with their partner in mortgaged home.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect for many it is a sound financial choice in order to boost deposit savings. I'd have certainly considered it had my parents remained in the country.

ReputationRep:
    My parents live with me. Nothing wrong with it as I get to take care of them rather than vice-versa.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't graduate to be fair (had a breakdown in third year), but I still live at home.

I have a job as a manager in a charity shop, the pay is poor and where I live is very expensive. Been looking to move out for a year now but I'm at this point a 1 bed flat would cost about 120% of my monthly pay packet. Even moving with a friend I'd still be paying the majority of my wage packet in rent.

I still live at home because it is essentially a financial necessity.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Graduated last summer to what is officially a part time job but i average not far off full time. Moved out in November.

For those of you over 25 it's worth saying that you can suck it up and go through the council (rent paid by housing benefit). Instead of joining a que for years just apply for the properties with the least applicants.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm 18, left school last year. I am a manager in the bookmaking industry and could move out of my mum's place right now if I wanted to. However, only giving my mum so much money per month, which covers rent and food and utilities, at the moment is better for me than moving out.

I could very well move out, but even if I have to wait a few years to save up the deposit to buy my own place then living at home is still a small price to pay.

ReputationRep:
    I'm unemployed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I'm 18, left school last year. I am a manager in the bookmaking industry and could move out of my mum's place right now if I wanted to. However, only giving my mum so much money per month, which covers rent and food and utilities, at the moment is better for me than moving out.

I could very well move out, but even if I have to wait a few years to save up the deposit to buy my own place then living at home is still a small price to pay.
    How'd you get the managers job so quickly?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    How'd you get the managers job so quickly?
    I have experience in admin, finance and marketing, a tonne of references and a work ethic that leaves little to be desired. I've also done a lot of motivational speaking and whatnot, so when I applied for an AM position it wasn't long before I was told of a managerial vacancy nearby and I jumped at the chance.

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean to be a 'millenial'?

Millenials are manipulated by central government, they are seen as the resource that will cover the deficit caused by the irresponsible lending. Millenials will spend their whole lives paying off the debts of the rich, whilst simultaneously receiving prejudice for their perceived laziness, political indifference and complacency.

This generation is blamed as 'irresponsible', whilst assuming complete responsibilty for the frivolity of previous generations.

I can't blame some young people for staying with their parents, the government is here to reap what it can from them. Milenials are a scapegoat for the economic situation, they are subject to heavier taxes, reduced lending and job shortage, all the while, the public perceive them as having 'brought this upon themselves' through 'idleness'.

Open your eyes, the public always needs someone to blame.

ReputationRep:
    No rent controls, ridiculous house prices and to top it off council homes are becoming increasingly rare. The government don't care. Their answer to solving the housing problem seems to be building more luxury flats for rich foreigners / professionals while continuing to let 300-600k people into the country.

It's all engineered to make a select few very rich while reducing the overall quality of life for the ordinary citizen.
    Don't know why more people aren't up in arms about it. Another example of our bend-over-and-take-it British tolerance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    Don't know why more people aren't up in arms about it. Another example of our bend-over-and-take-it British tolerance.
    Keep in mind your saying this on a majority Tory voting forum. . A lot of people still buy in to the "if you work really hard you can make yourself into something" mantra which is getting more and more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    No rent controls, ridiculous house prices and to top it off council homes are becoming increasingly rare. The government don't care. Their answer to solving the housing problem seems to be building more luxury flats for rich foreigners / professionals while continuing to let 300-600k people into the country.

It's all engineered to make a select few very rich while reducing the overall quality of life for the ordinary citizen.
    Bend over and assume the position. No lubrication for you. Not even a reach-around and a kiss. Hard and dry.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Keep in mind your saying this on a majority Tory voting forum. . A lot of people still buy in to the "if you work really hard you can make yourself into something" mantra which is getting more and more difficult.
    I'm an 18 year old and can save about £6,000 a year, I'm from quite humble beginnings too. You can continue to blame the world for your own failings, like I once did, but sooner or later you grow up. Yes there is a housing crisis, which affects young people more than anyone else, but guess what, young people don't vote, so it's their own fault that the government isn't paying much attention to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    I don't think TSR is a majority Tory forum.

But I do agree that the "if you work really hard you can make yourself into something" mantra is well past its best before date. It's about as relevant as the "American dream"

Might have been true once upon a time but the odds are stacked against people these days. Upward social mobility is at an all time low in the UK and the US.

ReputationRep:
    24 about to turn 25

Graduated in 2013 did year long MSc in London straight after and it was vastly cheaper to live at home and commute than live in London. Year and a half later I've got part time work and inspite of a truly deeply depressing number of applications haven't gotten anywhere with full time employment in what I've studied so I'm still at home.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.