Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I stop my mother from invading my personal space?? Watch

She comes into my room on a daily whilst I'm here telling me how messy it is and even when its not telling me how this isn't meant to go there etc and also tries her very best to try and flower an argument. She organises secret meetings with my teachers ABOUT me without me even though my teachers want to see me and I only found this out by reading her emails. Now I find out she's been going into my room whilst I'm out. First my alcohol disappears even though it was under my bed in a bag filled with clothes. NOW I find out she found my medication which was hidden underneath a bunch of papers and bags in my bottom drawer. Why does she feel the need to invade my personal space when she reminds me almost weekly that she hates the fact I live here and wants me to move back to my dads? If she hates me that much then why is she trying to dig into every aspect of my life? Is she doing it just to spite me? Why can't I just be left alone?

ReputationRep:
    Pee against your door frame and smear yourself with your feces. She wont want to go anywhere near your room or you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She comes into my room on a daily whilst I'm here telling me how messy it is and even when its not telling me how this isn't meant to go there etc and also tries her very best to try and flower an argument. She organises secret meetings with my teachers ABOUT me without me even though my teachers want to see me and I only found this out by reading her emails. Now I find out she's been going into my room whilst I'm out. First my alcohol disappears even though it was under my bed in a bag filled with clothes. NOW I find out she found my medication which was hidden underneath a bunch of papers and bags in my bottom drawer. Why does she feel the need to invade my personal space when she reminds me almost weekly that she hates the fact I live here and wants me to move back to my dads? If she hates me that much then why is she trying to dig into every aspect of my life? Is she doing it just to spite me? Why can't I just be left alone?
    age?

ReputationRep:
    get your own house ...

ReputationRep:
    Lmao. Like mother like child.

ReputationRep:
    Put 2 or 3 chain locks on the door. Do what she does to you. Go into her room and rearrange things while she's not there. If it gets bad then tell your school what's going on and ask them for advice. It seems like she's a control freak. You could see if you could move back to your Dad's. You should definitely tell him what's going on. It could be classed as harassment, emotional, psychological or domestic abuse. It depends how bad things are. If she gets violent and aggressive then call the police. If she threatens you then you need to tell someone.

I hope you can sort things out.

ReputationRep:
    Well hows about:
    1) you tidy your room.
    2)You put the alcohol downstairs in the cupboards (because if your old enough to drink it she shouldnt have an issue with it there!).
    3)Perhaps do better in school, (im assuming your grades are low or you get in trouble or you have a severe lack of homework etc etc because she seems to need to talk to your teachers quite a lot.)
    4) put your medication downstairs in a cupboard, there isnt really a desperate need for medication upstairs unless its a night-time issue (Why do you need to hide it unless its illegal or for an issue your mother doesn't believe you have!)
    5) Dont read other people's emails. It's just rude.

I dont care if she went through your stuff, shes the parent, you're the child. All you can do is behave and ask her if she would lay off a little. If she says no and you cant deal with it, then maybe its high time you left the nest/ go to your dads.

( I am sorry that she doesnt seem to favour you very highly however, thats not right for a parent!)

(Original post by djkilol)
    age?

(Original post by NekoAngel13)
    Put 2 or 3 chain locks on the door. Do what she does to you. Go into her room and rearrange things while she's not there. If it gets bad then tell your school what's going on and ask them for advice. It seems like she's a control freak. You could see if you could move back to your Dad's. You should definitely tell him what's going on. It could be classed as harassment, emotional, psychological or domestic abuse. It depends how bad things are. If she gets violent and aggressive then call the police. If she threatens you then you need to tell someone.

I hope you can sort things out.
    She has a lock on her room and sometimes (rarely though) when she forgets to lock it and I go in there to get her out of my room, she goes absolutely crazy. She's starts screaming and becoming abusive and its a whole load of f*ckery. She IS a control freak. I can't really DO anything until I move out for university I guess :L A year and a half to go! My dad knows what she is like and my dad does want me to move back in with him. However I don't like staying with my dad either, the environment there makes me really depressed. But then again so does this environment. I guess I can't do anything but grit my teeth Or maybe I'm just doing this to myself when I know she doesn't want me.

urGh sigh

ReputationRep:
    If you're 17 she has the right to take your alcohol away tbh

ReputationRep:
    pepper spray.

ReputationRep:

She has a lock on her room and sometimes (rarely though) when she forgets to lock it and I go in there to get her out of my room, she goes absolutely crazy. She's starts screaming and becoming abusive and its a whole load of f*ckery. She IS a control freak. I can't really DO anything until I move out for university I guess :L A year and a half to go! My dad knows what she is like and my dad does want me to move back in with him. However I don't like staying with my dad either, the environment there makes me really depressed. But then again so does this environment. I guess I can't do anything but grit my teeth Or maybe I'm just doing this to myself when I know she doesn't want me.

urGh sigh
    Maybe staying with your dad is the lesser of two evils. If he treats you better than she does anyway. You could patch things up with your dad and make things work between you. It might take some effort. See what you can do to make the atmosphere less depressing. Positivity breeds positivity. Negativity breeds negativity.

You could record her when she's hurling abuse at you then show it to teachers in school. They can't ignore video/audio evidence. If they don't pay attention then go to the police. You might get put into care but at least you won't have to deal with their ****. You shouldn't have to put up with it.

Have you tried calmly, seriously talking to her about your boundaries and how it makes you feel? If you sit down and tell her how she's making you feel, you might be surprised. I don't know either of you so I don't know how she'll react. It's worth a shot though.

(Original post by NekoAngel13)
    Maybe staying with your dad is the lesser of two evils. If he treats you better than she does anyway. You could patch things up with your dad and make things work between you. It might take some effort. See what you can do to make the atmosphere less depressing. Positivity breeds positivity. Negativity breeds negativity.

You could record her when she's hurling abuse at you then show it to teachers in school. They can't ignore video/audio evidence. If they don't pay attention then go to the police. You might get put into care but at least you won't have to deal with their ****. You shouldn't have to put up with it.

Have you tried calmly, seriously talking to her about your boundaries and how it makes you feel? If you sit down and tell her how she's making you feel, you might be surprised. I don't know either of you so I don't know how she'll react. It's worth a shot though.
    I tried living with my dad for like a year and trying to work through it etc but then eventually decided that it was indeed my mothers house which was the lesser of the 2 evils.

I dont want to draw that sort of attention to myself.

Yes I have and each time she just reminds me that she is the mother and she can do whatever the hell she wants and if I don't like it then I can get out. She does not understand boundaries and even adults that have met her have said that.

I just have to soldier through it I guess.

ReputationRep:
    You can't stop her. She's your mum.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.